“Disappointed for the 1st time in Holiday Inn Express”

Holiday Inn Express Van Nuys
Ranked #159 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I've stayed in this hotel twice within the last 60 days. After the first experience I thought they were just having a bad few days, until this time. The first visit was 4 days. This pre-paid stay by my business was 5 days. The staff's persona seemed to have a not to care attitude. Pillows terrible. Breakfast presentation was less than acceptable; ie, cold processed ham sandwich meat folded in half for the breakfast meat on multiple days, pancake machine didn't function properly, cereal labeled incorrectly, the layout/flow and presentation was unlike any other HIE I have stayed. Finally, the coffe in the urns was luke warm to cold on more than one occasion.

At $154 per night the price for the value was way overpriced. Only stayed the whole time because of prepayment and proximity to the business I was conducting.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
HolidayInn V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Van Nuys, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

The whole staff and management would like to extend our apologies for your inconvenience. We all are striving to deliver a great service that our guests would love us, unfortunately we missed on your expectations, and would like to be able to correct them by hoping to be able to be of a service to you the next time.

Thank you for your comments and appreciate your time.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

Overall, my stay was more than satisfactory.

However, I am confused as to why you have a "green" policy as it wasn't followed during my stay. I not only hung up my used towels/bath mat, but I made my bed. I also left a note for housekeeping stating that I needed no change of towels or bedding during my 4 day stay (and stated the date I was checking out).

But they kept on changing/washing!?!?!?

I support your "green" policy ... let's use it!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Catherine H
HolidayInn V, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Van Nuys, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write such kind words and great review.

Appreciate your time.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

The hotel was great to stay in, the area is not the greatest, but it is surrounded by car dealerships which is not that bad as others mentioned. The hotel just got remodeled and the rooms are nice! Check in was fast and Ali was very helpful! Was there for one night, but will definitely stay here again! The rooms are quiet and with clean sheets. This hotel is your best option compared to the other horrible hotels around! Parking and breakfast is free!

Room Tip: Request room away from the 405. Did not stay on the 405 side, but ill recommend you to
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
HolidayInn V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Van Nuys, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Thank you so much for spreading the good news. We all greatly appreciate your kind respond, and hopefully you'll stay with us again.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

The hotel wasn't bad overall but there was a plastic sheet underneath the bottom sheet on the bed. Did they think I was a bed wetter? I've never been to a hotel that had a plastic sheet. It was uncomfortable to sleep on. A pretty dicey neighborhood, homeless people wandering around. But the hotel itself did seem safe. I picked it because it was close to where I was working but I'm not sure I'll stay there again. The staff was very nice, no complaints there.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

The entire staff and management would like to extend our apologies if you thought that way. We didn't mean anything, those are brand new pillow-top bed. And we are all hoping that we would be given a chance to meet with you and stay with us again. Please accept our apologies.

Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

I was stuck in traffic and needed to get the heck out of it. And there it was, a holiday inn express. Great service at the desk. 5th floor room. Pretty sweet view. The room was big. But skinny. Restroom was a tad cramped. I can see why a lady would be a bit cramped doing make up and all. Overall. A good stay. Will be back my next time in.

• Stayed: February 2013

The whole staff and management were so happy to receive such wonderful respond from our guests especially the one you left for this property. Thank you very much, and hope to be of service to you again.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

Roscoe Blvd.ambience w/405 Freeway, helicopters(very brightly lit)-however this is prime location for tired travelers like me who need to return to work. rate 2X no-tell motels on the nearby strip, and it had nice elevator, quiet room, drapes insulate against noise, same as "nicer" downtown hotels. It is the "barrio", if you consider Galpin Ford, the offramp and Dennys a neighborhood...but where isn't, in LA?This pejorative is infuriating, as it spotlights a heritage that is irrelevant. If you cannot drive in, park, register and go to your room, stay out of the Valley.

Room Tip: Rooms facing away form the stret quieter but there is a freeway nearby, use insulating curtains. Not...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
HolidayInn V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Van Nuys, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

The hotel and staff appreciate your respond. Thank you and hope you choose to stay with us again.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stay here several times each year for the past twenty five years years, always super clean and all the staff is GREAT ! This location is right off of the 405. at Roscoe blvd. the parking area is well lighted, never any problems leaving my vehicle unattended. When I have to travel to southern California for business, I choose the Holiday Inn Express Van Nuys

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
HolidayInn V, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Van Nuys, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Thank you so much for noticing the cleanliness of the hotel.

Appreciate your great surveys/review.