“Location Location”

Ranked #147 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
Jekyll Island, Georgia
“Location Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2012

Standard Holiday Inn Express but a great location if you're traveling by. It's not in the very best neighbor but essentially across the street from the 405 and within a block of the exit. There is also a Taco Bell and a Denny's right next door. Although it’s close to the Freeway, I didn't have a problem with the road noise. The exterior of the hotel is undergoing a makeover and the interior is scheduled for painting. The staff is very friendly. The building is older but well maintained and looks and feels younger that it is.

Room Tip: Rooms looking east have a better view when there is no smog.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank dos7940

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Hebrew first
Newport, Rhode Island
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2012

My issue is a customer service issue. As I arrived from the flyaway around 11:00 p.m. on a Friday and checked in for the first time to an Express I quickly went up to my room and started dosing off when I received a phone call not even an hour later in regards to my sister who was involved in a serious automobile accident. I quickly jumped out of bed and ran to the hospital. The next morning I called customer care. They said more than likely the management would understand and be able to either refund my stay or give me a significant discount being that I only occupied my room for an hour or so. I had not heard back from management until Monday around 3:30 p.m. Surprisingly the manager said there was nothing she could do as the maids report indicated a full cleaning. HUH??? changing the sheets and cleaning a toilet is considered a full cleaning. Anyway, she offered no sympathy and ended up charging me a full night's stay. This is definitely a Hotel I will not return to ever again nor recommend to anyone for the lack of customer service that they provided me. I don't wish this upon anyone but if it should happen ask the hotel what they can do if an emergency occurs before you pay them.

Room Tip: Ask what there refund policy is before checking in to a room.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Vanessa L

Travelers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2012

I've heard Holiday Inn Expresses described as "bare bones" so I was pleasantly surprised to awaken to a decent breakfast set up in the morning. I particularly liked the ample, fluffy eggs. They were doing renovations while I was there, but this didn't result in any inconveniences. The staff was nice. My room was clean and the bathoom was fine and a decent size; my only issue was that it was a bit difficult to seal the shower curtain so that no water leaked out.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank rayl33
Kailua Kona, HI
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2011

One night stay at this HIE. Friendly welcoming staff with efficient check in. Our room was clean and bed very comfortable. Breakfast was the usual fare with hostess greeting everyone and keeping hot items well stocked.
The bathroom was the smallest I've seen for a HIE. Even smaller than ones in Europe. Only one person could be in there at a time (one sink). Although it has been refinished, the quality of workmanship of the tile and painting was poor. The door needed refinishing with rusty hinges and worn lower edge, just not up to the usual HIE standards.
Ate at this cool diner "the Horseless Carriage" just around the corner that was situated in the Ford Dealership.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Keikidoc
Sherrill, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2011

Stayed one night and staff and room were good. Nicely furnished and facilities were fine. Was pleasantly surprised that my nephew who goes to UC Northridge was just down the road. Convenient to expressway and in a quiet area. No issues with orders or room being too small as cited in other reviews. Area is a bit blah, but hotel itself met our needs just fine.

Room Tip: Would stay here again.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank Mike G
Bakersfield, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2011

This hotel's customer service is the worst I have ever experienced... all the way from the man that ran the desk all the way to the general manager. I travel quite extensively due to my job and I am a Gold Prioirity Rewards member. One of the perks of being a Gold Member is upgrading. I requested an upgrade which was not even acknowledged with no explanation as to why it was not available. My husband, who was with me at the time, is disabled and needs a bath tub to bathe in. When we checked into the room and I started to prepare to give him a bath, I discovered that the tub was damaged at the bottom and it would be rather uncomfortable for my husband to sit in. I went to the front fesk and advised of the damaged tub and the gentleman at the front desk advised that he had no rooms available. The hotel was not even crowded what so ever. I knew that there was no way that it full. Finally, the man advised that he would call his supervisor and see if he could move me to one of the rooms that were empty but taken off the available list. I then asked him where the laundry facilities were and he stated that the hotel did not have one on premises so I asked where a nearby laundromat was. He stated that he would find out and when he called to advise me of what his supervisor said he would give me the location of a laundromat. I went back upstairs and waited for over an hour with no phone call. I called the front desk and was advised that that associate had left for the night and had not said a word about the issue with the tub. The associate said that he would send keys up so that we could move, which he did. After repacking, moving to the new roome cart ,and unpacking, we went downstairs to return the luggage cart and the keys from the priginal room. We asked the associate then where the nearest laundromat was and to our amazement, he stated tyat there was one on the 4th floor!!! I was livid and advised that the other associate had told us that there was not one. I asked for quarters and laundry soap and just as the guy reaches under t he counter to hand me a boix of soap he tries to make excuses that the prior associate had only been employed for 30 days and probably did not know that there was a laundry room on premises. If there was laundry soap under the counter, what would that associate think the laundry soap was for???
By this time, we are looking at three and a half hours of messing with these people. By t he time I got my husband bathed and got my laundry done and got to bed, it was after 1:30 a.m. I had to be up by 6:00 a.m.

To make matter worse, I got the general managers name and number and when I contacted her and told her my experience, she said she would look into it and call me back. I never heard back from her. I ca
lled her again and she acted as if she did not know what I was talking about and was extremely rude. I advised her that I wanted my points back or something for my compensation. She refused me and acted as if I had nothing to complain about. I asked for her supervisor's information and she told me that she was the head honcho. To make sure that I understood her correctly, I said, "so your the head of Holiday Inn huh?" to which she said yes she was.
I did end up calling Holiday Inn's Consumer Complaint dept and eventually got one half of my points back. It's b etter than nothing. I can not believe what horrible service and what a bunch of liars they are.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank JustcallmeTab
Simpsonville, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2011

We have always had great success staying in a Holiday Inn but this place was only a so-so. Room was very small, carpet didn't look especially clean. TV remote didn't work-had to go to the lobby for new batteries. Bed was extremely comfortable. Breakfast was ok although the hot water dispenser was empty. I had to track someone down and ask for her to refill it so I could have my tea. No free paper offered either, I had to go to the desk and request. Was told I got the "last one"! Usually one is left outside our door!

Room Tip: Ask for a room AWAY from the freeway. The other side of the hotel is quieter.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business