“Too Many Hidden Costs”

Ranked #113 of 349 Hotels in Los Angeles
Golden, Colorado
“Too Many Hidden Costs”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2011

As a business traveler, there were too many costs outside of the hotel rate. $10.00 per day for parking. They own their own parking lot. It is not shared. $5.00 minimum to use the business center. $50.00 hold for incidentals. On top of that, the so called "high speed internet" was extremely slow. The rooms and carpets needs to be refreshed to a more modern decor. TV in room is old and has only a few channels. Coffee they use in the rooms is generic and tasted nasty. When you get to the bottom of the cup, there is all kinds of sediment. The cheap coffee cups they use makes the coffee taste like paper. Don't expect anything extra from the General Manager. The staff at the front counter has to go through him for everything and the answer is always "no". I have stayed here a lot in the past 5 years and have seen this place get worse by the year. I stay here for the location and put up with everything for that reason. The restaurant and bar is excellent. Great service, friendly people and high quality food. A little pricy though. The staff at the from desk is extremely friendly and so are the drivers.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Korean first
Fort Collins, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2011

They're celebrating their 25th anniversary, but the place could pass for much older. Doesn't look well cared for and is located in a rough neighborhood. Consider your decision carefully if venturing out at night on foot. The restaurant staff seems to be aware that they have a captive audience. Desk clerks are all very nice, as are shuttle drivers. Computers in the business center can be accessed with your credit card. The workout room seems marginal--machines are creaky and most of the dumbells are missing.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Airtel_Plaza, Manager at Airtel Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, January 18, 2011
I wanted to personally thank you for taking the time to complete our guest survey. It’s through honest guest feed back like this that we are able to correct unknown challenges that we may have, and work towards improving them for the future. Our only goal is to exceed our guest expectations and while certain things may be beyond the hotels ability to control, we can however, always make sure that the services we offer are always above average, and consistently address needs of our guest. I am happy to say that we are currently looking into remodeling our lobby, hallways, and fitness facility, and updating all of our exercise equipment as well.

Once again, please accept my deepest apologies for you’re disappointed with our facility, and I thank you once again for taking the time to give us your feed back.

If you should have any questions, request or suggestion, please feel free to contact me at (818) 263-8315, or email me at: JPease@Airtelplaza.com.

Casa Grande, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2011

Stayed for 5 1/2 days on a Road Scholar Rose Parade tour. It is a very fine hotel. Front Desk friendly, efficient, and helpful. Same for the restaurant and catering staff. We had 13 meals, all were good and menus varied. Terrific room in the tower, cleaned daily by a very conscientious maid. The room faced north overlooking the airport with the mountains in the distance. What a relaxing setting, no problem with aiport noise, quite the opposite. Everything was clean and worked. Unlike many hotels, especially older ones, there were multiple sockets to plug computers and cell phones into. Really enjoyable airport theme throughout. Terrific 747 model, read about its history, in the lobby. A warm friendly placed with a happy helpful staff

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind words about our staff, and hotel during your stay. We always try to exceed our guest expectations and I’m glad that we were able to meet yours. I can assure you that we will continue to try and raise the bar, and think outside of the box.

Thank you once again for your comments, and please feel free to contact me directly at (818) 263-8315 or email me Jpease@Airtelplaza.com for any future stays, questions, or suggestions.

Warmest Regards,

Henderson, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2010

If you are coming to the Valley for a business trip or sight seeing, this is a great place to hang for a few days. The place has plenty of charm and historical tidbits throughout the lobby of hotel from the owner of the hotel who saved the originalhangar from the movie "Casablanca" to the 747 Pan Am hanging from the main lobby, which they also put a photo history on how it was transported, which answered my question when I saw the plane. When we walked in - my first impression was "wow, omg". Look for the snapshots of how they raised it up to the ceiling, the plane was in a movie too. It's an older hotel but a hidden gem in the middle of the Valley.We appreciated the free coffee they had in the lobby when we left at 5:30 am to fly home. For what its uniqueness and bargain, it was hard to beat. We glad we found this place.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write us and tell us about your experience here at our hotel. It was truly pleasure having you as our guest and I am pleased to know that our services either met with, or exceeded your expectations. I hope that you will continue to stay with us in the future, whenever you’re in the LA area.

Thank you once again for your kind words, and please feel free to contact me at (818) 263-8315 or email me Jpease@Airtelplaza.com for any future stays, questions, or suggestions.

Warmest Regards,

Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2010

Positives: location, large well-laid out rooms, fitness room, maid service, balcony.
Negatives: very uncomfortable bed, strange odor in room, dinginess of room.

It just struck me as old. Carpet dirty, furniture and drapes heavily stained, bucket in hall to catch drip from moldy air vent. Graffiti in elevator. Management needs to spring for some refurbishments. Photos on website do not match outdated rooms, and rooms too pricey for what you get.

• Stayed December 2010
Airtel_Plaza, Manager at Airtel Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, January 13, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I am truly sorry for any inconvenience you experience during you stay here with us. All of the issues that you mentioned from the carpets to the elevator have been corrected, and repaired, and without your feed back they may have gone unnoticed a little longer, and for that we are grateful for your comments, and I would like to thank you once again for bringing this to our attention, and giving us the opportunity to address the issue, and correct the problem.

Once again, I am truly sorry for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay and if you should have any additional questions, request or suggestion, please feel free to contact me directly at (818) 263-8315, or email me at: JPease@Airtelplaza.com.

San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2010

I was doing business in the area and picked this hotel as I noticed they had a Free Shuttle Service from the Van Nuys AMTRAK Station, which was about 7 minutes from the hotel. Took train up from San Diego, so it was nice touch and their hotel was cheaper as I shopped around than the others nearby. The Subway sandwich around the corner from the hotel was real handy too, as I was able to grab my sandwich before I took the train back. The hotel was neat and clean, no complaints. The hotel staff was helpful in offering assistance to any little thing I needed. If the company sends me this way again, I will definitely come back to the Airtel to overnight.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Surrey, BC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2010

Honestly rooms are great clean and workers are nice...but doing online booking in cheaphotel.com or expedia.com maybe made the difference coz I booked online.
Negative comments:
:You have to pay extra for a request for a refrigerator if request for, refrigerator is an option not included with the deal.
: You have to pay $10 per day for a parking permit to get in the parking lot.
: Its an option and a different rate if you add breakfast. First time in my life a great hotel like this will pay for extra for a breakfast or not part of online booking.

I dont know why people who booked give a good rate for this hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time out to give us your feedback. It is true that depending on the type package you select, there may be additional cost associated with some amenities, like breakfast or refrigerators when you use a third party web sites like the ones you mentioned. The Hotel website also offers packages that include the amenities you mentioned at a reduced price as well, which allows you to make request, or changes as needed to insure all your needs are met at the time of check-in, and through out your stay.

I am truly sorry for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your time here with us and if you should have any additional questions, request or suggestion, please feel free to contact me directly at (818) 263-8315, or email me at: JPease@Airtelplaza.com.