“Comfortable”
Review of Airtel Plaza Hotel

Airtel Plaza Hotel
Ranked #107 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed April 3, 2014

This hotel, next to the Van Nuys general aviation airport, is not new, but is comfortable and cost less than others in the area I checked. There is occasional noise from private planes and, on one morning, even military jets, but only during the day as far as I could tell. I heard nothing at night. It was interesting to see the wide range in sizes of non-commerical prop and jet planes. The décor, especially in the bathrooms, and heating/cooling systems, were dated, even in the tower rooms, which are a couple of years newer than those in the "main" building. I did not figure out how to use the old-style room safe, but I'm sure staff would help one.

Parking in a gated lot costs $10. Wi-Fi in rooms is free. Breakfast is not included. No restaurants within walking distance other than the restaurant, coffee/snack stand and bar ("club") in the hotel itself, but you wouldn't likely stay here without a car, anyway.

In the rear parking lot, under a blue tarp, is part of the façade of the "airport terminal" from the famous film "Casablanca." Management saved it from destruction and reportedly hopes to make it into an attraction someday.

Room Tip: Rooms in the Tower building are a bit newer, though they are further from the pool and restaurant.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Sean_Olivier, Manager at Airtel Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Dear Sutter,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent experience. I am delighted that you enjoyed a comfortable stay. I know that you have many choices when staying in the Los Angeles area, thank you for choosing the Airtel Plaza. We are looking forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

We came to Van Nuys to visit family for the weekend and a mini vacation! We have had a love for the hotel and the people here. This is by fare the best hotel experience i have ever had and my husband and i love it here! I would recommend this place for families. Businesses: you will love it. Great food : coffee shop pool jacuzzi. We are planning a Christmas holiday here this year !! Oh and the people that works here ROCK. . I wish they'd rub of on the rest of California

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Sean_Olivier, Manager at Airtel Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Dear Michelle V,

Thank you for taking the time to share your most recent experience with us. I am so glad that the staff exceeded your expectations. We continually strive to surpass all of our guest's expectations. It sounds like you enjoyed a relaxing mini vacation. We are looking forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

Third time staying with the Airtel and although we are usually satisfied with our stay, we may be looking for another hotel the next time we are in the area. The hotel itself is in good shape and the rooms are being updated and always very spacious. If you are not located near the back of the hotel, you do not hear the airplanes landing or taking off (we did not this trip, but the noise was not too disturbing. The hotel has a decent restaurant, a good lounge and an excellent café; decent options inside considering the surrounding area is very limited for food choices. Our main complaint with the hotel each time we visit is the fee charged for parking. The lot has never been full on any of our visits and it seems somewhat excessive. There is limited street parking in front of the hotel, but the surrounding neighborhood does not give much confidence for ones safety, especially at night. All staff is very friendly, but I think next time we will save the money on parking fees for another hotel in the area.

Room Tip: Anything towards the front of the hotel, especially a more interior room, will block out all the noi...
1  Thank ajtrincado

Dear ajtrincado,

I understand that you have many hotels to choose from when coming to Los Angeles, thank you for choosing the Airtel Plaza Hotel. I was delighted to hear that your overall stay was quite enjoyable. I am sorry that the parking fee is not an amenity that you wish to pay for. It should be noted that street parking is available in the surrounding area, as you mentioned in your review. Additionally, the Captain's Club Membership is a perk available to all guests staying on a qualifying rate. Depending on the number of nights you stay on a yearly basis, you can redeem points for complimentary nights or room upgrades based on availability. We are looking forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

Stayed one night for medical treatment. Staffs are super friendly and very helpful. As I was on wheelchair, they provided all the help I need and were very caring. Then the Landings restaurant serves good food too, at a reasonable price. I will recommend this place.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Sean_Olivier, Manager at Airtel Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

Dear KF2331,

Thank you for staying with us, and for taking the time to share your wonderful experience. It was great to hear that the staff were very friendly and caring, and that you enjoyed your Landings Restaurant experience. Thank you again for being a valued guest, we are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel for a weekend with pre-teens in February. It is a remarkably comfortable place to stay. Not at all flashy, but wonderful service and very welcoming of children. The property is in a quiet neighborhood and the hotell is small enough never to feel busy. Even when an event is going on. The most amazing hotel we have stayed in. I thank your uncomparable staff like Gerry and Gary for their supreme service. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank miguel143

Dear Miguel143,

Thank you for taking the time to share your most recent experience with us, and for choosing the Airtel Plaza Hotel. I am pleased to hear that we provided wonderful service, particularly Gary and Gerry. They will be very happy to hear how satisfied you were during your stay. We are looking forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed March 17, 2014

We were in the area for a wedding, having driven in from out of town. Gary & Adrian were wonderful! They helped us check in a little early so we could change from our travel clothes to wedding attire. They were polite, giving us directions and such. We needed a handicap room so they put us all on the same floor. All in all, a good stay. Unfortunately I called on Monday 03/17/14 @ 3:30 p.m. to inquire about my bill and spoke with a woman at the front desk who was argumentative and quite snobby! Every time I tried to ask a question, her response was "it was on the paper you signed" So glad she was not there when we were there!

1  Thank Goodday3

Dear Sylvia B.

Thank you for staying with us on your most recent visit to Van Nuys, and for taking the time to share your experience. I am very glad that Gary and Adrian surpassed your expectations with respect to the level of service that was provided. Unfortunately you had a negative interaction with one of our employees. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you, and can assure you that this is not indicative of the level of service we strive to provide. This incident will be shared with the employee, to prevent a future recurrence. Thank you for being a valued guest, we are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed March 13, 2014

I was really disappointed in my Airtel stay in March 2014. I had been to the hotel several times before and always thought it was fine. My last visit was about a year ago and things have really gone downhill. The foyer and reservation agents were fine, and the lounge too, but the room (Tower 153) was really fair to poor, at best. Old tube TV, worn carpet, beds only about 18 inches off the floor, no hot water the morning of departure, just a worn down room. I was exhausted from traveling, so I slept OK, although the pillows were huge, and it was a quiet room until about 7:00 in the morning. Won't be going back here any time soon.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank James K
Sean_Olivier, Manager at Airtel Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

Dear Jim K.
Thank you for staying with us on your most recent visit to Van Nuys and taking the time to share your experience with us. I sincerely apologize for the condition of your room as it relates to the carpet, bed, and hot water issue. I can assure you that this is not indicative of the quality of our rooms. At your convenience please reach out to me at sean@airtelplaza.com so I may speak with you regarding your stay. I would like an opportunity to ensure your complete satisfaction and retain you as a loyal customer.