“Unexpectedly Excellent”

Ranked #109 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Gilroy, California
“Unexpectedly Excellent”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Past experience has taught me not to expect anything great from hotel stays. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of room, particularly the bathroom. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and would definitely stay again. Staff were really pleasant too. Most especially the front desk named Gerry.

• Stayed October 2013
Brian_Dunn_1, Guest Relations Manager at Airtel Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Dear Miguel143:

We are pleased that you were enjoyed the quality of the room, your stay and most importantly, would return again! I know our staff and especially Gerry will be thrilled that they made your stay memorable. Thank you very much for your positive comments. We all certainly look forward to your return visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Korean first
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Obviously, rich world travelers would probably pass this one up. BUT, if you have to stay in the San Fernando Valley, and Warner Center is booked up, this may be the next best choice.

The staff can't be any nicer. My room was spacious and spotlessly clean. I had dinner in the bar one night, red fish chowder, and buffalo wings, and it was good for what it was. The coffee and pastry bar is great if you want a coffee and muffin. I did not try the dining room.

However, on Wednesday nights they had "food truck Wednesday".
That was good fun. Food trucks are quite the rage in LA.

So, if the Valley is a must for some reason, don't blow this one off. By the way, it does serve the Van Nuys Airport, so a little jet noise may be heard, but I like the sound.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear 91436RJI:

Thank you for your feedback on our nice staff and of our spacious and clean rooms. I will share this with the staff, as great service is our top priority. We are happy you had a chance to enjoy the Wednesday Food Truck Night this season and we look forward to starting this popular event again next summer, as the guests have all loved it. We look forward to having you again as our guest should your travels take you to the San Fernando Valley.
Indianapolis, IN
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I would likely not have chosen the Airtel Plaza on my own, however we were attending a meeting here so decided to simply stay at the hotel. While the hotel rooms are certainly old and a bit out of date (think old-style televisions and several holes in the walls that were in need of some spackle and paint), things were clean and the beds in our room were comfortable. The separate dressing area in the sleeping area was very helpful and and allowed two of us sharing a room to get ready easily in the mornings without stepping on top of each other.

We also ate three meals here. I appreciated that they let us order full dinner at the cafe and grab it to go - they had it ready very quickly. The breakfast buffet was also tasty. My only food complaint was an extremely rude male server for dinner on Saturday night while we stayed. We were literally the ONLY party in the restaurant and we had specifically asked for separate checks at the beginning of the meal. However, he brought things on one check and when we asked to have them separated, he rolled his eyes and then it took 15 minutes to get the checks. If they had actually had anyone else i the restaurant, we likely would have just dealt with it, but we were the ONLY party he served in over an hour. Most other staff we met were very friendly.

Room Tip: The hotel is right near the airport. We were in a room on the front and never heard a bit of airpla...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Brian_Dunn_1, Guest Relations Manager at Airtel Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear karamonroe:

I appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us during your recent stay. Thank you for your positive comment about our clean and spacious rooms, along with our comfortable beds.

I will share your feedback about enjoying all your meals to our chef, as I know he will appreciate it! We always try to provide the best experiences for our guests, so my sincerest apologies for the issue you encountered at the restaurant. This will be addressed with the Food and Beverage Director so to avoid the same situation with any future guests.

We are currently renovating our guest rooms, including the lobby and other areas in the hotel. Next time you are in the Van Nuys Area, please contact me directly and we will be happy to offer you a complimentary upgrade to one of our renovated rooms.

Denver
Reviewed October 11, 2013

It's a shame. People say don't judge a book by its cover and really.. you can. This dump is in serious need of some repair. Deteriorating interior and exterior. I paid 105 online and was embarrassed to ask for a refund. I felt bad for whomever was trying to run this place.
I stepped back into the 1980's when the hotel was probably at its best and no one knew about the modern world. I stayed in the "newest" part of the hotel and that was sad. Serious embarrassment to my guests traveling with me. It actually looked like the hotel "had" money at one time and decided to forget that hotels are evolving and spend the money. Well.. nothing.. Its obvious it is not a Hyatt or Marriot or even an Extended Stay hotel.
No one cared to apologize for the deteriorating elevators or the lack of rooms service trays from " 1995" sitting in the hallway.

I stayed for a musicianal conference. Everyone was nice but even the employees seemed to subconsciously ignore the fact the hotel was probably on its last leg and they were sucked into an oblivion that they shouldn't speak about.

I saw a steady stream of people trying to file into a small conference room where one server tended to what seem to be a few hundred people.
The 'small town' mentality seem to come from straight out of a low budget 80's horror movie where you'd expect the hotel to be off the freeway in northern Nevada.

All in all; I am tired of dumps trying to feed off consumers. I blew 105 bucks on a nights sleep where I felt worse off than sleeping in my car. Pass and stay a few miles away....... you'll appreciate that.

Room Tip: Sleep in your car.. 10 0r 11 bucks is a better deal.
1 Thank Sammy F
Dear Sammy F:

I am happy to report that we are currently renovating our guest rooms, including the lobby and other areas in the hotel. It is unfortunate that you did not take the option of asking for a renovated room, as there is a large sign at the front desk that gave you the option to upgrade for a nominal fee.

As far as your comment on a conference room and only one banquet server visible, the musical event was a display of instruments throughout the ballroom. We had several banquet captains and servers monitoring the event in and out, so perhaps with the heavy flow of the crowd, you were not able to see our banquet staff attending promptly to the needs of the event or the organizer of the event.

If you plan to attend the event next year, we welcome you back to the hotel and hope you will notice the many changes that are on schedule. Your vitriolic comments were completely unnecessary and did little or nothing to address your understanding of a hotel that has a firm commitment to continually upgrade what we provide to our guests. However, should you decide to return, you could have two options for your desire to sleep in your car. There’s plenty of free parking on the side streets surrounding the hotel. Or should you prefer, you can park in our secured parking lot that includes camera surveillance. There will be a normal charge of $10 for regular overnight parking. Additionally, should you order from our delicious room service menu, you’ll have to specify an inside or outside tray.

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I've been coming to the Airtel since they opened in 1984. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The food in the restaurant is good. The rooms are clean. I travel to this area a lot on business and I can stay anywhere, but I choose the Airtel. It's a home away from home.

Room Tip: I like the tower airport side. It's nice to see the planes land and takeoff.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Brian_Dunn_1, Guest Relations Manager at Airtel Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear TravelerX157,

Thank you for being such a loyal customer since 1984! We do have a great staff here and I will pass on your kind words to them.

We always try to make our guests feel like our hotel is their home away from home, so it is always great to hear when we do make them feel like family!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to having you visit us again!

Venice, Florida
Reviewed October 6, 2013

The Staff , The Food , The Lounge , The Chef are over the top.

Reminds me of a old Hollywood Movie Star hangout like the Sportmans Club in Studio City , I always stay with The Dunns when we are out on tour , great food , great rooms , a staff that goes out of there way to make you feel welcome.

Make sure to have Chef Desi"s Salmon best in The Valley.

No downs just good times with "The Airtel"

2 Thank Snogoer
Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is a bit dated & not as clean as I prefer, but the night staff were so charming and accommodating it was amazing! Gary the night mgr was excellent & was training new employees who hopefully will be as great as he is. The shuttle really needs a sign up sheet, be warned it's not very reliable. The breakfast is overpriced but does offer some hot food selections. The pool & hot tub were well-maintained. The restaurant offers good food. I stayed in rm 325 with a view of a brick wall. & pool. However I recommend this room as it was relatively quiet, not on the airport side or the highway side. The walls are very thin & the door did not reach the floor & daylight can be seen all around the door, making noise from the hallway very loud. All in all, great night staff, pretty good rooms, a good value. I would stay there again.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business