“Top Notch”

Ranked #66 of 350 Hotels in Los Angeles
Los Angeles, California, United States
“Top Notch”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

As I understand it, this is a business hotel - catering mostly to traveling executives who pop in and out of town during the week. The hotel's rates clearly reflect its place and purpose in the world of travelers, discounting weekend fees as traffic thins out. This, of course, is fine with me as I enjoy the occasional getaway to this clean, quiet, uncrowded edifice that welcomes the odd unassuming and peace-seeking vacationer.

But my last trip to the Courtyard Marriott in Sherman Oaks was longer than a mere weekend; I checked in on Christmas Eve and checked out the 2nd of January. I don't know if it's because this is primarily a business-centric establishment, or if management is strict about how staff acts and reacts with guests, but I've been to five-star resorts that didn't have the level of service that this entire hotel's faculty deftly demonstrates 24 hours a day. From the bar to the kitchen to room service to the front desk, everyone takes the time and energy to make you feel welcome, and ensure that even the smallest details of your stay are maintained. I have, and will continue to go out of my way to stay at this hotel - for its cleanliness, its prime location, and an unyielding, dedicated staff.

Room Tip: Even-numbered rooms offer a view of "the hill" that separates the Valley from downtown; an...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Paul G, General Manager at Courtyard Los Angeles Sherman Oaks, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Dear Carbon M,

It is so wonderful to read how much you enjoyed your long term visit to our property. And I highly appreciate your time to compliment our team. We're very fortunate to have such dedicated individuals who really enjoy making every guest experience a memorable one.

I have already shared your comments with our team and it gives me great joy to show them the effect of their hard work.

Thank you for your review. And thank you for consistently choosing our hotel. We'll look forward to your many returns.

Best regards,

Paul Gardner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

Was there for a week, am a gold member room was next door to my friend with no status at all. Did get a couple of free bottles of water. Room next to elevator on tenth floor, asked about noise, front desk said not a problem, not true. Overall I found the hotel noisy from the street as well. During my stay they stopped serving free coffee in the lobby. Has an excellent location, that is for sure!

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear Westlinn,

Thank you for your review. And thank you for your loyalty to Marriott Hotels!

I'm pleased that you found our locations convenient for your business travel. With easy access to the 101 and 405 freeways, we offer a great location for both business travel and for those looking to explore Los Angeles.

I'm sorry that we were unable to provide an upgraded guest room for your stay this time. We do very much like to do this whenever possible and we are fortunate to have many very loyal Marriott Rewards Members who join us in Sherman Oaks.

Thank you again for choosing The Courtyard by Marriott in Sherman Oaks. We'll look forward to your future visits.

Best regards,

New Jersey
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott in Sherman Oaks as we were attending a family reunion. The hotel does not give a complimentary breakfast, but instead offers free coffee, tea and cookies daily. The hotel is close to the highways however parking is an issue. They charge $16.50 a day and there is no over night street parking or less inexpensive lots in the area. The rooms are a decent size, not fancy but certainly adequate. The bathroom comes with a bathtub and curtain. The staff are friendly and very helpful and go out of their way to help you with directions or restaurant recommendations. There is a small gym and a pool. This hotel is popular for those attending the annual Rose Bowl football game.

Room Tip: Even though our room faced the freeway, you do not get a lot of noise, take a high floor like 12.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Sherris,

Thank you for choosing The Courtyard by Marriott in Sherman Oaks. And thank you for sharing your feedback.

I'm pleased that you found the hotel comfortable and that our team was helpful with your needs. As you noted, we do host many travelers for the Rose Bowl event, and this year, that was followed up by the BCS game the following week. It's often a really enjoyable time as we get to meet the fans who have travelled to see their teams.

We will look forward to your future visits to Sherman Oaks. Thank you for choosing Marriott.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 20, 2013

Friendly staff, but the room wasn't much to write home about. The room we got was right next to the elevator, so there was a bit of a noise issue throughout the morning from the staff and other guest. Also, I think the property was an older facility, before Marriott renovated... we had a balcony that wasn't accessible to us, which was a bit odd. None the less, the room was decorated in Marriott friendly colors and the beds were comfy.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank AgenTTomato
Dear AgenTTomato ,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent visit to Sherman Oaks.

I'm pleased to see that you found our team to be friendly and that you had a good night's rest in a comfortable bed.

I'm also excited to share with you that we are in the final planning stages for a complete guest room renovation. And I know you'll enjoy our new product!

We will continue to offer a variety of guest rooms and suites ranging from 250 to 640 square feet. Your guest room was one of our "smaller room- 1 King bed" which does offer a good value. While this often fits the needs of single business travelers, our standard guest rooms are 340 square feet, offering an additional 100 square feet of living space. I believe that you'd find this category more comfortable for future visits.

I can appreciate how it's unusual to have a balcony door that doesn't open all the way. This is a safety feature and also part of the building code for our high-rise facility. However, we do offer a sun deck and seating area next to our large outdoor heated pool and spa on the 4th floor, which I hope you were able to enjoy.

Thank you for choosing The Courtyard by Marriott in Sherman Oaks. I hope that we'll have the opportunity to welcome you back to view our new guest rooms later this year.

Las Vegas
Reviewed December 17, 2013

I really was pleasantly surprised at this Courtyard. 24 hr. Room service and a bar downstairs was fantastic, not a usual courtyard perk. The room was surprisingly large and loved the balcony looking out over the pool deck, yes the pool is heated, awesome to be able to swim in December.
A general complaint is for Marriott properties across the board, including this one,the outside sliding door not opening more than 4 inches for "safety" reasons. I can't stand it, feel trapped, especially in case of a fire if I couldn't get out the room to the hallway. I would love to see an option for opening the doors to those of us with no kids and a grasp of the concept that if we fall, we shall go splat. Hilton has the Embassy suites with balconies that open...I'm sure that they don't have any less incident of wannabe jumpers than Marriott properties. ONLY complaint for this property -- the slow key - card elevators --nothing more than a mild annoyance and not a big deal.... And would not deter me from staying here again in the near future.
Every single one of the staff that I had interaction with from the parking attendant, front desk, guest services,the housekeepers, and the room service attendant was very friendly, and accommodating. Thank you for making my stay even better!
The property is clean, well laid out and maintained.
For those that complain about the charge for parking... HELLO... It's in a busy neighborhood ..and no different than any parking lot in the area. 15 bucks a day is not exorbitant. Try $15 an hour in some downtown cities.
And yes, it's next to the 405 and on Ventura, it's not a secret, look at a map before you book places people! The patio doors are double paned , two sliding doors that cut the noise down to nearly nothing in my room, facing the southwest and both 405 and Ventura.
When I come to the valley next time, I will look to stay here again.

Room Tip: Loved my room overlooking the pool on the raised deck, only better if I could open the balcony door...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tracy Z
Paul G, General Manager at Courtyard Los Angeles Sherman Oaks, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear Tracy Z,

Thank you for your kind compliments of our team! I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed the hotel, the amenities, and the service you received.

I can appreciate your frustration with the glass doors only opening 4 inches. This is both a safety measure and a building code for our high rise structure in Los Angeles County. As you noted, we do offer a nice swimming pool and sun deck. And we have ample seating and lounge chairs on the pool deck so that our guests can enjoy the California sunshine. I’m glad you got the chance to enjoy this.

For the safety and security of all our guests, we do require elevator key card access to reach guest room floors. We clean these card readers regularly in order to limit times that guests may need to swipe a second time for the system to read the card. I'm sorry you had this inconvenience.

We will look forward to your returns to Sherman Oaks. Thank you for your review and thank you for choosing The Courtyard by Marriott in Sherman Oaks!

Karatu, Tanzania
Reviewed December 2, 2013

A business colleague and I stayed here for a necessary 1 night overnight. It was fine in every way, from check-in to room size and cleanliness. It was a bit pricey at what we paid plus parking but the comfort level was 10.

The check-in staff were extremely friendly and helpful; there was complimentary Tazo tea in the lobby as well as a coffee maker in the room along with a mini-fridge. The elevator is secure meaning you can't get onto it at lobby level without activating with your room card. There is free Wi-Fi in the room and the room and bathroom were super clean plus the beds and pillows very comfortable

The location was very convenient to freeways and our meeting the next morning. I wish we had found a better deal because at $240+ it was expensive in my book but this is California after all.

Room Tip: Be aware that the sliding glass doors to a small balcony only open about 3-4 inches for safety reaso...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Annie B
Paul G, General Manager at Courtyard Los Angeles Sherman Oaks, responded to this review, December 14, 2013
Dear auroraafrica,

Thank you for your review and recommendation of The Courtyard Marriott in Sherman Oaks!

As you mentioned, the hotel is right near the interchange of 2 major LA freeways. This gives our guests easy access to areas East and West (Woodland Hills, Glendale, Hollywood, Downtown) via the 101 freeway, and areas North and South (North Valley, Brentwood, Bel Air, Beverly Hills) via the 405 freeway. I'm glad you found this convenient for your meetings.

We have done some recent upgrades to our large lobby so that we can both ensure that you have a pleasant arrival and easy access to semi-private areas for meeting clients or friends. I'm pleased you found everything to be welcoming, clean and comfortable.

Thank you for choosing The Courtyard by Marriott in Sherman Oaks. We'll look forward to your future visits to Los Angeles!

NY
Reviewed October 26, 2013

This was my first time in California as I was visiting a friend, and as someone who has traveled quite a bit for athletics I have seen many a Marriott in my day. My parents even have the Marriott rewards card and were disappointed with how my stay was here in Sherman Oaks. Upon check in the first few minutes in the room we noticed a leak in the bathroom coming from the wall in front of the toilet and adjacent to the tub, clearly neither of us had showered yet. I soaked it up with a towel thinking it was remnants from the cleaning staff, but to no surprise it was there again upon waking up the next morning, with clothing left in the bathroom soaking wet. When I went to hang dry them I noticed the balcony was not able to be used as the doors do not open for you to take in the view nor catch fresh air. The second night we were on our way to dinner when I went to brush my teeth and discovered a COCKROACH in the sink!! As i screamed in disgust and walked out to the living space there were TWO more on the TV table!!! Mind you there was never any food in the room whatsoever, and we had been there just 2 nights! I complained to the front desk who apologized, but did not seem too bothered by my findings and they asked if I would like to move rooms to which I agreed, and they also upgraded us to a larger room as well. I had two nights more to stay and to say the least I slept with one eye open every night. If one room has them that means they are in the hotel itself, I would have much rather stayed the night in my rental car!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Ashley N
Paul G, Assistant General Manager at Courtyard Los Angeles Sherman Oaks, responded to this review, November 9, 2013
Dear Ashley N,

I can appreciate how uncomfortable you must have been to find pests in your guest room. Further, I’m sure it was very frustrating to have your clothes wet as a result of a leak in the bathroom. I’m very sorry that this was your experience at our property.

Our hotel has very strict cleanliness standards and we do regular inspections of our guest rooms to ensure that our standards are being met. It is very unusual for us to have any pest activity in our guest rooms. This is actually the first time I've encountered a report of this in the 6 months I've been with this property. We contract with a pest control vendor and we have regular inspections to ensure that our guests don’t encounter the kind of experience that you've reported.

I have followed up with Emily, our Guest Services Director, who took action to address your concerns when you reported them. I’m pleased that Emily was able to get you into a more comfortable guest room, though I can understand how you would still have concern in the new room. A full inspection of the room was conducted after you changed to an alternate room. And while we were unable to find any pest activity, the room was taken out of order until we were able to address the leak that may have attracted the pests.

I’m sure that this was a very upsetting experience and I’d very much value the opportunity to show you the kind of experience you can expect from The Courtyard Marriott in Sherman Oaks. Since you reserved through a 3rd party, I don’t have your direct contact information, but I would welcome your call or email at any time.

Assistant General Manager