“My most awful Marriott experience!!”

Courtyard Los Angeles Sherman Oaks
Ranked #69 of 352 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed October 26, 2013

This was my first time in California as I was visiting a friend, and as someone who has traveled quite a bit for athletics I have seen many a Marriott in my day. My parents even have the Marriott rewards card and were disappointed with how my stay was here in Sherman Oaks. Upon check in the first few minutes in the room we noticed a leak in the bathroom coming from the wall in front of the toilet and adjacent to the tub, clearly neither of us had showered yet. I soaked it up with a towel thinking it was remnants from the cleaning staff, but to no surprise it was there again upon waking up the next morning, with clothing left in the bathroom soaking wet. When I went to hang dry them I noticed the balcony was not able to be used as the doors do not open for you to take in the view nor catch fresh air. The second night we were on our way to dinner when I went to brush my teeth and discovered a COCKROACH in the sink!! As i screamed in disgust and walked out to the living space there were TWO more on the TV table!!! Mind you there was never any food in the room whatsoever, and we had been there just 2 nights! I complained to the front desk who apologized, but did not seem too bothered by my findings and they asked if I would like to move rooms to which I agreed, and they also upgraded us to a larger room as well. I had two nights more to stay and to say the least I slept with one eye open every night. If one room has them that means they are in the hotel itself, I would have much rather stayed the night in my rental car!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Ashley N
Paul G, Assistant General Manager at Courtyard Los Angeles Sherman Oaks, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2013

Dear Ashley N,

I can appreciate how uncomfortable you must have been to find pests in your guest room. Further, I’m sure it was very frustrating to have your clothes wet as a result of a leak in the bathroom. I’m very sorry that this was your experience at our property.

Our hotel has very strict cleanliness standards and we do regular inspections of our guest rooms to ensure that our standards are being met. It is very unusual for us to have any pest activity in our guest rooms. This is actually the first time I've encountered a report of this in the 6 months I've been with this property. We contract with a pest control vendor and we have regular inspections to ensure that our guests don’t encounter the kind of experience that you've reported.

I have followed up with Emily, our Guest Services Director, who took action to address your concerns when you reported them. I’m pleased that Emily was able to get you into a more comfortable guest room, though I can understand how you would still have concern in the new room. A full inspection of the room was conducted after you changed to an alternate room. And while we were unable to find any pest activity, the room was taken out of order until we were able to address the leak that may have attracted the pests.

I’m sure that this was a very upsetting experience and I’d very much value the opportunity to show you the kind of experience you can expect from The Courtyard Marriott in Sherman Oaks. Since you reserved through a 3rd party, I don’t have your direct contact information, but I would welcome your call or email at any time.

Direct: 818-263-8703
pgardner@marriottsfv.com

There are newer reviews for Courtyard Los Angeles Sherman Oaks

Reviewed October 4, 2013

Located near big attractions; clean; good home made inexpensive food on site for late arrivals; beautiful, new décor with rustic feel; great service; free laundry etc for families; ask for view of Beverly Hills bc the other side of the building is a bit louder due to traffic. LA traffic is really busy so we moved our stay from Beverly Hills central to Marriott closer to our appointments. Definitely recommend!

Room Tip: Ask for view of Beverly hills - beautiful at night and in morning, and quieter!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jacqueline L
Paul G, Assistant General Manager at Courtyard Los Angeles Sherman Oaks, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

Dear Jacquie L,

Thank you for sharing you experience of The Courtyard Marriott in Sherman Oaks!

It's great to see that you enjoyed our property and the great attractions nearby.

We hope to see you back on a future trip to Los Angeles!

Reviewed September 20, 2013

Stayed four nights on business. The location worked out quite well. Alot of restaurants and shops nearby. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant was quite good. Staff at the front desk was friendly and courteous. Was concerned about the potential for noise since my room was near the elevator...did not have a problem at all. Bed was very comfortable and I apprciated that feather pillows were available. I would recommend staying at this hotel.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Drmah2011
Paul G, Assistant General Manager at Courtyard Los Angeles Sherman Oaks, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2013

Dear Drmah2011,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at The Courtyard By Marriott in Sherman Oaks, CA.

I'm very pleased to see that the hotel met your needs and provided you with a comfortable and enjoyable home away from home.

I'm also glad to see that you took advantage of the hotels great location. It’s true that we have many great dining options nearby, in addition to full service café and room service offered at the hotel. And the hotels proximity to the major freeways offers our guests easy access to many of the attractions in Los Angeles.

Thank you again for your kind comments. We'll look forward to your next visit to Sherman Oaks!

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Well, this hotel is not a Ritz Carlton, but it is head and shoulders above other Courtyards. Rooms are large and well furnished. Beds are comfy. Restaurant offers fabulous breakfast at very reasonable prices. Staff is unfailingly courteous and helpful. Parking is $15 per day, but easy to use. Location of the hotel is excellent, right at the 805 101 junction. I would stay here anytime. A couple of minor nits... The hotel has only three elevators, not enough. And, as pointed out by others, the air conditioner is very loud when it is running.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Ron C
Paul G, Assistant General Manager at Courtyard Los Angeles Sherman Oaks, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Dear Ron C,

It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your visit to Los Angeles and The Courtyard By Marriott in Sherman Oaks! Thank you for your compliments of our property, amenities, and staff! We have a very dedicated team and we all enjoyed hearing your comments when they were read in a recent team meeting.

I do also appreciate your feedback on the air conditioning and our elevators. We pay very close attention to our guest’s comments and we’re always looking for ways to improve.

Our team will look forward to your next visit to Los Angeles!

Reviewed July 19, 2013

Stayed two nights (Wednesday and Thursday July 17 and 18) on fifth floor. Had room overlooking 405. Room was clean with comfortable king bed. Had refrigerator with access to common ice machine and vending. Housekeeping did good job on Thursday. There was some traffic noise but did not keep me awake. Hotel had outside pool and sitting areas with fireplace (nice). Workout area was lousy. One elliptical, two stationary bikes, two treadmills and a nautilus weight machine.

Front desk personnel were friendly and helpful. Ok bar and adjoining dining area were ho hum. Bar tender was slow and lacked personality. The hotel offered very good transportation (Lincoln Town Car for total of $60 to LAX which can be shared). That was a very good deal and I highly recommend. The driver was very professional and personable.

For dinner I walked across Ventura Blvd and a very short walk to Valley Restaurant. I highly recommend. For a nice walk there is a neighborhood located across Ventura from the hotel. Very pleasant and safe.

Overall the hotel is somewhat tired but is a good location. Be prepared for the $12 cocktails and $5 bottles of water in your room.

Room Tip: Stay on front side of hotel (away from 405)
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank MarkS719
Paul G, Assistant General Manager at Courtyard Los Angeles Sherman Oaks, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2013

Dear MarkS719,

Thank you for your recent review of The Courtyard By Marriott in Sherman Oaks.

I very much appreciate your compliments of our Guest Services team and Housekeeping Service. It's nice to see that you took advantage of our car service for your transportation as well. And I'm very pleased to see that you enjoyed both the transportation and your visit to our property.

The Valley Inn is a long time favorite of many of our guests and I'll be sharing your review with the owner. As I'm sure you saw, this restaurant offers some interesting history as one of The Valley's oldest restaurants!

I'm sorry to see that our fitness center fell short of your expectations. It is rare that we see a guest waiting to use a piece of equipment and we do daily checks to ensure that all equipment is in good working order. In addition to the items you mentioned, we do also offer free weights and exercise balls as these are popular with our guests. I'd certainly welcome your direct feedback at any time as I'm happy to explore the options if you feel we are missing something.

I'd also like to share with you that we are soon starting the process of an upgrade to our bar area. And we'll be adding some interesting new items to our café menu too. I do hope that you get the opportunity to join us in the future so you can enjoy the changes that we're making here.

Thank you for choosing The Courtyard By Marriott in Sherman Oaks. Our team will look forward to your return.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Just recently stayed here. We are a huge Marriott supporters and stay and the hotels whenever we can. This certainly did not disappoint. Great location we were bringing our son to Burbank for the summer and it was an ideal location. Went to Hollywood Boulevard and it only took about 15 minutes which was perfect because we were unfamiliar with the area.

Had breakfast at Mel's Diner which was just down the road on Ventura Boulevard it was excellent.

We stay again if we are in the area.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank aquakline
Paul G, Assistant General Manager at Courtyard Los Angeles Sherman Oaks, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Dear Aquakline,

Thank you for your compliments of our property and team! We’re all so happy to know that you had a great experience.

Mel’s Diner is one of our team’s favorites and we shared your comments with the owner. It’s great that you got the chance to enjoy the experience there too.

I believe we have a great location for those who want to explore many parts of Los Angeles and it’s nice to know that this was "perfect" for your needs.

We very much appreciate your support and loyalty to Marriott and we hope to see you on future visits to Los Angeles.

Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here while on vacation from Northern California it's about 20-30 minutes to Hollywood from this hotel (depending on traffic) and has good freeway access not alot around the hotel itself to do there is the Sherman oaks galleria right next door but there isn't very much there literally like 5 small stores a handful of restaurants and a movie theater so to go do anything you do have to drive but the rooms are nice and clean and the staff is great friendly and helpful...I'd stay again

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank Krissee1987
Paul G, Assistant General Manager at Courtyard Los Angeles Sherman Oaks, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2013

Dear Krissee1987,

Thank you for choosing The Courtyard By Marriott in Sherman Oaks for your recent vacation! Our team is very pleased to know that you had an enjoyable visit! And we very much appreciate your compliments of our guest rooms and friendly Guest Service team members.

As you noted, we are in a convenient location for exploring Los Angeles. And because of our positioning near the 405/101 freeway interchange, it’s very easy for our guests to access and explore Universal Studios, Hollywood and the West Side of Los Angeles, including Santa Monica. And while the Galleria next door is not a large shopping center, I’d encourage you to discuss some of the interesting dining options with our Guest Services Team on your next visit. Just outside of the Galleria, there are many options that offer some interesting history in addition to great dining.

Our team will look forward to your next visit to Sherman Oaks!