WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Courtyard Los Angeles Sherman Oaks

Courtyard Los Angeles Sherman Oaks
Ranked #72 of 347 Hotels in Los Angeles
Evanston, Illinois, USA
“Not for noise sensitive guests”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed here before 2 other times. I don't know why i came back.

This is a noisy hotel. The ventilation hums and pulsates. There is Ventura Blvd on the front and the 405 freeway on the back.

I told the staff I'm noise sensitive and they gave me a room with a partition door.

I've only myself to blame. But if you are like me, don't waste a sleepless night. I would have been better off taking the red eye home!

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Greg P
Paul G, Assistant General Manager at Courtyard Los Angeles Sherman Oaks, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Dear Greg P,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at The Courtyard By Marriott in Sherman Oaks.

It’s very important that we provide our guests with a comfortable experience based on their individual needs. And I understand your frustration with your room placement after specifically communicating your concerns. I’m very sorry that you’ve have had a few challenging experiences at our property.

As you mentioned, the property is located on Ventura Blvd and near the 405 freeway. This is part of what makes our location so convenient for many of our guests. And while the property was built with soundproofing measures to avoid disruptive evenings, we do have some guest rooms that are quieter than others. We try to utilize these quieter guest rooms when someone expresses the kinds of concerns that you raised, as most of our guests find our building’s soundproofing measures more than sufficient.

While it’s easy to think that our quietest rooms would be located on the top floor, this isn’t typically the case. And while I don’t know the specifics of your discussion upon arrival, I see that you were assigned a guest room on the top floor, which many times is requested by guests with your kinds of concerns. However, it’s actually our lower guest room floors which often prove the quietest for our most sensitive guests. So I would recommend requesting one of our lower floors if you have occasion to return to our hotel. And I’ll be reviewing your comments with our Guest Services Team to help them better choose a quiet guest room for guests in your position.

If you’d like to contact me directly after making your next booking, I’d be happy to look into your room placement with our Guest Services Team. I’m confident that we are able to provide you with a quiet and peaceful experience.

I do hope that you’ll consider our property in the future. And I’ll look forward to hearing from you if you decide to contact me directly.

Very best,

Paul Gardner
Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Richmond, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

Nicely renovated hotel, friendly staff, great location for walking to shopping, restaurants. Wifi worked well in our room. Near major highways, so central to other spots. Recommend for business or if staying in the area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank DeeSteveTravels
San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

We were in SoCal for our nephew's wedding. My in-laws got the celebration rate. We had a standard room with a king-size bed with a sofa. The room was comfortable but stuffy. When the A/C was on, the blower was loud... so loud that we had to turn the tv volume up to hear it. At night, it would come on and wake me up! There is a door to the balcony but I assume for safety reasons, they lock it and there's no key available. It was either sit in a stuffy warm room or hear a loud blower periodically come on! If you like quiet when you sleep, don't get room 604! One of the nice things... was on the lobby level they have 2 computers and a printer. When we clicked on IE, a screen comes up with all of the airlines. Just click on your airline, check-in, and print your ticket!

Room Tip: Interesting... when i put my cursor in this box, examples of helpful room tips come up and one of th...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Moosh2423
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

Stayed here while visiting family for Christmas. Great location. Was able to walk to places to eat and night clubs. Stayed in a suite and it was wonderful. We had 5 people so they brought in a roll away the was so comfortable and had plenty of room for it. Beautiful lobby!!

Room Tip: Love the high floors great view of city and the suites are large enough for a family
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank wheelzofsteel
Fairfield, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

Staff was extremely helpful arranging transportation. Restaurant dinner was expensive for salmon but actually very tasty. Good service. Bathroom had extras like cotton balls but towels looked like they were washed with darks so all dingy Comfy bed and pillows. Easy parking. Could walk to a mall and whole foods. Room a bit warn

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Jessica S
San Fran
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel probably 10 times over the last couple of years and am an Elite Marriott member. After a long drive down from SF I was looking forward to a quick bite, a shower and some rest. After a normal greeting, I asked whether they had room service (it was 9:35pm). The young man told me that I had missed it, as they close at 9:40. This seemed a bit unusual, and I was especially taken aback by his "gotcha" attitude, like he was enjoying telling me I couldn't have anything to eat.

Thinking quickly, I asked for the house phone, and asked if I could call room service and place my order. He grudgingly gave me the phone, and the room service folks were happy to take my order, in fact they were very gracious and the food was pretty good.

But this experience left a bad taste in my mouth. For a fairly dated hotel that is fairly pricey, well, this just tipped the scales. On subsequent trips I avoided them and found some nice hotels that understand the meaning of "hospitality".

• Stayed November 2012
3 Thank trvlin_man
New York, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

I stayed here for one night while on a business trip. Good hotel -- clean bathroom, big/new flatscreen TV, free Internet access, well laid out room, and professional service. Nothing really fancy but generally solid all around.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business