“Great location and lots of plus points”

Best Western Plus Carriage Inn
Ranked #50 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersBronze level

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Farmingdale, New York
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I booked travel plans to the Los Angeles area for an employee who was going to be working there an needed a hotel centrally located. As it turned out only part of the week was to be spent in the LA area and the rest of the week in San Diego. I booked the hotel through the Southwest website after making the flight arrangements.
After contacting Southwest who then contacted the Hotel manager to try & cancel (and refund) 3 nights off of a 6 night stay, they refused.
Since my company does considerable amount of business in the area I will never use this Hotel for employees ever again.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Robin B
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed January 26, 2013

The hotel looked small from Sepulvida Boulevard but it large and it had many rooms. Even though the hotel Is located between the freeway and a major street, the traffic noise was not load. Parking is free but they do not serve breakfast. You could order room service from the Denny's located on the same property. Since I didn't make my reservation before coming to the hotel, I asked the person at the front desk how much a room with costs, I was quoted $139 for single bed. I went on the Internet on my ipad in the parking lot and found a better room at the same hotel for $94 plus fees and tax totaled $111. This is the best price I could find for place to stay in Sherman Oaks.

Room Tip: If you want a real quite room get a room on the second floor. Rooms on second floor don't have a...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lanmanaz
seattle
Reviewed January 23, 2013

The housekeeping staff here are so dedicated to their jobs that I almost felt guilty not making more mess for them to clean up. The rooms aren't fancy but they're well furnished and comfortable and, yes, very clean. I did not use the pool but I did use the jacuzzi and it was also very clean and well maintained. All of the staff members I interacted with were consistently friendly and professional.

Because the hotel is next to the 405 there is some freeway noise. I did not consider it to be a problem but people who are sensitive to sound may wish to bring earplugs or simply turn on some soft music or other white noise. There is minimal sound bleed from the other rooms - I heard noises from another room only twice; neither time were the noises loud and for one of those times both my door and the other room's door were open.

I found the location convenient and I don't even drive - I found public transportation to be suitable for my needs - it's a short walk (and even shorter bus ride) up to the Sepulveda Orange Line station and it's easy to use the Orange Line to hook up with the Red Line or any number of buses that will take you throughout LA. For driver's it's easy to hop on and off the 405 or even take take surface streets - this is Los Angeles, so it's rare that you can get anywhere quickly but I never felt like my trip was taking too long whether I was taking Metro or getting a ride from a friend. If you're impatient and want to be in the center of the action then this may not be the spot for you. Consider where you plan to spend your time and plan accordingly. Since I planned to spend time on the north side of LA it worked out for me well.

There's not a lot going on in this neighborhood - a handful of stores that close up at night and a Target a few blocks away - but it's perfectly safe and (outside the freeway noise) pretty quiet.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank zinneablue
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed January 13, 2013

There are plenty of motels on this rather dreary stretch of Sepulveda, most of them looking like they rent rooms by the hour. This place was such a nice surprise. Our room was very large, clean, and looked to have been recently remodeled in an attractive, modern style. The king bed was wonderfully comfortable - this may have been our best night's sleep all week - and the shower was just great. In addition to the large TV, our room had a refrigerator, iron and ironing board, coffee maker, hair dryer, and -TA DA! - end tables with good reading lamps on both sides of the bed. Surprising how many hotels, even high end ones, have a table and lamp on just one side. We were also pleased to find plenty of easily reached outlets for all the electronics we lug around these days, another feature we rarely find even in high end hotels. This room was every bit as good as the room we had at a Radisson hotel a few days later.

A few quibbles - the pocket door that closed off the bathroom kept coming off its track, and, being wedged between Sepulveda and 405, traffic noise is almost constant, though subdued. Also, there is nothing in walking distance, other than the on site Denny's.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DOD56
england
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I know that American's see mileage as a much smaller deal than we Brits but, to me, staying here was like staying in Bournemouth when I wanted to visit London. The area is none too salubrious but has nothing within walking distance apart from Denny's and two gas stations anyway. When I walked to the gas station, albeit on a busy main road, I did not feel particularly safe or comfortable.

The hotel, room, management and staff were all great and ultra helpful; it's location that is a problem for me - an hour on public transport or $60 in a taxi to L.A. is not ideal.

Room Tip: Those with windows onto the car park, rather than the road, are quieter.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Gardener01
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

We were a bit dubious when we booked this as we didn't really know what to expect. We were presently surprised when we checked in. I can't fault anything about this hotel/motel. Rooms are spacious and clean with plenty of storage space to unpack (we had 3 full cases). Parking was free as was the excellent wifi. Overall great value for money at circa £50 a night (deal on Expedia) The gym was very small with only a couple of pieces of equipment.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple