“Great place for a pre-cruise stay”

Crowne Plaza Los Angeles Harbor Hotel
Ranked #138 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“Great place for a pre-cruise stay”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

This hotel is conveniently located to the Cruise Ship Terminal in the Port of Los Angeles (San Pedro). It is about a 40 minute ride from LAX. The hotel provides a free shuttle to/from the Cruise Ship Terminal which is about 5 minutes away. The hotel is only a few blocks away from many bars/restaurants in downtown San Pedro as well as the restaurants at Port 'O Call Village. The hotel is very clean (both rooms and public areas) and very modern. The service is excellent. They have a bar/restaurant on the lobby level. We ate breakfast at the restaurant - they had a pretty nice breakfast buffet (but no eggs/omelets to order). The cost is typical hotel restaurant breakfast pricing - not cheap! When it came time to go to the Cruise Ship Terminal, a bellhop came to our room, loaded up our luggage, then took it right to the shuttle. Great place to stay - we'll definitely stay there again when we cruise out of Los Angeles.

2 Thank 1aCruise4wks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I stayed here prior to our cruise out of LA and it was a great hotel for that purpose. The check-in staff was friendly and efficient, as was the bell service. The hotel lobby is both nicely decorated and comfortable, and during our stay, it was all decked out for Christmas. Our room was large and clean, with nice furniture that looked pretty new. The view of the parking lot and street was not much to speak of, but there are worse things in life. The little welcome gift bag on the bed with lavender spray for your pillow and a sleep mask is a nice touch that we appreciated. The bathroom featured a full-size hair dryer, which was another plus. We didn't eat in the restaurant, but it looked okay, although on the pricey side for dinner and breakfast. Our travel companions had breakfast there and said the food was just okay and over-priced. There are way better options behind the hotel on 6th street (Mishi's strudel!) and 7th street, so I'd head there if you're in search of sustenance.
The strangest thing for me was how empty this hotel felt. Every time we passed through the lobby or other public areas, you could have rolled a bowling ball through them. We hardly ever saw other guests. It's primarily a conference hotel, so maybe that was why. In terms of amenities, it has a whole slew of ballrooms and conference rooms on the first floor, all of which were empty. There's an outdoor pool and a pretty pathetic gym (which consists of a rowing machine, stepper, and weights) and sauna.

Negatives about this hotel? The rooms don't have a safe or refrigerator, and no free wi-fi. What kind of modern hotel lacks these simple conveniences? That stinks. The exorbitant charge for wi-fi per day or to use the computers in the hotel's business center was also a turn-off. As a positive, they offer a free shuttle service back and forth to the cruise port. It's less than a 5 min ride, which makes this hotel extremely convenient for sailing out of LA, though not much else. Much like the hotel itself, the nearby streets and businesses are always empty. I wonder how this city even stays in existence because it seems like there's never anyone around.

Pluses: quiet, clean, 5 min from the cruise port and a free shuttle to take you there. Negatives: no fridge or safe in room, no free wi-fi. If you expect an decent hotel in an LA suburb, you'll be fine. The Crowne Plaza is perfectly fine place to stay, and I'd stay here again. It's comfortable, clean, and the rate we got on Priceline was more than reasonable (As always, check Priceline first!). If you're looking for a short stay prior to a cruise out of LA, this is a great option.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the port!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Sailaways
Anaheim, California
Reviewed February 11, 2013

This is my second stay and second review of this hotel. We booked the park and sail package that includes parking for 10 days and breakfast. We traveled with a large family; we had five rooms booked at this hotel. We stayed pre cruise, we live in Orange County is it easier to book a pre stay, this way we don’t have to scrabble morning of the trip. The age ranges were 85-5 years old. We booked an ADA room for my Grandfather who is in a wheelchair.
We were booked on the Disney Wonder for a Pixar Cruise; we got to know many of our fellow cruisers via the DIS Boards. I read many of them post about how they booked through Priceline, Expedia, or other sites. They had the same story, I should have booked direct, and it would have cost me less. I compared pricing with someone who booked on Priceline, It cost me $30 less to book the park and sail package, versus purchasing everything separately. Another ended up paying the same as me. I think it silly that people fear booking direct. I dislike third party bookings.
We used the Gym, the equipment was older but in good shape. The pool was clean and did not overly reek of Chlorine as most hotel pools do.
The rooms are very clean, they have flat screens TV’s. They have free WiFi which is the BEST! I love that most hotels are going that route now. The breakfast was what you would usually expect from a hotel. They had fruit, yogurt, dry cereal, juices, sausage, assorted muffins, breads and pastries. They also had a made to order omelet bar.
We used the Shuttle to the port, since grandpa is in wheel chair he needs a shuttle with a lift, this hotel has one which is another reason I book here. Make sure to let them know so you can schedule your time.
Also if you don’t want to leave the hotel for dinner, I would recommend Buono’s Pizza, they deliver to the hotel for free. The prices are reasonable and the entrée’s feed two people, they have very large portions. The Calzones feed two!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Los Angeles Harbor Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear lubrew,

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Pittsburg, Kansas
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Excellent hotel! We stayed here for 1 night before a cruise. We arrived early- around 10AM. We were able to check in and go on up to our room. Wonderful room! Clean and spacious! Great breakfast- nice buffet with lots of choices. Very close to cruise terminal- free shuttle! We highly recommend this hotel!!!

3 Thank Kansas534
Milford, Delaware
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We booked through Priceline and saved quite a bit so the lack of a "beautiful" ocean view was a trade off. We still had a very nice and very clean room. The staff was very helpful in prompt in getting our luggage to and from our room. The shuttle to the port was very timely and stress free. Our cruise boarding time was changed from noon to 2;30 PM and they were very understanding and did not force us out by noon nor charge us a late checkout fee (we left a little after 1pm).
Before arriving I called the hotel with a few questions...all were answered except one regarding the restaurant menu and pricing. I was impressed they took my name and # and later that day the restaurant manager did call me back and answered my questions. She told me to drop by and meet her even if I chose to dine elsewhere. I did and she it was a real pleasure to simply chat while waiting for a cup of hot tea. I did peak at the menu and the pricing and selections seamed reasonable.
My cousin picked me up at the airport and they let us park for a few hours out front without a fee. They also knew the area and made suggestions as to points of interest and alternate dining options elsewhere.
For a pre-cruise stay this is a great location...and there are several wonderful attractions nearby (Iowa battleship, LAFD fireboat, Maritime Museum, Port shops, Art galleries, etc.).The business office was very useful keeping in touch with those at home prior to departure as well as printing needed documents and such.
They did lack a microwave and refrigerator, but for a short stay we did not miss it. The lobby did have complementry chilled water as well as HOT herbal tea.
For a pre-cruise or after cruise stay the location and service are great. I would stay there again and possibly add another day as the port area does have much to offer and most within walking distance of the hotel.

1 Thank GaryG668
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We won this room on Priceline. I think I'm going to stop booking through Priceline because every time I do I get a room next to the elevator or vending machines and the view is of the parking lot. We couldn't see much out our window due to the dirt on the outside. And besides, the view was the parking lot. The bed was excellent and we appreciated that. Our temperature control didn't work so it was very, very cold in our room. It was also during a cold snap in Long Beach (about 30 outside) so we froze in our room. The hotel is a bit tired and needs some freshening up, in my opinion. The check in staff was very nice and helpful when asked about places to eat. Our coffee pot was missing its filter, so we couldn't make coffee. The room also didn't have a refrigerator which was frustrating because I have RA medicine that needs to be kept cold. We had to improvise with the ice bucket. We stayed here for a pre-cruise night and I'm not sure if we'll stay here again. The bed was wonderful and that really made up for the so-so of the rest.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Los Angeles Harbor Hotel, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Dear EricaLyn,

Thanks so much for reviewing our hotel. I appreciate your compliments on the level of service provided by our hotel. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering superior service and are happy doing so. However, we are sorry to hear you found our room accommodations and amenities less than satisfactory. We have taken note of your valuable comments and rest assured, these will be used to monitor and improve the quality and services we offer to our guests.

Once again, thank you for alerting us and bringing these unsatisfactory circumstances to our attention. We hope to have the honor of serving you again in the future and provide you with a better experience.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed January 14, 2013

This is a basic hotel, nothing wrong with the accommodations, the room was clean, check in and staff were friendly and helpful. The shuttle to the cruise port was great. The only thing we found that was disappointing was the food in the restaurant, pretty bad. Go to the little Mexican joint close by mush better.

Room Tip: Find somewhere else to eat.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple