“Cruise and park..”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Pedro
Ranked #16 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed December 14, 2012

We arrived later - 10ish and we were upgraded to the Presidential Suite! We have never been upgraded and were shocked that we were given the room. It was very large- decorated nicely - needed a tree for some greenery.. loved the shower and the very large bathroom. Best feature- the window seat overlooking the marina. We did do the cruise and park option- Chris who handled the van and the luggage (who I felt so sorry for as the luggage only got heavier on the way back) was so helpful and nice. Everyone at the hotel was very nice and being its on the harbor the view is very nice. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Pedro

Reviewed December 14, 2012

Ill be a guest soon coming out of town and had I read these reviews I would not be staying here..I hope previous comments were looked into.I'm hoping to have a good decent time! Ill will return here to follow up on my stay..crossing my fingers not to get em 310 or above the lobby.or entrance LOL San Pedro here I come! Ill rate a 3 for all then decide after to go up or down..

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank ieatbluecrayons
Reviewed December 8, 2012

This place seems to rely entirely on flight crews and cruise passengers and the location and free shuttle to the cruise dock make it convenient.
I seldom book on Expedia because in the past it has always resulted in getting the worst or at least seemingly the worst room.
Never mind the warm cookie at arrival it was straight downhill from there.
Virtually every upholstered surface in the palce is worn out and soiled.
The tile in the bathroom floor and tub had discoloured dirty looking grout, black spots even. The tub floor permanently grey and soiled looking.
The room door had jimmy scars above the lock and had clearly been forced in at some point. The walls and baseboards stained and scarred in spots and the piece de resistance was the desk chair that had it fake leatherette worn through to the foam underneath and crumbling onto the floor. I have never seen anything like this place with Hilton anywhere near the name.
The floors in the elevator were filthy, the hall carpets dirty - this place is not being maintained at all.
The air conditioner wall mounted HVAC unit had mold growing in it along with cobwebs and accumulated dust, clearly never serviced.
No safe in the room, no clasp or screen on the window.
Our room was directly above the front entrance, people coming and going talking and sounded like partying til 3 am.
The hot water tap when turned on by us or a neighbouring room made a loud jackhammer sound from the ceiling. I am a sound sleeper but the noise outside and the plumbing pounding woke me several times.
On the plus side, the staff were helpful, polite and went out of their way for us, particularly the shuttle driver and the front desk.
I did complain when I saw the chair but all he had was a kingsize and we needed the two beds.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank gulfislandguy
shashi_poudyal2, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Pedro, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We appreciate your feedback and we’re very sorry you were disappointed with our hotel. Your business is very important to us and I can assure you that your comments will be taken into consideration. In fact, we are currently looking at different options to update and renovate some of the areas you pointed out in your review. We want nothing more than for our guests to have a comfortable and enjoyable stay with us. Your feedback is incredibly important to us and we are taking your comments into consideration as we improve our on-property experience. Again, please accept my apologies and I hope you give us another opportunity to serve you, if your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

Here is a perfect example of a very competant and wonderful staff struggling with what they have to work with. A potentially georgeous hotel in a beautiful marina setting but the plain truth is that this hotel is worn out. The first thing I noticed is a deteriorating parking lot with many uneven sections of sidewalk leading to the entrance creating an accident waiting to happen. Just outside the entrance is a utility yard where late night staff activity affects guest rooms just above this area. The main lobby, lounge and restaurant is well above average and appealing to the eye and the pallet. The carpeting in the halls above the main level is worn and buckled in many places. There were cracked bathroom floor tiles in our room (#310). The baseboards and corner protectors are dingy and some damaged. The in wall HVAC unit had a noisy, rattling fan motor with the power cord coming out of the wall where someone broke off a corner of the plastic socket cover to allow access to the plug. This "jerry-rigging" might be acceptable in an inner city tenement but should not be acceptable in a chain hotel commanding top dollar. The room size was quite adequate with a king bed but there was plenty of unused room for a small table and two easy chairs to enable a couple to enjoy fine room service. Instead, there was a small desk with an office chair that was so beaten and worn, flakes of what was once leather or faux leather were on the back of my trousers. My wife called asking for a replacement which was delivered within 2 minutes. The staff was wonderful but if I was an employee, I would feel a level of embarrassment and a need to apologize to the guests. It is my opinion that the owner or ownership group needs to visit this hotel and realize that when you are charging higher end prices, you had better be delivering what those patrons should expect. I am thinking about returning to this hotel in a year or so to see if my comments have done any good.

Room Tip: Do not accept a room near the front entrance due to a utility yard where late night/early morning st...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Thomas W
shashi_poudyal2, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Pedro, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback. I can certainly understand your disappointment in products as outlined in your comments. We have recognized the need to have some of the guest rooms and public areas soft goods upgraded in the near future and are working diligently on getting this done. We are truly sorry that this has left you with a bad test of our Hotel. At the same time, I am pleased that you had a great experience in terms of overall service at the Hotel. I sincerely hope you will give us an opportunity to be of your service whenever your travel brings you to San Pedro area.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

We came in from the East Coast for a Memorial Service for a family member. The hotel took very good care of us and made our stay enjoyable. The lobby/bar, with the pool table and computers, was a huge hit with the young and old! We upgraded to a marina view and it was so worth it, what a way to wake up, beautiful! If we are ever in the area again we will come back!

Room Tip: Marina View
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 17, 2012

The Doubletree by Hilton in San Pedro, CA simply doesn't measure up to this chain's standards. Given the location and lack of other decent hotels in this area, it may well be clearly the best choice but that is a relative comparison in a poor field. The hotel itself is tired, outdated and in need of significant capital renovation from the lobby area to the guest rooms. Although the bed was comfortable and seemed to be of a recent vintage, the rest of the room was in poor shape. Among other things, the carpet was worn with some staining and the chairs (especially the desk chair) were old, cracked / ripped and not comfortable. Additionally, the controls on the desk chair did not work so it could not be raised to a comfortable working height for the desk. The towels were not terrible but could stand to be replaced and one had several black marks on it. The only thing saving the hotel from a rating of one or two was the staff. The representatives I encountered were pleasant, professional, efficient and helpful. They were the only thing that seemd to be at the level one would expect from a Doubletree location.

Room Tip: The Marina view rooms do offer a pleasant vista.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Spud18
shashi_poudyal2, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Pedro, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Thank you so much for your feedback and please accept my sincere apologies that your experience was less than satisfactory. Any feedback we receive helps to make us better. Please be assured that we will be replacing our guest room desk chairs along with other soft goods in the near future. On a positive note, I am glad that the level of service you received from the staff members exceeded your expectations. I would love to have you come back and give us another chance to prove that this is not usual for our hotel. Thank you.

Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

Would absolutely stay here again. San Pedro is very quaint and quiet. Absolutely LOVED our breakfast at Rex's Cafe, within walking distance from the hotel. Beautiful view of the bay from our room. Very safe open walking trail around the Bay Area within a short walk from the hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012