“Close to cruise ships, price for parking varies”

Best Western Plus San Pedro Hotel & Suites
Ranked #30 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We stayed here overnight before boarding a cruise ship. They are in the process of remodeling so probably not presenting their hotel at its best. They rooms were comfortable but the bed pillows were very small (half normal size). Bed was comfortable. Staff was nice. They had a nice continental breakfast with fresh waffles you made yourself and quite a few other choices. Free shuttle to and from the dock, but a cab was only an 8.75 fare. Parking may or may not be free if you book through their website. They charge for parking posted in the lobby as 12.00 a day. Cruise lot is 15.00 a day. If you are going to park there get the rate well-established in advance as we had some issues with a different price quote after we arrived. But the staff was helpful and all was fixed to my satisfaction.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Mskyyoung

Reviewed October 19, 2012

I stayed here for one night before leaving on a cruise. Our room was recently refurbished and was very clean and comfortable. The hotel is undergoing renovations so the bar was not open, but when the manager saw that we had bought some wine, he invited us to enjoy it in the breakfast area, where he unpacked wine glasses for us and had a corkscrew waiting on the table. The next morning, he had chair put on the terrace so we could enjoy some sunny weather before leaving on our cruise. The hotel has free wifi and a free shuttle to the port. We walked around the area and found a unique wine shop - Off the Vine and had a great lunch at the San Pedro Diner, feeling quite safe in the area. I would choose this hotel to stay at if leaving on another cruise from the San Pedro port.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Dt_Wo55
Reviewed October 18, 2012

On my stay in early October 2012, the hotel was still in the midst of renovation. Based on my room, the free breakfast, helpful staff, & free shuttle to the San Pedro pier, this could have been rated higher, if not for the daytime racket from the renovations. The 3rd floor corridors & rooms appear to be completed, but the 4th floor corridors looked like a disaster area, but the rooms were still very nice. The dining area was near completion & breakfast was decent. The pool area looked good. Apparently there will be no bar, on the restaurant when all is completed. It's an older area & about 1/2 mile to the water & attractions. Don't waste your time or money on a "Harbor View". It's a long way away & more like a street view with maybe some harbor lights at night. I'd definitely stay again, but after renovations are completed. Call the hotel & ask before booking.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank davesondeck
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I cannot say enough good things about this hotel! It was amazing value (I booked directly through their web site, it was actually cheaper than the travel sites), the interior is gorgeous (antiques!), the room was absolutely perfect and was made up brilliantly every day (fresh towels!), the free breakfast was great, the undercover parking is free, it's only a minute from the freeway, there are plenty of restaurants nearby (check out Jasmine Hana across the street... amazing fried rice!) and the rooms are very soundproof. I know, because they were cleaning the carpet in the hall and I had no idea until I opened the door and heard the roar of the fans drying the carpet. And hey, they actually clean their carpet!

I stayed here with my parents during the last leg of our 4 week trip across the US, and after staying in some pretty disappointing (and stinky) hotels, this really was the perfect end to our holiday.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank Melissa A
Reviewed August 26, 2012

While this hotel isn't really convenient to Hollywood or Santa Monica pier (where we spent much of time) the drive isn't bad (anywhere from 30-60 minutes depending on traffic and route). It's more convenient for those taking cruises from the San Pedro area. The hotel itself was superb. Rooms were spacious and clean, beds were comfortable, wifi worked well, pool and hot tub were a nice size, and continental free breakfast was better than most. Staff was excellent! The hot tub was more like very warm bath water and we were told it was turned up as high as possible by the front desk. It was still enjoyable. I appreciated that no one came out to close everything down as we got back late each night (10 or so) and enjoyed winding down. Breakfast was a nice surprise with danishes, mini muffins, bread and english muffins for toast, milk, juice, cereal, hard boiled eggs, waffles, sausage and yogurt. It's available later than most until 10 a.m. which was convenient since we weren't in a hurry to get going each day. We even arrived late one morning at about 9:50 hoping to grab a couple of things before time was up and the staff was so kind to ask if there was anything we would like that had already been put away! Something I've never seen before that I liked was the fact that you had to have a room key to access the floors with rooms (swipe the card in the elevator before it would allow you to go to those floors). I thought that was a very nice security feature.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 4th floor overlooking the street. I enjoy activity so I liked the view. It wasn...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank blabink
Reviewed August 26, 2012

This hotel is very clean, and the rooms are very large, bathrooms newly renovated.
We stayed here as it was centrally located, and it was our first trip to California and wanted to explore. It is just beside the freeway--an easy 30 minute drive downtown L.A., 15 minute drive from Long BEach, and centrally located between the northern & southern beaches.

We pretty much only stayed at the hotel for sleeping, as we packed our bags for the day when we left each day to explore. Beds were comfortable, rooms large and spacious, nice renovated bathroom,... Breakfast was also very good, the orange juice tasted as if it was freshly squeezed, and the waffles were also very good!

If im being picky, my only complaint is that the pressure in the shower was weak...

Would definitely stay here again, as prices are very good, and it has everything I am looking for in a hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JoannaD627
Reviewed August 11, 2012

I thought this wouldn't work out--but I was so wrong--never, I mean never judge book by its cover--The hotel is situated at the end of the 110 Freeway at the Port of Los Angeles--it has antiques in the lobby, in its hallways and in its rooms--Real plants so they practice being "green"--The rooms are spacious and the bathrooms have been newly renovated--I firmly believe that given the opportunity it can become a hotel most of us won't be able to afford in a few years--So I am going to enjoy it while I can--

it's the small things that make this a nice place to stay--The staff is outstanding in customer service--Every request, and I mean every request was immediately met--It they could accommodate--and in most cases they were able to do so--

Breakfast every morning is outstanding--there is something for everyone--And the products are quality and recognizable--Thomas' and Tropicana rather than generic products--Real eating utensils and not paper products-- Real cloth tablecloths not plastic--

Now the drawbacks--

It can get noisy with the traffic at night and early mornings so ask for a room away from the front--And they need to get bottled water dispensers for their guests-- And they need to get their Fitness Center up and running--but hey, Best Western Redondo (Where I usually stay) needs to do the same--other than that these I had no complaints whatsoever--

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street it can get noisy during rush hours due the hotel's location
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo