“HIGHly recommended”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“HIGHly recommended”
Reviewed May 22, 2014 via mobile

My second stay at Hotel Erwin and they've had a bit of a revamp since last year. Firstly a big thanks for recognising me as a returning guest with a free upgrade to a suite! A bit wasted on me as a solo traveller on this occasion but I think they offered it as it was available midweek so I could just check it out.

Opinion - very cool. Roomy living area, big TV, dining table for 6 people with kitchenette and separate bedroom and shower room (no bath). Minibar (full bar) and even options like a whole roast hog delivered are awesome. If you are a group looking to party in Venice, one or two of you should book a suite and host your friends!

As always, great rooftop views from the bar although it's really configured for groups with sofas round the balcony, bottle service etc. And the BarLo menu is good for a leisurely if not too healthy breakfast.

Location is perfect for Venice boardwalk and bars and restaurants such as Larry's and Del Monte Speakeasy. Santa Monica pier is a pleasant 20 minute jog down the beach if you're feeling energetic. Valet parking in/out is very efficient.

Only downside is that it's expensive. Location is everything and once you factor in breakfast, parking etc you are looking at > $300 per night, which is probably too much for what it is, but is still a lot less than comparably located hotels like The Shore, Shutters on the Beach etc. Just be aware you'll probably do a double-take at checkout but if you can afford it, go for it! A bit less pricey and it would get 5*.

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Angelica V, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
We truly appreciate having you as a loyal guest and our sincerest thanks for taking the time to share your experience. Our central location can’t be beat! There’s always so much to do and see just outside our lobby doors. We’ll see you next time you’re in Venice Beach!

Team Erwin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
  • Polish first
Reviewed May 20, 2014 via mobile

Perfect hotel to enjoy a gorgeous breath- taking view! The best of room service and friendly staff! Excellent beds and everything you could possibly ask for :) you get what you pay for worth every dollar I spent there! So much to do, so much to see in this free spirited getaway!

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
We’re absolutely thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for such an awesome review. We truly appreciate the kind words about our staff! We hope you will be staying with us again the next time you're traveling to Venice Beach.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 19, 2014 via mobile

Rooms were very nice and clean. The location is great 3.5 mile walk to Santa Monica. Right in the heart of Venice. Rooftop bar was very nice awesome sunset views. 12 min walk other direction to Washington st where lots of rest and bars are located. C&O good Italian place!!
Room walls a little thin that faced the alley heard booming music till late hours in the night. One elevator and very slow try to get room on 3 floor so you can just take the stairs. Larry's rest right around the corner good upscale. Sidewalk cafe great food and casual dining and great people watching right on Venice beach walkway! Little overpriced hotel so try and look for deals! Overall good stay.

Stayed May 2014
Thank you for writing this review and for sharing your restaurant picks. We’re so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again the next time your travels bring you to Venice Beach.

Sonoma, California
Reviewed May 13, 2014

This hotel has fun eclectic decor much like Venice Beach. My room was not ocean view and looked at a parking lot but beyond that was lots of interesting structures and graffiti art. There are many homeless on the beachfront but I was not nervous about them. All in all a great location close enough to walk to some fun shopping and the 2 piers. I was there for Mother's Day with my family. highly recommend the Getty Center. Check out what is happening there on Saturday night.
I was on the 3rd floor which is only one flight of stairs from the lobby so easy to do and not use the elevator.
Did not appreciate the cost of the parking, $30 per night, as I imagine most people drive there. good internet. very comfortable beds. Loved the rooftop, just be prepared if you are over 40 that this whole area is full of young people and just go anyway.

Room Tip: wouldn't worry about the ocean view if you don't spend much time in your room, just a short...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank PattyD465
Angelica V, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
We’re so happy to hear that you spent Mother’s Day with us and that you enjoyed your stay. There’s something for everyone in Venice Beach and there’s never a dull moment! We hope you’ll stay with us again the next time your travels bring you to Venice.

Wishing you and your family the very best,
San Jose, California
Reviewed May 10, 2014

This was my third stay at the Hotel Erwin. All of my stays were for work trips and I told myself I wouldn't stay at this hotel again after my second visit. However, my manager wanted to stay here so I had no choice. I was pleased though that my third stay was much better than my previous one.

I arrived in the late evening and was very happy that the check-in process was fast since I was tired. The staff was friendly and issued me room 507, which had a partial ocean view. The room was no different than the types I had stayed in before. The decor was funky with bright colors and the room had minimal amenities.

I noticed that there was no bottled water so I called to have some sent. I couldn't remember if the water was complimentary from my past stays but the person on the phone didn't mention a cost so I figured it was. It turns out it was not since I later saw the charge on my credit card statement. I don't mind paying for bottled water, though it is complimentary at most hotels. It just would have been nice if the person on the phone had mentioned the cost upfront.

I stayed for just one night and had a much better sleep this time around since there was no noise from the pipes to wake me up. Check-out was also fast and the valet attendants were quick in bringing my car around. The only thing that can be improved was that I never received an email copy of my bill though it had been supposedly sent.

Overall, the Hotel Erwin still isn't my first choice but I won't be as unwilling to stay there anymore for future work trips.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank LC411
Thank you for taking the time to write this review and we’re so happy to hear your most recent stay was better than the last. We do apologize for the confusion about the water. Should you still need a copy of your bill, feel free to email me at aseyfried@hotelerwin.com and I’d be happy to help. We thank you for your business and we hope to see you again soon.

Sydney
Reviewed May 4, 2014

I always like to stay at a nice hotel for the last few nights of a vacation. So hotel Erwin looked like a good option. Its location is great, and the staff were nice. The room however was average. I paid extra for a "premium ocean view". My first room had only a view of the neighboring car park. After complaining that this was not what I paid for I was given a new room which did have a small ocean view if you went outside and looked right.

I did see they do have rooms which directly overlook the ocean, but apparently these are ocean suites. To call my room a 'premium ocean view' was a stretch of the imagination. It would better be described and an ocean view or partial ocean view.

To make things worse, I was charged for mini bar items I never used on checkout. It took a bit of arguing to fix the problem.

Room Tip: I would avoid paying for ocean views. In my experience you will not get value for money.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank shamway
Angelica V, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience with us and for being our guest. We do apologize that the view from your room was not what you expected but we do hope that the rest of your stay was pleasant and relaxing. The next time your travels bring you to Venice Beach, please feel free to directly reach out to aseyfried@hotelerwin.com and we’ll be sure to set you up with a great room.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

Cool hotel, in a great location, right on Venice beach. Rooms were large and beds very comfortable. Most staff were very friendly and helpful, although we booked a city tour with reception and just sheer lack of communication between staff resulted in a bit of a mess up which was very annoying as our time is LA was limited. The hotel does provide a car service which was great as we were a group if 5 and getting taxis was a hassle. Drivers were always friendly and helpful recommending bars and places to see. Rooftop bar was lovely, great views of the beach. id recommend reserving a table if you want to sit down. All thought we experienced a few hiccups I thought the hotel was great for 5 young (ish) travellers and would stay again. Oh and the blueberry pancakes for breakfast are a must! Incredible. :-)

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Blairokitty
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. We’re happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and got to try the blueberry pancakes! They are absolutely delicious! We do apologize about the inconvenience you experienced regarding your city tour. Again, thank you so much for being our guest and we hope to see you soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
Venice On The Beach Hotel
Venice On The Beach Hotel
#58 of 351 in Los Angeles
Hilton Garden Inn Los Angeles Marina Del Rey

Been to Hotel Erwin? Share your experiences!