“Better stay this time around”
Review of Hotel Erwin

Hotel Erwin
Ranked #13 of 358 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 10, 2014

This was my third stay at the Hotel Erwin. All of my stays were for work trips and I told myself I wouldn't stay at this hotel again after my second visit. However, my manager wanted to stay here so I had no choice. I was pleased though that my third stay was much better than my previous one.

I arrived in the late evening and was very happy that the check-in process was fast since I was tired. The staff was friendly and issued me room 507, which had a partial ocean view. The room was no different than the types I had stayed in before. The decor was funky with bright colors and the room had minimal amenities.

I noticed that there was no bottled water so I called to have some sent. I couldn't remember if the water was complimentary from my past stays but the person on the phone didn't mention a cost so I figured it was. It turns out it was not since I later saw the charge on my credit card statement. I don't mind paying for bottled water, though it is complimentary at most hotels. It just would have been nice if the person on the phone had mentioned the cost upfront.

I stayed for just one night and had a much better sleep this time around since there was no noise from the pipes to wake me up. Check-out was also fast and the valet attendants were quick in bringing my car around. The only thing that can be improved was that I never received an email copy of my bill though it had been supposedly sent.

Overall, the Hotel Erwin still isn't my first choice but I won't be as unwilling to stay there anymore for future work trips.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank LC411
Angelica V, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and we’re so happy to hear your most recent stay was better than the last. We do apologize for the confusion about the water. Should you still need a copy of your bill, feel free to email me at aseyfried@hotelerwin.com and I’d be happy to help. We thank you for your business and we hope to see you again soon.

Team Erwin

Write a ReviewReviews (1,393)

Reviewed May 4, 2014

I always like to stay at a nice hotel for the last few nights of a vacation. So hotel Erwin looked like a good option. Its location is great, and the staff were nice. The room however was average. I paid extra for a "premium ocean view". My first room had only a view of the neighboring car park. After complaining that this was not what I paid for I was given a new room which did have a small ocean view if you went outside and looked right.

I did see they do have rooms which directly overlook the ocean, but apparently these are ocean suites. To call my room a 'premium ocean view' was a stretch of the imagination. It would better be described and an ocean view or partial ocean view.

To make things worse, I was charged for mini bar items I never used on checkout. It took a bit of arguing to fix the problem.

Room Tip: I would avoid paying for ocean views. In my experience you will not get value for money.
2  Thank shamway
Angelica V, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and for being our guest. We do apologize that the view from your room was not what you expected but we do hope that the rest of your stay was pleasant and relaxing. The next time your travels bring you to Venice Beach, please feel free to directly reach out to aseyfried@hotelerwin.com and we’ll be sure to set you up with a great room.

Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

Cool hotel, in a great location, right on Venice beach. Rooms were large and beds very comfortable. Most staff were very friendly and helpful, although we booked a city tour with reception and just sheer lack of communication between staff resulted in a bit of a mess up which was very annoying as our time is LA was limited. The hotel does provide a car service which was great as we were a group if 5 and getting taxis was a hassle. Drivers were always friendly and helpful recommending bars and places to see. Rooftop bar was lovely, great views of the beach. id recommend reserving a table if you want to sit down. All thought we experienced a few hiccups I thought the hotel was great for 5 young (ish) travellers and would stay again. Oh and the blueberry pancakes for breakfast are a must! Incredible. :-)

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Blairokitty

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. We’re happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and got to try the blueberry pancakes! They are absolutely delicious! We do apologize about the inconvenience you experienced regarding your city tour. Again, thank you so much for being our guest and we hope to see you soon!

Reviewed April 24, 2014

I have stayed here twice, 18 months apart. I loved it the first time and even more this time. Under new (since first visit) general manager Scott Gold, you can see that the Erwin is really on the move. The suites are huge (and I believe all rooms have a balcony) and this is where you really get value. The Erwin just stands out for character, location and staff. Really really special staff.

I travel regularly for work and pleasure and these are the most helpful, genuinely friendly, approachable, kind -- REAL staff I've known. We had one bump and you'd think the entire hotel (seriously) made it their number one job to ensure that there were no more. They did nice (and fun) things to let us know they were thinking of us!

Get this: The general manager took a turn at the doors for a bit when things were crowded, and I thought he was a valet/doorman. Scott was totally down to earth, didn't act all "I'm the GM," and we ended up talking for a long time, sharing our impressions, learning about his plans, etc. It made us feel quite special. Plus he was genuinely attentive. Not looking at his watch, showing worry about something he was supposed to be doing -- all false charm. Nope. Like talking with your close friend who is top notch and has a sense of humor. Very impressed.

I kept waiting for some bored going-through-the-motions person to appear, from housekeeping to front desk to rooftop bar (breathtaking) to first floor bar/restaurant (the BEST food and staff) to valet to...and was disappointed (lol) not to find one.

You need to come with the right attitude as well: This is a fun place with whimsy and character -- more like a W -- in the best beach location, at a great price for what you get (you'd pay WAY more for the rooms elsewhere and not even get the beach, lemme tell ya). The rooftop bar has spectactular views. If you want stuffy, zero decibel, old school hotel curtains and chairs? Not the Erwin. Be open to fun and you will have it.

Nuff said. Thanks Scott, Ryan, Janna, Mike, Michael, and on an on.

Room Tip: I've stayed here twice and made it a vacation (6+ nights). First time, partial oceanview suite...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Angelica V, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2014

Thank you so much for your kind words! We're thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us so much! Unlike a lot of big box hotels, we take immense pride in providing unpretentious, genuine customer service and treating every guest that walks through our doors like VIP’s. We truly appreciate having you as a guest and our sincerest thanks for taking the time to share your experience. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to Venice Beach.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

What would Venice Beach be without the historic Hotel Erwin----and for Us--
The High Bar--a rooftop F&B viewing phenomena!! 360 degrees of the famed
Venice beach area and Venice beach pier--overlooking the open Pacific ocean.
Staff was very accommodating and because We were early---had the best of the
best seating area for full panoramic viewing. Our lunch was excellent----pulled
pork sandwiches, crab rolls, cheese platter--excellent margaritas-and for very
good value. Blankets wraps available upon request---and great background
music.
Overall---outstanding experience. When in this location of L.A.---this Hotel bar
is a must!
No--We did not have time to enjoy the other amenities of the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to write this awesome review about High Rooftop Lounge. We just revamped our menu for the summer so we’re absolutely delighted to hear you enjoyed the food! Thank you for visiting the rooftop and we hope you’ll be back again to catch another beautiful sunset!

Reviewed April 22, 2014

Not your typical hotel...funky, beach vibe just like the Venice location.

Room decor is beachy and quirky. We upgraded to the suite and what was considered "not an ocean view" had a lovely balcony with pretty much a view of the whole darn thing...plus the mountains of Malibu.

The staff is awesome here...gave us everything we needed and then some.

Eclectic mix of guests...take that as you will. Surfers, partiers, couples, families. Everyone was pretty respectful.

I was concerned about being too much in the fray of Venice, but the hotel is tucked back just enough so that you can join the boardwalk madness or head toward the calm of the canals or Abbot Kinney.

Room Tip: Ask for the Malibu view...no upcharge and you really see a lot of ocean. It's not right in fron...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Thank you so much for being our guest and taking the time to show us some love! We're so happy you enjoyed your stay and had a relaxing vacation. We hope to see you again!

Reviewed April 20, 2014

I was amazed that every encounter in the Hotel and the restaurants were just exceptional. Friendly - but not in some artificial hotel way. The hotel is in a transition and there are some snags, but when the service is A+, then one can overlook some of the problems. We had a suite overlooking the ocean - granted - you see the parking lot and Beachfront stores & hear the music, but you also see the ocean - Go up to the top - High (bar) and the view is even more amazing.

The hotel is just starting renovations and one can see that is time for them. The beach look should be brought up a notch and will be.

Have fun!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Angelica V, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

We are absolutely delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and thank you for the kind words regarding our team members! We strive to continually provide our guests with top notch service so that they leave felling like a VIP. We hope you’ll come back and visit us the next time your travels bring you to Venice Beach.

Wishing you all the best,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
Santa Monica
Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel
Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel
#11 of 36 in Santa Monica

Been to Hotel Erwin? Share your experiences!