“Great Location”

Hotel Erwin
Ranked #12 of 357 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Hi, i spent 3 days here around Thanksgivings day. Had a great time visiting Venice Beach for the 1st time after not being there over 18 years ago and also not flying since then. Got a great surprise finding out Medical Marijuana is legal there and everywhere i could smell its lovely aroma, just awesome! Everyone seems mellow, even the homeless werent drunk or rowdy and thats for a reason. I went with the 'room tip' and ended up in rm 631 in the corner away from everything noisy, absolutely peaceful and clean with a great view of the beach and city. I'm a camper so i didn't know the packed mini bar wasnt free?? omg, anyway, it was worth it for me! And rode my rented bike AT NIGHT from Venice Boardwalk to Santa Monica Boardwalk. 98% of the Staff was very friendly and accommodating! Enjoyed both the rooftop, restaurant and island bar. I even got my 'Groove On' with a Hottie Aussie staying there half my age:)! The place was full of Cubs trying to make this Cougar purr!

Room Tip: Room 631 is away from everything noisy but close to stairs or elevator and great view of city &...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Angelica V, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

Thank you for the awesome review! It seems like you had a really memorable trip! Our hotel is right in the center of all the Venice Beach action so we’re happy to hear you were able to explore via bicycle AND get your groove on with a hottie cub. We hope you’ll come back and pay us a visit next time you’re in the neighborhood!

Wishing you all the best,
Team Erwin

Write a ReviewReviews (1,394)

Reviewed December 4, 2013

We didn't stay here but we were told to go and experience the rooftop bar – and we're glad we did. The views are stunning, even better as the sun goes down. I'd recommend booking a table in advance to avoid disappointment.

The hotel seemed pretty good too, nice relaxed atmosphere.

Definitely worth checking out.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Angelica V, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2013

Thank you so much for stopping by our gorgeous rooftop. The views are second to none and on a clear day you can even see all the way to Catalina Island! We look forward to having you back!

Reviewed December 3, 2013

Great Hotel in Venice. Great view from the sky lounge at the roof top. Very good service. A special thanx to Miguel, who made it possible to check the weight of our suitcases. Perfect place to go to Santa Monica or Malibu by bike. We'll be back.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

We’re so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much that you’ll be coming back! Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with feedback and we’ll pass the kind words onto Miguel. He's absolutely fantastic at what he does and we're very lucky to have him on the team. We’ll see you soon!

Reviewed November 27, 2013

Booked via their website

Checkin: Friendly, all fine
Checkout: Friendly, all fine

Location: Venice beach. Pot smokers, veterans, poor people, nice people, young ones, healhty people. Vibrant and interesting location. Hotel is very close to the action,
--> very good location. For everything you want to do.

Rooms: Nice rooms, nothing special, all fine

Overall: Good place, fair pricing, good service, cool location. Give them a try

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Thank you so much for writing a review about your stay. You’re absolutely right about Venice Beach being eclectic! There’s never a dull moment and the boardwalk has some of the best people watching you’ll find in California! We hope you had a lovely journey home. We’ll see you soon!

Reviewed November 27, 2013

Very hip boutique hotel on Venice Beach. Views of the Pacific Ocean and the city. Can't wait to return. Walk to the Venice Beach boardwalk, grab a seat and a drink, and watch the fun. Or you can sit on the balcon of your room and just listen to the waves. It's that close. Love this place.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

We’re delighted to hear you had a great Erwin Experience! We’re conveniently located just 200 feet from the ocean so hearing the waves from your balcony is a fabulous perk our rooms offer! Thank you so much for staying with us and we can’t wait for you to come back!

Reviewed November 22, 2013

This summer, my wife and I holidayed in California and Hawaii. My wife’s birthday fell during the Californian leg of our holiday, and I wanted to surprise her with a “trip within a trip” as part of her present. She’s always liked Venice Beach, just outside Los Angeles, so it was a natural place for us to stay.

I found Hotel Erwin on the internet. I knew its great location one street back from the Boardwalk from previous visits to Venice, and upon asking a few Californian friends for their thoughts, I received positive feedback of its quality. So I made a reservation, and kept it a secret from my wife until her birthday eve.

Having battled through heavy traffic on the 405 driving up from Laguna, we arrived in Venice late Saturday morning, and headed directly to the Erwin. The valet was typically American with his natural friendliness and efficiency. Check-in was seamless, although there was a little confusion about who was actually looking after us – both staff members thought the other was, when in fact neither was! That aside, everything was perfect on arrival, and we quickly felt de-stressed after our frustrating 2-hour journey.

We were shown an option of two rooms, and we chose the larger suite with the lesser view, over the smaller room with the beach view. We really appreciated being given this choice, something rarely afforded to high-season hotel guests, in my experience. The suite was beautifully decorated in ironic retro style that perfectly suited our own personal taste.

After a day enjoying the sights of Venice, including lunch at the fabulous Bank of Venice Public House (beneath the light bulbs of the famous VENICE sign), an obligatory visit to the famous basketball courts, skate bowl and “Muscle Beach” gym, a meander along the canals and back along the beautiful behemoth of a beach, stopping off for some fine local beer at the recommended On The Waterfront Cafe beside the Boardwalk, we returned to the Erwin to find a complementary “birthday platter” in our room. This included two pairs of quirky, wayfarer-style sunglasses, a bottle of sparkling wine, and some chocolate-covered strawberries. My wife was thrilled at this gesture – and I was equally pleased that the staff had spotted the discreet birthday reference I’d buried deep inside an earlier email. Husband points and hotel points in the bag!

Before arriving, a friend had suggested I reserve a table at the Erwin’s famous rooftop bar for sunset cocktails, and I’m so glad we did. We were given the best view in (or rather “on”) the house, with front row seats overlooking the Pacific, towards the brunt orange setting sun. The cocktails were lovely, the fleece blankets were a necessary luxury, and the service couldn’t have been any better. The staff also knew we were celebrating my wife’s birthday, and on arrival we were greeted with complementary glasses of bubbly. More hotel points.

The evening continued in this rich pattern of quality. We dined at the fantastic American tapas restaurant Superba on Rose Street. Lots of small dishes, all unique, diverse and gorgeous. Unfortunately, the open kitchen and bar-style dining brought to our attention a few of the owner-chef’s questionable habits – like his fondness for picking his teeth before sprinkling salt over a dish of food, and repeatedly rubbing his face before massaging ingredients between his fingers. That aside, it was a great meal.

On Sunday morning we breakfasted at the Erwin’s own diner, Barlo. I arrived ahead of my wife and mentioned to the server that it was her birthday. She offered to present my wife with a surprise cakey treat, which I thought was a lovely idea. When my wife joined me she told our server that she wanted a gluten and wheat free breakfast, so the quick thinking server – having not yet surprised my wife with her cakey treat – spontaneously changed it for a beautiful fruit platter. More hotel points.

After breakfast we checked-out with heavy hearts. My wife loved her birthday surprise, and our stay at Hotel Erwin played a huge part in the whole experience. Both husband and hotel earned a significant number of points for their combined efforts.

Room Tip: Ask to be shown options.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank timrhutchins
Angelica V, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2013

Thank you so much for sharing your amazing Erwin Experience with us! We’re so happy to hear we made your wife’s birthday so special. Every guest that walks through our lobby doors is a V.I.P. to us and we strive to make their stay the very best it can be! Thank you again for allowing us to be part of your special celebration. We can’t wait for you to come back for a visit!

Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

The Erwin has a friendly staff, clean rooms and a great location right on the beach. My suite had a fireplace which was a nice touch. I'm deducting one star because the TV only had about 12 channels and most of them were not HD which was disappointing for an otherwise stellar, trendy hotel.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

We’re happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and the cozy fireplace in your room! Thank you so much for the feedback regarding our channel selection. Our team continually strives to provide the very best for our guests so we’ll definitely look into that. Thank you again for being our guest and we look forward to your return.

Hotel Erwin

#15 of 357 in Los Angeles
Venice Beach Suites & Hotel
Venice Beach Suites & Hotel
#109 of 357 in Los Angeles

Been to Hotel Erwin? Share your experiences!