“The coolest hotel in the coolest town…”
Review of Hotel Erwin

Hotel Erwin
Ranked #11 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 22, 2013

This summer, my wife and I holidayed in California and Hawaii. My wife’s birthday fell during the Californian leg of our holiday, and I wanted to surprise her with a “trip within a trip” as part of her present. She’s always liked Venice Beach, just outside Los Angeles, so it was a natural place for us to stay.

I found Hotel Erwin on the internet. I knew its great location one street back from the Boardwalk from previous visits to Venice, and upon asking a few Californian friends for their thoughts, I received positive feedback of its quality. So I made a reservation, and kept it a secret from my wife until her birthday eve.

Having battled through heavy traffic on the 405 driving up from Laguna, we arrived in Venice late Saturday morning, and headed directly to the Erwin. The valet was typically American with his natural friendliness and efficiency. Check-in was seamless, although there was a little confusion about who was actually looking after us – both staff members thought the other was, when in fact neither was! That aside, everything was perfect on arrival, and we quickly felt de-stressed after our frustrating 2-hour journey.

We were shown an option of two rooms, and we chose the larger suite with the lesser view, over the smaller room with the beach view. We really appreciated being given this choice, something rarely afforded to high-season hotel guests, in my experience. The suite was beautifully decorated in ironic retro style that perfectly suited our own personal taste.

After a day enjoying the sights of Venice, including lunch at the fabulous Bank of Venice Public House (beneath the light bulbs of the famous VENICE sign), an obligatory visit to the famous basketball courts, skate bowl and “Muscle Beach” gym, a meander along the canals and back along the beautiful behemoth of a beach, stopping off for some fine local beer at the recommended On The Waterfront Cafe beside the Boardwalk, we returned to the Erwin to find a complementary “birthday platter” in our room. This included two pairs of quirky, wayfarer-style sunglasses, a bottle of sparkling wine, and some chocolate-covered strawberries. My wife was thrilled at this gesture – and I was equally pleased that the staff had spotted the discreet birthday reference I’d buried deep inside an earlier email. Husband points and hotel points in the bag!

Before arriving, a friend had suggested I reserve a table at the Erwin’s famous rooftop bar for sunset cocktails, and I’m so glad we did. We were given the best view in (or rather “on”) the house, with front row seats overlooking the Pacific, towards the brunt orange setting sun. The cocktails were lovely, the fleece blankets were a necessary luxury, and the service couldn’t have been any better. The staff also knew we were celebrating my wife’s birthday, and on arrival we were greeted with complementary glasses of bubbly. More hotel points.

The evening continued in this rich pattern of quality. We dined at the fantastic American tapas restaurant Superba on Rose Street. Lots of small dishes, all unique, diverse and gorgeous. Unfortunately, the open kitchen and bar-style dining brought to our attention a few of the owner-chef’s questionable habits – like his fondness for picking his teeth before sprinkling salt over a dish of food, and repeatedly rubbing his face before massaging ingredients between his fingers. That aside, it was a great meal.

On Sunday morning we breakfasted at the Erwin’s own diner, Barlo. I arrived ahead of my wife and mentioned to the server that it was her birthday. She offered to present my wife with a surprise cakey treat, which I thought was a lovely idea. When my wife joined me she told our server that she wanted a gluten and wheat free breakfast, so the quick thinking server – having not yet surprised my wife with her cakey treat – spontaneously changed it for a beautiful fruit platter. More hotel points.

After breakfast we checked-out with heavy hearts. My wife loved her birthday surprise, and our stay at Hotel Erwin played a huge part in the whole experience. Both husband and hotel earned a significant number of points for their combined efforts.

Room Tip: Ask to be shown options.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank timrhutchins
Angelica V, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2013

Thank you so much for sharing your amazing Erwin Experience with us! We’re so happy to hear we made your wife’s birthday so special. Every guest that walks through our lobby doors is a V.I.P. to us and we strive to make their stay the very best it can be! Thank you again for allowing us to be part of your special celebration. We can’t wait for you to come back for a visit!

Team Erwin

Write a ReviewReviews (1,366)

Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

The Erwin has a friendly staff, clean rooms and a great location right on the beach. My suite had a fireplace which was a nice touch. I'm deducting one star because the TV only had about 12 channels and most of them were not HD which was disappointing for an otherwise stellar, trendy hotel.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

We’re happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and the cozy fireplace in your room! Thank you so much for the feedback regarding our channel selection. Our team continually strives to provide the very best for our guests so we’ll definitely look into that. Thank you again for being our guest and we look forward to your return.

Hotel Erwin

Reviewed November 19, 2013

After 34 nights in the USA this hotel was the last straw. Don't get fooled by the picture above this is not the view you get from the king bed rooms!Instead you get a view of dirty old ramshackle buildings cast iron balustrades and cigarette butts on your balcony from the roof garden above. When queried the room allocation was dismissed by the receptionist with comments that the "nice" view with the glass balustrades are the 2 queen rooms and all king rooms have same view. Did not feel safe at all in this location after witnessing a drug overdose less than 20 metres from the hotel and many homeless wandering the area. For the price- stay somewhere else unless you enjoy this type of environment. A very dissappointing end to our trip

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Karen D

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your stay. We’re sorry to hear that your expectations were not met. Rest assured we are looking into improving the details you mentioned. Thank you for being our guest and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

The location is really great, it's practically on the beach. The service was incredible and the views from the rooftop bar are really amazing, particularly at sunset. It will be my first choice next time I will be in town!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Thanks for the awesome review! We’re happy to hear your experience exceeded your expectations. We can’t wait for you to come back!

Wishing you all the best,

Reviewed November 16, 2013

Stayed here with a friend-this hotel hit the mark and then some on all points-great location one block from Venice Beach, neighborhood a little urban and gritty, but I like that-killer food at the High Rooftop Bar (you must have lamb sliders and fresh guacamole) and BarLo for breakfast (Eggs Benedict and Salmon on Bagel-awesome), really comfortable bed and large bathroom, partial ocean view with balcony-worth the upgrade, provided beach towels and bag, and staff was really friendly and helpful! Miguel at the front desk was really extra personable and accommodating! I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: partial ocean view was really nice . . .
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for sharing your experience with us! We’re happy to hear you not only enjoyed the unique location but also the plush accommodations and delicious food! Our team takes pride on making our guests feel at home and Miguel is an excellent example of that. We can’t wait for you to come back!

Reviewed November 16, 2013

I'm a hospitality professional so my expectations of service are already fairly high. So it's rare when I find a hotel that not only delivers on, but exceeds my expectations. Every single person I encountered made me feel truly welcomed. Not in a scripted way the way the chains train their staff. In an authentic and genuine way. Each person is encouraged to be themselves and communicate in their voice - nothing rehearsed here.I did have a couple of random problems (to be expected) that were immediately addressed and resolved. And that's what's important. Venice Beach may not be for everyone, but if you have to stay anywhere in the area, stay here. That is if you like 5-star level service in a way that makes you feel right at home.

Room Tip: I had a partial oceanview which was nice. But if you are coming to the beach, just spend the extra d...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Thank you so much for the kind review! We are delighted to hear you had positive interactions with our team throughout your stay and that we made you feel right at home! It was truly our pleasure to have you as a guest and we look forward to your next visit!

Until then,

Reviewed November 4, 2013

I chose this hotel primarily for its views onto Venice Beach. The hotel was of a higher standard than I expected, it was clean and I stayed in a recently refurbished Ocean View King room. For me it was worth the extra money as I enjoyed the start of sunset from my balcony and also had breakfast (which was good) out there.
The cocktails on the rooftop bar were well made and good value and the view of the sunset from up there was brilliant.
I was able to leave my bags with the valet attendant in the morning for him to put in my car and then I came an collected my car early afternoon once I'd wandered round exploring the local area.
Not the cheapest hotel, but not the most expensive hotel with good beach views either!

Room Tip: Go for an Ocean View King and enjoy the views across the beach and out to sea.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Angelica V, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

We’re happy to hear we surpassed your expectations! Nothing beats waking up to a gorgeous sunrise from the comfort of your private balcony and catching a sunset on the rooftop. Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review and we hope to see you again.

Wishing you all the best,

Venice
The Kinney
The Kinney
#3 of 11 in Marina del Rey

Been to Hotel Erwin? Share your experiences!