“For almost $300 per night? I don't think so.”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Erwin

Hotel Erwin
Ranked #8 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Orlando, Florida
“For almost $300 per night? I don't think so.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

Five nights in room #326 are really not bearable due to continued, loud, creaky elevator noise.
Front desk acted like they'd never heard of the issue and did nothing to move us. We were offered a free night for our next stay via the social media team, but frankly, why would we? We deserve a restful night's sleep on this trip.

We booked via booking.com so now we're stuck here and sleep an average of 4-5 hours per night when the elevator isn't being used as much.

I checked every morning to see if rooms were available on the hotel website and they are, yet I'm told we can't move to a quiet room.

Disappointed and exhausted.

• Stayed June 2013
Aldo G, Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear VVVM,
It was great talking to you and I appreciate all of your feedback. I truly do apologize for the noise and the bad impression our front desk team member left on you. We are working diligently to provide a great experience to all of our guests and we are so glad we will be able to welcome you back and your group later on this year. I am confident you will experience an improved stay where we really do go above and beyond for our guests.
Again, I am so incredibly sorry you had a negative experience with us but if there is anything we can do for you, please don’t hesitate to reach out.

Aldo G
Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

Before I start with the review I would like to point out that Miguel is one of the best employees at the the Erwin. He is extremely helpful and kind, even with the hardest request.
This is not my 1st stay at the Erwin in fact it's my 4th. Now I can stay in Santa Monica, West Hollywood etc (which have in the past). But you have Venice! The Erwin is great in terms of location. Unlike most in LA you can walk. Abbott Kinney is a 5-10 min walk from the hotel with great shopping and food. The rooms are clean with a balcony. The roof bar is one of the best situations on most beaches in Cali. On a clear night the view is pretty amazing. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013
Angelica V, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Lalotla,

Thank you so much for choosing Hotel Erwin as your go-to hotel destination! We love to hear that our guests keep coming back because of our great location and even better service. Miguel truly is a superstar! We’re happy to hear you got to visit High Rooftop Lounge and walk to Abbot Kinney for some shopping and food. Abbot Kinney has actually been voted by GQ as the “Coolest Block in America” so we’re lucky to be so close to that fantastic community! Until next time…

Beverly Hills, California, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

I booked this hotel at the last minute, not sure what to expect. The check in was easy, the room was quiet and clean, and the breakfast the next morning was amazing. Ask for the everything breakfast burrito. It's the best thing you'll ever have. Ani was very helpful at checkout, and she helped clear some additional charges that were mistakenly billed. I definitely recommend it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Brandon,

Looks like you had a great “stay-cation”! We’re happy to hear you enjoyed the breakfast burrito from Barlo. It really is out of this world delicious! We apologize that you had a billing discrepancy but Ani is the perfect person to help as she is an absolute pro! Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you soon.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in one of the sunset room's. From the valet to the front desk every thing went great. The room was very comfortable and the bed..we loved it.I need to find out what brand the mattresses was we slept wonderfully. The views from the room were great. Thank you for a great stay.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Rick,

We’re so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and thank you for taking the time to write a review. The brand of mattress we offer is the ultra-plush Simmons Mattress brand which really does make for a great night’s sleep! We hope to see you again soon!

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

I organized a group meeting over several days last month with many different moving parts. Luckily, the staff at the hotel bent over backwards to ensure that every request our group had was met immediately. We had several room booking changes, right up until the day we arrived, and each change was made and taken in stride with no additional cost.

We also booked a meeting room for our group, and on the first day we discovered that we underestimated the amount of food our group would consume. The hotel catering and meeting staff were very accommodating when we requested that more food be brought out for each meal - and there was no additional charge.

Trips to Los Angeles can be ridiculously expensive due to the dearth of available rooms, especially in busy seasons. Add to that the cost of food, and the Hotel Erwin is not just a no brainer, it's a steal. I can't recommend the Erwin enough in terms of the savings to our group and the flexibility and attitude of the staff. We'll definitely book again with them in the future.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are incredible and overlook the famous Venice Boardwalk and Muscle Beach.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Aaron M, Assistant Front Office Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
k h,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great and detailed review! As a staff, we pride ourselves on our ability to accommodate many different requests and do it without breaking our exceptional service. We are glad to hear that your meetings went well and that our catering service was spot on for you. Thank you for your wonderful recommendation and we look forward to your next stay here at the Hotel Erwin.

Crested Butte
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

Born & raised in LA, came home to visit for 6n/7d vaca. I know the area and was not needing to splurge. I looked long and hard before deciding on the Erwin. Online photos make it look high quality and worth the price. The staff was wonderful, but, the facelift given to this hotel was not worth the $200+/night. Some issues:
1. Hole on the underside of the the box spring of mattress.
2. Stains in bathtub (probably from removing old anti-slip stickers. And it looks like the tub from original hotel).
3. Also looked like original bathtub fixtures from prior hotel.
4. Exposed phone or ethernet jack dirty (old, original faceplate?) and possibly not even in service.
5. No smart place to put the coffee machine (I used the floor).
6. Dust on an empty shelf in the tv console.
7. No chairs on my deck. (I'm sure I could have called for some, but I didn't think I should have had to.)
8. North and South sides of hotel do not have new, shiny decks as depicted online (those decks are only on beachfront rooms). They look like the original decks. (Chipped, stained stucco; black wrought iron railing.)
9. Door frame and sliding door for deck also appeared to be from original building.
10. The gym. One aero machine was broken. Very tiny. No room if there were more than 2 ppl in there. Rusted, exposed pipe in the ceiling. Peeling paint on those rusted pipes.

I had a fabulous time my one night there because friends visited and we took advantage of the rooftop lounge. Food was nice, drinks were great, view was awesome. But otherwise, I felt like this property has not seen any upgrades from what it used to be. It felt like a Motel 8 or other acceptable motor inn you find on the open highway. I stayed one night and moved to another hotel for the rest of my vacation.

The rooms are not in themselves terrible. However, for the money and for how this property is promoted and marketed, I felt it was definitely not worth it. If it were a $69/n motel, my ratings would be higher. It's all relative.

Room Tip: North side, 4th or 5th floor looks out over neighboring roof, so rooms below that will not have much...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank ps970
Aaron M, Assistant Front Office Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
ps970,

We are deeply sorry that you didn't have the exceptional stay our hotel guests are used to. We pride ourselves on the cleanliness of our rooms and I will make sure the appropriate individuals are notified about the issues you had with your room, as it is not the norm here. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your time on the rooftop lounge. The views up there are breath taking and can make for wonderful memories!

Thank you very much for the comment!

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights in April and from the moment we arrived the staff was all over us in terms of excellent service and attention .We were upgraded to a huge room that was well appointed and quiet...We must make special mention of Steve the bar manager on the roof who took us in hand on arrival and showed us around....not only that but he kindly comped our lunch including cocktails. Every time we saw him he went out of his way to help us and make sure we had a good time. The Valet parking staff were very efficient along with the restaurant staff...The location is outstanding for exploring the area and only a block from the beach....overall an excellent mini vacation..we would totally recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Don B,

Thank you so much for such an excellent review! We are so glad you enjoyed your time here and we're really pleased you made such a great connection with Steve. I will be sure to pass on the positive comments to him!

We look forward to seeing you soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
Santa Monica
Oceana Beach Club Hotel
Oceana Beach Club Hotel
#2 of 36 in Santa Monica

Been to Hotel Erwin? Share your experiences!