1,509 results
All reviewsrooftop barvenice beachocean viewhigh barsanta monicastay in venicemuscle beachabbot kinneyperfect locationboutique hotelcool hotelvalet parkinghotel guestshomeless peoplebabbobalconyskate
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I arrived early and the room was not ready. The staff offered to valet park the car so that we could walk and get something to eat. When we came back I was given an ocean front room. It was on the second floor and overlooked the parking lot. There was some sketchy guy walking in the parking lot staring up at me while I stood on the balcony. This made me feel uneasy since I was staying there alone. The front desk staff was very accommodating with offering me alternate rooms. The third room was perfect for me with a partial ocean view and a partial city view. It was on the 6th floor I believe.

The negative for this room is that it's right next to a concrete stair case that leads down from the roof top terrace. It was very noisy when people would run down the stairs, especially women in high heels. I'm a very late sleeper so this didn't bother me but I know it would bother some people.

All the rooms I looked at were very nice. The property was recently renovated. Some of the rooms are very small. Ask to see whatever is available until you find the one you like. The rooms were very, very clean. I'm extremely picky about that and they passed with flying colors.

The hot water in the shower was lukewarm. The staff would come by each day to ask you if everything is ok. When I told him about the lack of hot water someone was in my room working on it within minutes. I went for dinner and when I came back it was fixed.

The hotel staff was always friendly and helpful whenever I needed them. I was visiting family in the area. The staff was accommodating in allowing my family members to utilize the valet parking whenever they came to visit me.

The rooftop terrace was lovely. It has an excellent view of Venice Beach, the ocean and downtown. The drinks and food were all very good. Apparently it gets crowded up there so the staff is pretty annoying about asking if you have a reservation. They will seat you without a reservation but will repeatedly inform you that the table is reserved and that you will have to move once the other party arrives. I understand the need to say that once but not to continue to repeat it.

They also allow people to stand and enjoy the rooftop which can be unpleasant for the seated guest. People are hovering over you, getting into your space to take pics and leaving their empty glasses and plates on your table. That was very unpleasant.

It gets cold at night so the terrace has heat lamps and plenty of blankets. It's a really nice atmosphere late at night when it's not so crowded.

The crowd seemed like a young, hip and European crowd when I was there. So they could be boisterous. I'm easy going so it didn't bother me but something to consider if you're looking for something more sedate.

The location is excellent. It is one block from the middle section of Venice Beach. There are lots of nice restaurants with walking distance. The boardwalk is right there. The beach is right there. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The room right next to the staircase leading down from the roof top terrace can be very loud. The second floor ocean view room has a full ocean front view but it overlooks the parking lot. The parking lot was more noticeable than the ocean since the ocean is about two blocks away. Try to get a room higher up. That one didn't seem private as anyone walking in the parking lot can watch you while you're on the balcony.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
scastady, Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Dear teaharbor,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here at Erwin, we really appreciate it. I will make sure to pass along the great comments to the team here. We hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed March 22, 2013

Let me start by saying that when we arrived, I realized that my take on Venice Beach 30 years ago when I was in my 20s is not my take on Venice Beach today. I wanted an oceanfront room and remembered that Venice Beach was really interesting and funky. What did not sink in was that a Venice Beach hotel would likely be a reflection of the area. And, it was. A run down exterior, located located right next to a very loud tattoo parlor, with rooms that felt a bit dirty and run down, with furniture from the 1970s. This was not the quiet ocean front get away we were looking for [my bad]. The room smelled musty. It was big enough and the furniture definitely was retro - not that comfortable but cool to look at. It all had a kind of "we really haven't updated anything since the 1970s" feel to it. The staff was accommodating. But the whole experience was a bit too earthy and funky for us. Which may be more of a statement about us than the hotel. Bottom line is that you should know what you are getting - a fairly run down hotel in a very noisy & eclectic section of the beach. Not a place to relax and unwind but if Venice is your scene, then this might be the right place for you. BTW, parking was $33/night - not something which we were happy about given that the rooms were already a bit expensive given the hotel's condition.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
scastady, Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2013

Dear aaag,

Thank you for taking to time to give us the feedback and tell us about your most recent trip to Venice Beach, I am sorry to read that it did not meet your expectations. Venice is a very unique and diverse area which makes it such a great place to visit while in SoCal. Rest assured I will share this review with the rest of the management team and take action on the things we have control over. We went through a recent upgrade/renovation almost a year ago and the design and decor is retro, but all furniture in the hotel is relatively new. Should you decide to give Venice another try please contact myself directly and I will make sure you have a great time.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I recently stayed at the Erwin for one night upon a recommendation from a friend. I won't be staying there again. Although my friend has stayed many times and has no complaints, my experience was the opposite.
I tried to check in early and was told the room was not yet available which was fine, and I left my number behind to be called when the room was ready. I left the hotel to go shopping as I was told the room would be another 2-3 hours. I received a call from Miguel about an hour later to say the room was ready so I told him that I would be back later in the afternoon to check in as I was out shopping. I then had to spend five minutes justifying to him why I wasn't coming back right away because it was ready then and there. Really?!

After checking in, I asked the valet Paul how easy it would be to get a taxi to go to Abbot Kinney. He said don't worry about a taxi, we will get our car to take you. Great!

I tipped the driver when he dropped me off only to have him chase me down in a store and tell me that I forgot to pay him $10.00 for the drive. Any hotel I have ever stayed in that has a car service, you simply tip the driver.
When I got back to the hotel and told them about the situation, they said its because its not a hotel car service as I was told but an independent and they would make sure their valet explained that properly to future guests.
I went back to my room which had a do not disturb sign hanging on the door that I had left there and when I got in the room, it turned out that Do Not Disturb has a different meaning at the hotel as a package had been left on my dresser! So much for privacy.

I returned home yesterday only to receive an invoice for a pair of sunglasses that they apparently sell in the room and I did not purchase. I called the Hotel manager because at this point I was fed up and Dan was extremely patient and kind and said he would refund me the cost of the glasses and an additional credit of $14.00 for a total of $30.00. I received my updated statement last night to find that they credited me $13.00, not even the cost of the sunglasses!
I get it that hotels are not always on their game as I stay at a different hotel weekly but this stay was more like a comedy of errors, kind of felt like I was being punked!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 6th floor as its a new floor so nicer bathrooms. For women: there is no makeup/magnifying mirror so bring your own!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
scastady, Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Dear Sharon V,

I want to personally apologize for the many issues you had while at Erwin. I know you have already spoken to our GM about these issues and we wanted to once again thank you for your feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know how your service was so we can address and correct. We will make sure to follow up with the team here at the hotel as well. Should you decide to stay with us again, please contact me directly so I can make sure everything is smooth for you. Have a great day!

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Stayed at the Hotel Erwin this past weekend, one night the 16th March. We stayed in a partial sea view suite, and the stay was spectacular. The bar on the roof, HIGH, is spectacular, a great place to spend a day drinking, eating and watching the ongoing shenanigans of Venice beach below. One of the best rooftop bars I've been to. The room was great, perfect for hosting (well behaved!) parties, great amenities, v comfy beds etc. Breakfast downstairs was SUPERB, do not miss it. Staff were extremely friendly, knowledgeable and clearly proud to work in the hotel.

If you want to stay in an effortlessly cool, friendly, perfectly located hotel in Venice Beach, or any of the beaches on the coast in the area - Hotel Erwin is well worth a look. It's not a 'luxury' hotel - but it's great fun and is a perfect compliment to Venice Beach and the local spirit.

Even if you don't stay here you should visit the rooftop bar - which of course will lead you to want to stay here even more.

Room Tip: A sea view room is essential.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
scastady, Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Dear RWLondonLondon,

Thank you so much for such a great review of you recent stay. I am happy to see you were able to take advantage of all we have to offer here at the hotel and in Venice Beach. I will make sure to pass along your comments to the staff and F & B team, we really appreciate it. Hopefully we will see you back soon!

Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

This was a great hotel to stay at , location is 200 metres from the beach front . Rooms on 6 th floor have a balcony and you have this picture perfect view in the morning , an added bonus to your stay . Staff friendly and service was good overall despite one or two of the valet doorman not bring as friendly as others . Room service is good value and rooftop bar is awesome especially the views. This hotel is a bit on the expensive side to stay at but well worth it as the final destination to our USA holiday .

• Stayed: February 2013
scastady, Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Dear Janinevanb,

Thank you so much for your review about our hotel, we really appreciate you taking the time to do so. I am happy to see you were able to take advantage of our High Rooftop Lounge and I agree, the 6th floor rooms are awesome. Hopefully we will see you back soon!