“Amazing value for money!”
Review of Hotel Erwin

Hotel Erwin
Ranked #11 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Amazing value for money!”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We booked this hotel in a last minute deal through booking.com, and we had a very pleasant surprise.

The location is stunning - you are literally in the heart of Venice Beach, which is a must visit location.

The room was huge - probably the largest we had on our entire 3 weeks US trip, and was very nicely decorated. King bed was very spacious and comfortable.

The only downsides of this hotel are the expensive parking (I think it was 35$ per day) and the fact that Wi-Fi is an extra charge. But I guess for the price and the awesome rooms and location, this really shouldn't be an issue.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
  • Polish first
Warren, MI
Reviewed October 31, 2012

The Hotel Erwin is a nice, hippy sort of place just a short walk from Venice Beach. The staff is friendly and laid back, the chef is excellent and willing to go quite far out of his way to make your stay pleasant, the accomodations are clean and relaxed, and it "feels" like the type of hotel that is perfect for the Venice Beach area. It's true that the views from the rooms can be questionable - we had to crane our necks to see the ocean - but the view from the roof! Ah, magic. It is just spectacular, with torches at night for light, and blankets provided against the chill (we went in Spring). It gave me such good memories. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: I would definitely ask for a room with a good view! When I went (April 2011), the hotel was under c...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sharon D
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I have been a few times to LA and never found a relaxed trendy hotel near the beach. Well I found it now. Erwin hotel is a good hotel with a trendy lounge Bar on top of the hotel.
We stayed on the top floor but no problems with noise of Lounge Bar because music stops around 23:00.
Good views over the area and beach. A pity they don't have a swimming pool.
Employees park your car under the hotel. Just one or two minutes waiting to get it back at reception.
Reserve a lounge set for the night becuase it is getting crowded on the roof. If you didn't book onfront bring your hotel key...you have to wait but you will be helped sooner with a free table when you are a guest. Friendly staff and good snacks/food and drinks/cocktails.
Best sunset from venice.

Room Tip: Top floors have best view. You don't need seaview room for sunset because you will be standing o...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
scastady, Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear Bingtravel,

We are so happy to read that you found your new hotel by the beach. I do wish we had a pool as well, but the rooftop lounge more than makes up for it. Thanks for letting the other traveler know about making reservation at High, we do stress them and they can be made ahead of time on Urbanspoon. We hope that you return soon to your new home!!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 27, 2012

After 6 days in West Hollywood we moved to Venice Beach & the Erwin Hotel. Once again the most wonderful view from the roof top bar, which had an amazing vibe at night. The room was comfortable but the shower was no more than a dribble.

The restaurant which we called the bunker was just spot on, just like the set from cheers, with fun staff, good menu and the blueberry pancakes at breakfast were divine.
Hotel was near the main drag and you feel safe but when the sun goes down be on alert anything could happen.

Worst thing about the hotel was one small lift which is not fit for purpose.

Room Tip: go with the pace
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
scastady, Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear Jonathan S,

Hotel Erwin is so glad you enjoyed your stay here in Venice Beach. I will make sure to share your comments with the “bunker” team, aka Barlo. We will look into the comment about the shower head; we mostly get positive feedback with them. Hope you enjoyed the rest of you vacation and please think of us again when you return to SoCal!

Buford, Georgia, United States
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I booked this hotel because of the 3.5 star rating on Hotwire and expected a nice room with a great view. Unfortunately the disappointment started upon arrival. After checking into my room, I looked out the window and saw the view of the local alley-way instead of the beachfront as was advertised. I immediately contacted the front desk to change rooms and was first told by the clerk that another room was available but somehow after checking with her manager, I was told that room was no longer available.Strange! Instead I was offered free breakfast at their tiny restaurant and free valet parking (which saved me $30 dollars a day). The hotel is fairly old and has been updated to the modern look that you see in the pictures. The room and bathroom is small and furniture can be described as Target chic. Definitely not worth the price I paid. Although the room was close to the beach, a nicer place even a bit father away would have been a 100x better. This place may be a step up for those who generally stay at a cheap motel, but its definitely not 3.5 stars. I would rate it a 1.5-2 stars. Its not family friendly and you are asked to have a reservation if wanting to eat at their roof-top restaurant.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank WGGo
Dear WGGo,

I would like to apologize for the inconveniences of your recent stay. I see you stated that you booked through Hotwire, all of our negotiated rooms from that 3rd party travel agent are City View rooms, not Ocean View rooms. I am happy to see that we were able to provide you with complimentary valet parking in addition to complimentary breakfast to make your stay better. I would like to suggest next time book with me directly and we can sign you up for the Joy of Like club membership program which will give you discounts and perks at Hotel Erwin and other JdV Hotels.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 21, 2012

It was my 30th Birthday and I was led blindfolded through a long, cool hallway and stopped at the very end to read the words "Red Bull Suite". My boyfriend tried repeatedly to swipe the room key card so he could open the door to the suite where several family and friends awaited eagerly to yell out "SURPRISE!" on the other side.

My sister, on the other side of the door silently tip-toed up the staircase in high heels to quickly open the door and duck before I could see her. It made for a hilarious video we will always cherish. =)

I was shocked. Not so much at the surprise party (given the technical difficulties and my boyfriend so obviously sweating beads as he tried to open the door) =p but the venue itself. It was impressive! And I'm not easily impressed! I can't believe I had never heard of Hotel Erwin prior to this day.

The suite was decorated in modern fashion- white leather couches with brightly colored pillows for contrast. There was an adjoining balcony with just enough room for a small party to enjoy the seaside breeze. We had access to a private staircase to enter the rooftop deck where we had reserved seating amongst cushioned couches, heat lamps (when the sun set), warm throws, firepits and drink service. The hors d'oeuvres were a hit, especially the sliders (so I heard). I personally was only able to try the fig wrapped in goat cheese and prosciutto because I was bustling around saying hello to friends and family the entire night.

Inside the suite was a stocked bar and bartender and I had my very own custom drink, "Julie's Chocolate Surprise". I LOVED and appreciated that detail! My only complaint of the night was the fact that the cake my boyfriend had carefully hand-delivered was ruined. Fortunately, they made up for it with a substantial gift card to the hotel. And given their restaurant Barlo's A-mazing blueberry pancakes...we'll most definitely be putting it to good use several times over!

All-around the venue was perfect. The food, drinks and service were great and the memories priceless. Thank you Hotel Erwin for working closely with my boyfriend to make this birthday one for the records! You've set the bar high. This'll be tough to beat! ;)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Dear juliadelacruz,

Happy belated 30th birthday!!! So glad that you enjoyed your celebration!! We really appreciate you taking the time to write the review about the hotel. I will make sure to pass along the comments to the team.

Las Vegas
Reviewed October 20, 2012

This hotel by far is one of the best by Venice Beach! I had a great view of the beach and cool stay!!! When I stay in Cali I will stay at the Hotel Erwin...The staff was very friendly and very attentive at my stay. They also recommended where to go to eat in the area and on things to do in the area.

Room Tip: Ask to have a room that over sees the beach!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear SavoryLasVegas,

I was so happy to read your review, thank you so much for taking the time to share you experience on TripAdvisor. We also think we are the best in Venice Beach. Can’t wait to see you again!!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
Venice On The Beach Hotel
Venice On The Beach Hotel
#58 of 351 in Los Angeles
Hilton Garden Inn Los Angeles Marina Del Rey

Been to Hotel Erwin? Share your experiences!