“nice hotel, slightly seedy area”
Review of Hotel Erwin

Hotel Erwin
Ranked #12 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Glasgow,Scotland
“nice hotel, slightly seedy area”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Stayed in a sea view room, good size, clean and comfortable.

Area around hotel slightly seedy at night - but i expect that is just Venice...

walked to Santa Monica Pier..also ate lunch in a nice restaurant in Venice Joe's on Abbott Kinney Blvd.

drank in the rooftop bar - very good but you do need reservations.

last night/morning was spoilt at 6am by a fire alarm, we vacated the room unnecessarily as it turned out...it was a false alarm...staff didn't apologise at the time or when we checked out....very poor customer service!

Dear Donna2,

I would like to apologize that we did not acknowledge the fire alarm when checking out. I agree that was not good customer service; however we appreciate you taking the time to voice your experience here. We will be sure to follow up with the team in case something like this happens again. Please don’t hesitate to contact me directly should you return to Venice Beach.

Rooms Division Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
  • Polish first
New York, NY
Reviewed September 18, 2012

From the moment I booked my reservation on the phone to the time we left, we were treated like VIP's by some of the kindest staff I have ever dealt with in an American hotel. Kind and courteous isn't enough to describe each staff member. When you stay at a "hip" or "trendy" hotel you almost expect to be given the cold shoulder; it's the exact opposite here.

In addition to the staff going above and beyond, the hotel is awesome. The roof deck is incredible and the pictures do not do it justice. The food in Barlo is really good and fairly priced. If you want Venice, look no further because it's the number one location in all of Venice-literally the center of all things Venice.

I will absolutely stay here again and highly recommend it to anyone. The target market is the hipster, younger crowd but it's not overly rowdy and everyone is welcome, from what I saw. I will go out of my way to stay here the next time I'm in Los Angeles even if I'm doing business in another section of town. It's really that good.

Room Tip: The Sunset rooms located on the northside of the building have an awesome view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank jimmyzusa
Dear jimmyzuse,

Sounds like you got the Erwin experience first hand. I will make sure to pass along your comments to the team as I know they will be thrilled to hear it. Thank you so much for writing your review and we can’t wait to see you back at Erwin.

Ohio
Reviewed September 18, 2012

My husband and I recently visited Hotel Erwin for our 6th anniversary, and we had an amazing time. I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting LA, not just Venice Beach. The hotel staff was awesome, and Lisette (Reservation Agent) went above and beyond expectations to make sure we had a wonderful time. She was very knowledgeable of the area and helped us to make reservations with Marina Del Rey Parasailing. She also helped us find a rent-a-car company so that we could go sightseeing throughout the city (downtown LA, Hollywood, Beverly Hills, etc...). She recommended good restaurants, and was all around a Godsend! To make it even better, we told her it was our anniversary when we made our reservations, and when we checked in we were given an Anniversary gift, which was very thoughtful.

The rooms are spacious and clean, and the housekeeping staff was awesome. The view of the beach was amazing from the balcony, and the rooftop lounge was gorgeous and had great drinks. The location of the hotel is ideal, because we were right in the middle of Santa Monica and Marina Del Rey, which was very convenient when we wanted to parasail and go bike riding along the beach.

The only con I have is that the restaurants do not stay open all day. This is very inconvenient during the lunch hours, but there are enough restaurants in the area to hold you over until dinner time.

Overtime, I give Hotel Erwin 5 stars, and I will definitely recommend the hotel to my family and friends in the future.

Dear 616RHitch

Happy Anniversary!!! So glad you choose us for your special moment. We would love to have you back for #7. Thanks!

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Let me start by saying this is the third Joie de Vivre hotel my family has stayed at and we love them all (Hotel del Sol - San Francisco, CA / The Saguaro - Palm Springs, CA / Hotel Erwin - Venice Beach, CA)
Our latest stay at the Hotel Erwin in Venice Beach was awesome. I planned a surprise birthday weekend for my wife down in Venice Beach. The stay was amazing!!! From the time we pulled in to the hotel our Valet (Paul) greeted us with a wonderful smile and made it a point to welcome us to the Hotel Erwin. Good start to the trip!
From our previous stays at the Joie de Vivre establishments, we had a feeling we would have a great stay. But, this was even better!!! At the front desk we were greeted by Ryan, Leah, Ed and Kevin. All introduced themselves and made sure we had everything we needed. Very approachable!!! High points for that!!! I've been to numerous hotels and the front desk staff made it seem like they were doing me a favor. Not here at the Hotel Erwin. Thank you Ryan, Leah, Ed and Kevin. Also, Ryan followed up with a phone call to our room to make sure we were comfortable and to let him know if we needed anything else. Nice touch!
In the early evening, we called the front desk for another bar of soap. Carlos "immediately" ran it up it up to our room. Not having to wait (like I have in many hotels), showed great customer care and service.
The room was clean and the view was incredible. Not surprising since this is a Joie de Vivre establishment.
I wasn't planning on writing a review and really never have. But, the last morning we had breakfast downstairs at Barlo and after that I said I had to write a review.
Barlo - great Bloody Mary and the pancakes are to die for!!! The meal was made all the better from our wonderful and attentive server Courtney. Thanks Courtney for ending our stay at the Hotel Erwin on a wonderful note.
Listen everyone....... I'm just a regular guy that reads reviews but never writes them. If, you're planning on staying anywhere in the area...... STAY HERE at the HOTEL ERWIN.

1 Thank Marvin L
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Stayed at the hotel for a weekend getaway. Was everything we expected and more! The restaurant had a great breakfast menu that was reasonably priced. The hotel was also at a great location just steps away from the beach and Venice Boardwalk. Our room overlooked the beach and our balcony was the perfect place to sit and watch the sunset. Room was spacious and clean. The staff was amazing, great at giving directions and suggestions, and also very accommodating and quick when given requests. We spent two of our evenings at the High bar; the rooftop cocktail lounge atop the hotel. We would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay in Venice!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Brights Grove
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I was travelling with 2 teenaged girls and we had a fabulous experience at Hotel Erwin. The front dest staff was friendly and helpful as were the restaurant/bar staff. They went out of their way to make our stay safe and enjoyable. The room was clean and great; and the toilet/shower and sink area were separated which was very handy. The location was superb ... practically on the boardwalk/beach and near the police station. We walked everywhere! Venice Beach is a very colourful place and it had many highlights including the exciting boardwalk for people watching, shopping, and eating, street performers, murals, and, of course, the beautiful beach which is why we were there. The bikepath looked amazing; although, we did not rent bikes (however, they were readily available). The rooftop bar was the ideal place to watch the spectacular sunsets and stay warm. We did not venture far from the hotel after dark because I was unsure of how safe it would be ... we had planned for that before we arrived, so this was not a negative. The parking was the most expensive we paid while we were in California, but I appreciate that space is at a premium and I new our car would be safe. Overall ... it was a fabulous hotel with fabulous staff and a fabulous location! We will be back!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
melbourne
Reviewed September 14, 2012

We arrived in the morningand were offered to store our luggage while we explored the area. We gladly accepted and returned to collect the luggage six hours later. There had been a staff change and our luggage could not be found. Eventually it was found on a trolley in the car park where it had obviously been all the time. We were exttremely that all pieces were still there and had not been stolen. Our room on sixth floor was lovely, spotlessly clean and with a good view of the beach. The hotel was extremely busy, we were not told about the facilities, and did not know there was a restaurant, the coffee shop was closed. The advertised sun roof bar and pool (where we imagined having a drink and watching the sunset as stated on their web site) had a music party going on. Security staff accosted us several times as we entered the hotel thinking that we were trying to get to this event. Apparently numbers were at capacity and they were not allowing more people up there. People were coming and going from the party making it an impossibly long wait to use the lift to get to our sixth floor room. There were many intoxicated people in the driveway of the hotel, making us feel unsafe to go out after dark. The nosiy party going on over our heads continued until the small hours, with lots of banging doors and scraping chairs etc. We may have been unlucky to stay there when all this was going on, but we would not risk going back in the future. We walked to Santa Monica Pier during the day, it seemed to be a much nicer area and there was plenty of hotel accommodation there.

Room Tip: Sixth floor room had beautiful view, but very noisy from overhead pool deck party
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Santa Monica
Viceroy Santa Monica
Viceroy Santa Monica
#5 of 36 in Santa Monica

Been to Hotel Erwin? Share your experiences!