Hotel Erwin
Best Western Plus Sunset Plaza Hotel(West Hollywood)(Great Value!)
$296
  • Breakfast included
$127
  • Pool
The Westin Los Angeles Airport(Los Angeles)(Great Value!)
$135
$254
Omni Hotels
  • Restaurant
1,432 results
All reviewsrooftop barvenice beachocean viewsanta monicamuscle beachstay in veniceabbot kinneyperfect locationboutique hotelvalet parkingvalet servicebabbobalconyskatehipcaliforniaminibar
Reviewed May 10, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights and found it very disappointing. My husband and I had one of the newly renovated rooms which was very nice, but over priced. We were looking forward to relaxing at the roof top bar, but you have to make a reservation to have a drink! After 3 weeks touring USA this was the only hotel that was a let down.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Annie181
scastady, Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2012

Dear Annie181,

On behalf of the staff here at Hotel Erwin, I wanted to personally apologize that we did not exceed your expectations. We are still some upgrades around the hotel that should be finished up soon. The guest experience will be much different and I want to invite you back once we have completed the work which should be within the next 2 weeks.

At Joie de Vivre we pride ourselves on providing authentic hospitality and superior service and we thank you for choosing Hotel Erwin for your trip to Venice Beach. Should you return to Venice in the future I sincerely hope you will consider giving us the opportunity to show you our dedication and exceed your expectations.

Reviewed May 10, 2012

My friend and I recently stayed one night at Hotel Erwin, and we loved it. After reading reviews about all the construction I was a little hesitant, but I figured we would be there for only one night, so it hopefully wouldn't matter. We must have been lucky to get the room we did, because we didn't see or hear a thing.

Loved the boutique hotel vibe, and loved the style of the rooms. Beds were comfortable, and the room was clean. Sliding glass door (with screen) was great to let some air in. I guess I'm used to some hotels that don't let you open the windows, so this was fantastic. Bathroom was small, but at least it was clean -- that's all I ask! Oh, and we dealt with only the front desk staff, but they were very nice.

Some reviewers mentioned they weren't comfortable in the area around the hotel -- we didn't have that problem at all. Perhaps they didn't realize what Venice Beach is like. Anyone familiar with Venice Beach knows what to expect. And of course there are plenty of restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. But I definitely recommend getting a rental car if you're staying here and hoping to see other places around Los Angeles. The hotel isn't far from the airport, if that's a factor for you.

Overall I loved the location, and loved this boutique hotel. I've stayed at other joie de vivre hotels and wasn't disappointed there either. This will definitely be an option the next time I'm in L.A.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends

Dear atljs,

On behalf of the staff here at Hotel Erwin, I wanted to personally thank you for sharing your experience here with everyone on TripAdvisor. I am so happy you made your one night in Venice count. We appreciate the kind words and will make sure to pass them along to the staff.

Reviewed May 8, 2012

Having lived in LA previously I was keen to reconnect with the old neighbourhood. Hotel Erwin was a great choice on many levels - location, funky rooms and the fab rooftop bar. Renovations still in progress but were no issue. Staff were great. Only one minor issue was length of time it took for my room to be cleaned...but all in all a great hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo

Dear JacquiBrowne,

On behalf of the staff here at Hotel Erwin, I wanted to personally thank you for sharing your experience here with everyone on TripAdvisor. I am so happy you felt back at home when you were with us. I am sure many things have changed here over the years. I will make sure to share you comments about the timeliness room being cleaned with our housekeeping department.

Reviewed May 7, 2012

Okay, so I got a good feel about this place even before my wife and I arrived in LA. I called up the hotel to see if they could recommend a tour of the Hollywood sites as there were too many with varied reviews to choose from. The girl who answered my call was called "Lisette" and she was extremely helpful on the phone. She recommended a good tour company who they normally direct people to and we booked it (the tour was good by the way!). After that she asked me some questions about myself including my favourite drink and magazines. I had thought this was for market research purposes only. However, when my wife and I arrived, we found a bag with some bottles of my favourite drink and some magazines for my wife and a note to wish us a a very pleasant and special stay in Hotel Erwin, addressed from Lisette. I have never been to a hotel that did this. Great!

The room was well presented, clean and spacious with two large beds in it. There was a flat screen TV and a minbar. The only negatives were the absence of a safe box and the colour of the walls in the bathroom was yellow and a bit old looking. I was more concerned about the safe box issue and so when I brought this up with the desk downstairs, they were only too happy to move us to another room, which as it turns out, was an upgrade to a room with a partial view of the ocean. Thank you once again Hotel Erwin! Our new room was even better!

You'll read some reviews about disruption from the construction going on. The staff at the desk did inform us of this before we went up and were concerned to ask us the next days if we were having any problems with it. As I write this, I see some reviews which malign this hotel for the construction issue. I'm not sure why they just didn't ask for another room as it was clearly not an issue to get moved. As it is, my wife and I, who were celebrating our anniversary had no issues in regard to the noise etc. but if we had had any, I know they would have been sympathetic to us and did their best to address them.

My wife and I asked to speak to Lisette (who I gather doesn't normally get to meet the guests who come) to say thanks for her kind thoughts and gifts. We stood and spoke for some thing like 45mins which was well past the end of her shift and throughout was further helpful in helping us decide upon some activities as our plans had been a bit messed up by the unusually poor weather. At this stage, I also want to give a big shout out to Aaron and Amed who were totally friendly and helpful and up for a laugh/joke etc too.

The bar on the top would be nice to be at when the weather is better. It was just cold and blowy due to circumstances well beyond the hotels control when I was staying here. They did address this issue with heaters and blankets.

The hotel has a restaurant attached directly and they gave us some discount at the desk to go to it. As I remember it wasn't too expensive and the discount did help.

I used the gym a few times. It isn't that big but suited my own use. It has a treadmill and weights bench and a television for watching whilst one exercises.

Computer facilities with printing are available for a small cost. No issues with them.

Overall, my wife and I had a great time here and could recommend it to anybody!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Medixine

Dear Medixine,

On behalf of the staff here at Hotel Erwin, I wanted to personally thank you for sharing your experience here with everyone on TripAdvisor. I am so happy to hear all of the great things Lisette did to make your stay wonderful. We hope that this experience will make you a loyal customer of Hotel Erwin.

Reviewed May 1, 2012

This hotel is currently doing renovations. I called the hotel ahead of time and asked about this. They said the work is all done during business hours, and away from where guests are staying, etc. When we checked in, I asked for a quiet room, away from any construction and thought we would get a decent room.

The next two mornings we were awakened by hammers and drills before 9am that went on until after 5pm. The second morning was even a weekend - Saturday - so definitely not "business hours". They worked on rooms all over the hall we were on - rooms next to us, across the hall, etc. It was incredibly loud and construction guys were walking around. We tried to stay out of the room as much as possible since it was so loud and stressful.

We spent over $800 here, and it was awful - the noise of drilling and tearing up rooms was very loud. We were celebrating our wedding anniversary and in town for a concert, so we hoped it would be a nice place to stay. I would not stay here again and wrote this just to warn anyone who is thinking of booking during this construction period.

Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank kennedycara

Dear Kennedycara,

On behalf of the staff here at Hotel Erwin, I wanted to thank you for sharing you experience here on Trip Advisor. I was disappointed to hear that we did not meet your expectations. I can assure you I will follow up with the management team here at Erwin and address your comments.

We are currently under a renovation and doing a full re-fresh in all the public areas and also in the guest rooms. We expect this to be complete sometime at the end of May. Should you choose to return once this is complete, please contact myself directly so I can assist you.