“Classy gem in Venice Beach” 4 of 5 bubbles

Hotel Erwin
Ranked #10 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersBronze level
Hamilton, Canada
“Classy gem in Venice Beach”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2012

A very classy hotel just steps from the freak show of the Venice Beach strip. We were upgraded to a suite which was fantastically huge, modern, and comfortable. The rooftop bar is fabulous and affords great views. We ate breakfast at the hotel restaurant and it was delicious. I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms with view/partial view of the beach. Higher rooms are best although you don't wan...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Dear Martamom,

The hotel staff was pleased to hear the positive feedback you had about the hotel and I am glad to see you enjoyed your suite. I am happy to hear you ate at Barlo, I make it a point to eat there at least once a week becuase the food is so amazing.

At Joie de Vivre we pride ourselves on providing authentic hospitality and superior service and we thank you for choosing Hotel Erwin for your trip to Venice Beach. Should you return to Venice in the future I sincerely hope you will consider giving us the opportunity to show you our dedication to our guests and service.

Rooms Division Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Polish first
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2012

I had a fabulous happy hour work event at Hotel Erwin’s High. We had an amazing view of all Venice, and great drinks. With the excellent help of the sales team, and Mina specifically, the event was a huge success.

Dear Jenn_M3112,

On behalf of the staff at Hotel Erwin and High Rooftop Lounge, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our property.

The hotel staff was pleased to hear the positive feedback you had about the hotel and I am glad to see you enjoyed the High Rooftop louugne as well. The view from the rooftop is the best part of my day.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2012

I love this place! Hotel Erwin is right in the heart of Venice beach, making it such a fun & unique location. I've been here quite a few times during the Venice art crawl, and recently planned a work get-together at their rooftop lounge. If you are looking to throw a party/event, ask for Mina, the sales/events coordinator. She is super friendly & extremely helpful. The rooftop food was amazing (the sliders & the quesadillas rocked my world). I will definitely be back.

Dear LadyWestside329,

The hotel staff was pleased to hear the positive feedback you had about the hotel and I am glad to see you enjoyed the High Rooftop louugne as well. We really appreciate the fact that you shared your positive experience with us and everyone else. I agree, the Sliders and Quesadilla's rock my world as well.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2012

Hotel has great restaurant and rooftop bar which attracts visitors from afar. You can see for miles and great for sunsets.

Only thing for us which was strange was the room decor but this did not detract from our stay and maybe fits the theme of Venice Beach as it is a weird experience overall.

We had a great stay and reception staff were great and very helpful if you needed anything.

Very interesting visit and everyone should have a couple of nights here just to people watch. Beachside restaurants great and very good value.

• Stayed February 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
scastady, Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this review, February 23, 2012
Dear SueH9,

On behalf of the staff at Hotel Erwin, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our property. You are correct, the decor of the hotel is inspired by the surrounding area here in Venice.

The hotel staff was pleased to hear the positive feedback you had about them. I will make sure to pass along the comments. I am happy to hear you enjoyed our High Rooftop Lounge and the local area. I love to take my lunch break and people watch out on the boardwalk.

Bangor, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2012

Quite a funky hotel to stay in,we were upgraded to a suite which has a kitchen in it which gave extra space.The highlight was the rooftop lounge which has 360 views over Los Angeles a brilliant spot to sit and watch the amazing Californian sunsets from while drinking a watermelon margarita.The hotel staff were so helpful especially Eugene at the desk and Chip .I wish that there had been more areas to sit inside the hotel,the bar/restaurant was small,and I was not very keen on the area,but a very popular hotel not maybe suitable for families with children

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
scastady, Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this review, February 22, 2012
Dear f00dmama,

The hotel staff was pleased to hear the positive feedback you had about them. I will make sure to pass along the comments to Chip and Eugene. I am happy to hear you enjoyed our High Rooftop Lounge. You are right, the view from up there is amazing, best part of my day.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2012

Stayed here for the first three nights of our two week road trip in August 2011. The hotel is located right on Venice Beach, which although I'm a fan of, it might be considered a little rough around the edges for some.

Regardless you can't argue with the location, as it's right next to the beach and promenade. You are able to get beach towels for free from reception. It's worth exploring the area away from the beach such as the shops on Abbot Kinney or the Venice canals which shows there is a lot more to the area then you would first imagine.

The hotel itself is modern and our room was much larger than I expected with views over the ocean as well as inland. There's free wifi and HD content on the TV's which is nice. Parking's not cheap at the hotel but it is pretty easy to park in the area if you're willing to walk for a few minutes. Just be mindful of the parking restrictions which fall on different days based on when they're cleaning the street.

There's a trendy rooftop hotel bar which was really nice with some great views, as you'd imagine. The only downside is that it seemed to be a destination in itself with complete with an achingly hip crowd and door control. At times we did feel like outsiders in our own hotel.

All in all, if you're planning to stay in Venice then this is definitely recommended.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Baydr
scastady, Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this review, February 14, 2012
Dear Baydr

The hotel staff was pleased to hear the positive feedback you had about them and I am glad to see you enjoyed the area around the hotel as well. We really appreciate the fact that you shared your positive experience with us and everyone else. We do reccomend reservations at High as its very popular destination for many people. Please contact myself directly should you decide to return and I will make sure to have a reservation for you at High.

somoma, ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2012

I travel a lot! So I had to share this gem in Venice Beach. Hotel Erwin has one of the sweetest roof bars, blankets are provided if there's a chill and the drinks are classically made, some with an updated twist. My room was cozy with a very comfortable bed, a roomy bathroom was smartly designed with a fantastic sink and superb showerhead. My room overlooked the beach where I could sit outside and drink my morning coffee, or dine at a little table for two set in the room. Attention to detail was certainly on the minds of those that revitalized this historic hotel. Loved all the Larry Bell watercolours scattered throughout the hotel.

1 Thank frieda g

Santa Monica
Oceana Beach Club Hotel
Oceana Beach Club Hotel
#1 of 36 in Santa Monica

Been to Hotel Erwin? Share your experiences!