“Great hotel, great location, great customer service!”
Review of Hotel Erwin

Hotel Erwin
Ranked #11 of 350 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles, California
“Great hotel, great location, great customer service!”
Reviewed February 22, 2012

I love this place! Hotel Erwin is right in the heart of Venice beach, making it such a fun & unique location. I've been here quite a few times during the Venice art crawl, and recently planned a work get-together at their rooftop lounge. If you are looking to throw a party/event, ask for Mina, the sales/events coordinator. She is super friendly & extremely helpful. The rooftop food was amazing (the sliders & the quesadillas rocked my world). I will definitely be back.

scastady, Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this review, March 2, 2012
Dear LadyWestside329,

On behalf of the staff at Hotel Erwin and High Rooftop Lounge, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our property.

The hotel staff was pleased to hear the positive feedback you had about the hotel and I am glad to see you enjoyed the High Rooftop louugne as well. We really appreciate the fact that you shared your positive experience with us and everyone else. I agree, the Sliders and Quesadilla's rock my world as well.

At Joie de Vivre we pride ourselves on providing authentic hospitality and superior service and we thank you for choosing Hotel Erwin for your trip to Venice Beach. Should you return to Venice in the future I sincerely hope you will consider giving us the opportunity to show you our dedication to our guests and service.

Rooms Division Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
  • Polish first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 21, 2012

Hotel has great restaurant and rooftop bar which attracts visitors from afar. You can see for miles and great for sunsets.

Only thing for us which was strange was the room decor but this did not detract from our stay and maybe fits the theme of Venice Beach as it is a weird experience overall.

We had a great stay and reception staff were great and very helpful if you needed anything.

Very interesting visit and everyone should have a couple of nights here just to people watch. Beachside restaurants great and very good value.

• Stayed February 2012
scastady, Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this review, February 23, 2012
Dear SueH9,

On behalf of the staff at Hotel Erwin, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our property. You are correct, the decor of the hotel is inspired by the surrounding area here in Venice.

The hotel staff was pleased to hear the positive feedback you had about them. I will make sure to pass along the comments. I am happy to hear you enjoyed our High Rooftop Lounge and the local area. I love to take my lunch break and people watch out on the boardwalk.

Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 21, 2012

Quite a funky hotel to stay in,we were upgraded to a suite which has a kitchen in it which gave extra space.The highlight was the rooftop lounge which has 360 views over Los Angeles a brilliant spot to sit and watch the amazing Californian sunsets from while drinking a watermelon margarita.The hotel staff were so helpful especially Eugene at the desk and Chip .I wish that there had been more areas to sit inside the hotel,the bar/restaurant was small,and I was not very keen on the area,but a very popular hotel not maybe suitable for families with children

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
scastady, Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this review, February 22, 2012
Dear f00dmama,

The hotel staff was pleased to hear the positive feedback you had about them. I will make sure to pass along the comments to Chip and Eugene. I am happy to hear you enjoyed our High Rooftop Lounge. You are right, the view from up there is amazing, best part of my day.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 13, 2012

Stayed here for the first three nights of our two week road trip in August 2011. The hotel is located right on Venice Beach, which although I'm a fan of, it might be considered a little rough around the edges for some.

Regardless you can't argue with the location, as it's right next to the beach and promenade. You are able to get beach towels for free from reception. It's worth exploring the area away from the beach such as the shops on Abbot Kinney or the Venice canals which shows there is a lot more to the area then you would first imagine.

The hotel itself is modern and our room was much larger than I expected with views over the ocean as well as inland. There's free wifi and HD content on the TV's which is nice. Parking's not cheap at the hotel but it is pretty easy to park in the area if you're willing to walk for a few minutes. Just be mindful of the parking restrictions which fall on different days based on when they're cleaning the street.

There's a trendy rooftop hotel bar which was really nice with some great views, as you'd imagine. The only downside is that it seemed to be a destination in itself with complete with an achingly hip crowd and door control. At times we did feel like outsiders in our own hotel.

All in all, if you're planning to stay in Venice then this is definitely recommended.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Baydr Y
scastady, Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this review, February 14, 2012
Dear Baydr

The hotel staff was pleased to hear the positive feedback you had about them and I am glad to see you enjoyed the area around the hotel as well. We really appreciate the fact that you shared your positive experience with us and everyone else. We do reccomend reservations at High as its very popular destination for many people. Please contact myself directly should you decide to return and I will make sure to have a reservation for you at High.

somoma, ca
Reviewed February 7, 2012

I travel a lot! So I had to share this gem in Venice Beach. Hotel Erwin has one of the sweetest roof bars, blankets are provided if there's a chill and the drinks are classically made, some with an updated twist. My room was cozy with a very comfortable bed, a roomy bathroom was smartly designed with a fantastic sink and superb showerhead. My room overlooked the beach where I could sit outside and drink my morning coffee, or dine at a little table for two set in the room. Attention to detail was certainly on the minds of those that revitalized this historic hotel. Loved all the Larry Bell watercolours scattered throughout the hotel.

1 Thank frieda g
scastady, Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this review, February 14, 2012
Dear frieda g,

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed February 6, 2012

We spent 2 nights at the Erwin Joie de vivre. The hotel is well situated near the beach. Upon our arrival, we were told that they had upgraded us. We had partial view of the ocean which was actually nice. The room was very nice and modern looking, on the 6th floor! The restaurant downstairs was very good. The only thing is that being on the 6th floor, just below the rooftop bar, the music was pounding and being on jetlag, we were very tired and couldn't sleep so we asked to be moved to a lower floor and just to have quality sleep we went on the 3rd floor, no view of the ocean and the room seemed like it hadn't been renovated but it was more important for us to sleep! The staff was helpful, the hotel well situated for the beach and the canals. So the overall experience was very good!

1 Thank KAOSMUA
scastady, Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this review, February 7, 2012
Dear KAOSMUA,

I wanted to apologize for the noise coming form the bar. We are currently looking at additional soundproofing to prevent noise from the music at High Rooftop. I am pleased to hear that the staff was able to accomadate you so you were able to get a good night sleep.

Warm Regards,
Oceanside, California
Reviewed February 5, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at Hotel Erwin in Venice Beach. They are in a prime location for exploring Venice Beach. Nice, clean, and spacious rooms. Valet parking was quick and convenient. We had a kitchenette, which was awesome. The bed was comfortable. The location of our room was a little noisy with street traffic. Overall a great experience!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
scastady, Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this review, February 7, 2012
Dear AliMD22,

We really appreciate the fact that you shared your positive experience with us and everyone else. it seems like you had on of our suites, which is a great way to experience the hotel. Please keep us in mind on your next visit to Venice Beach.

Warm Regards,
#6 of 36 in Santa Monica
Ocean View Hotel
Ocean View Hotel
#9 of 36 in Santa Monica

Been to Hotel Erwin? Share your experiences!