“Made our stay perfect!”

Hotel Erwin
Ranked #11 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 20, 2011

My wife booked several nights for my birthday during a visit from Boston. I enjoy unique hotels and they certainly delivered. The staff were great, from reservations, to valet to front desk, helping us navigate our way around the nearby beach and enjoy all that Venice has to offer. The suite was fantastic, from the extra room we needed after traveling all day in the car to the decorative touches that made this birthday distinct. The art throughout and the rooftop bar was so much fun! We definitely would recommend others to travel and stay!

Room Tip: Call and speak to the staff directly. They are very accommodating!
1  Thank B A
scastady, Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2011

Dear BA,

On behalf of the staff at Hotel Erwin, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our property.

The hotel staff was pleased to hear the positive feedback you had about them and I am glad to see you enjoyed the area around the hotel as well. We really appreciate the fact that you shared your positive experience with us and everyone else.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Erwin

Reviewed November 20, 2011

We stayed here for one night for the first time and it exceeded our expectations. Wonderful staff, great size room, very comfortable mattress, nice TV, hot water, it was a great hotel. We went to Venice to play paddle tennis and the the courts were so close. Parking was $20 for 24 hours across the street. The hotel was very quiet at night.

Room Tip: I always ask for the quietest room and the one that has been remodeled the most recently.

Dear costaricaconnections.

Reviewed November 19, 2011

The Hotel Erwin is a great place to stay. It is just a little let down by it's surroundings. I do admit our visit was 'out of season' April, but side streets, and general area, were a little run down. We didn't feel comfortable venturing out at night, but the Erwin has a great alternative - the roof top bar 'High'. It is very cool, and has amazing views (especially at night) across LA. The room's were good, and we had a free upgrade for one of them (for a Facebook 'like!) to a suite, really nice to have dinning table, settee, and kitchenette, in a good size room. Our breakfast in 'Eat', was ok, but was served warm, not hot. Service at the desk was great, in addition to the response's from my 'online' questions, prior to our visit. I would recommend a stay at the Erwin (for great access to Venice Beach), they do know how to look after you.

Room Tip: 'Like' Erwin's Facebook page, for a chance of a free upgrade!
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Dorset4Ever

Dear Dorset4Ever,

Reviewed November 10, 2011

I have stayed at this place in November for just one night. The hotel is very trendy and in the heart of Venice beach, near the beach, close to abbot kinney blv. as well. The front desk staff is very very polite and helpfull. the rooms are clean and very big. As a tip, if you have a car try the parking area opposite the hotel since it is much cheaper as compraed to the hotel's parking. Please keep in mind that Venice ibeach is very different and bohemian as compared to the popular santa monica area.

Room Tip: I have stayed in the corner rooms which is really big but no ocean view. There are rooms with ocean...

Dear GZMOA,

Reviewed November 1, 2011

We arrived at Hotel Erwin after a long drive from Las Vegas and were met by really friendly valet and reception staff. We had booked a city view room but were given a partial ocean view room which had a fantastic lounge, kitchen area, bedroom and bathroom, it couldn’t have been better. We went to the rooftop bar most evenings to watch the sunset, fantastic atmosphere and great choice of drinks. If we went early evening they tried to get us seats before people arrived for their reservations. We ate in the hotel restaurant on the first night and although the portions were a little small the food couldn’t be faulted.

The hotel is perfectly situated for getting around. We loved Venice beach, it’s so interesting with loads to see. We actually missed all the goings on when we got to Santa Monica! It only took about half an hour to walk to Santa Monica and it’s such a nice walk along the seafront. We also walked to the Marina and around the Canals which is worth doing.

There are plenty of places to eat near the hotel, it’s only a short walk to Abbot Kinney Boulevard which had lots of places to choose from, the walk there is through some fairly unlit side roads but we felt perfectly safe. We also went to Larry’s Bar (right by the hotel) and James Beach (about a 5 minute walk away up Pacific Avenue), both of which had fantastic food.

Apparently every 3rd Thursday there is an arts festival around Venice Beach and the hotel gets involved. We arrived back to arts and crafts stands, bars and a DJ in the driveway of the hotel, and across the road there were more stalls. It was such an amazing atmosphere and great to see the hotel getting involved in the local community.

Valet parking was really quick, we didn’t have to wait longer than a couple of minutes. The hotel is in great location to get to the freeways quickly, we found it easy to get to the Warner Brother Studio, Griffith Observatory, Hollywood, Rodeo Drive and Downtown, and we also drove down to San Diego for the day which only took 2 hours (make use of the car pool lanes if you can, makes life much easier!). The hotel is also only a 10 min drive to the airport along one main road (Lincoln Boulevard).

Having read reviews I wasn’t sure whether I’d like Venice Beach but I absolutely loved it, and Hotel Erwin was the perfect hotel to enjoy it.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jules081
scastady, Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2011

Dear Jules081,

Reviewed October 31, 2011

This was my second stay at the Erwin. I appreciate the location and the security in the hotel. It is at the end of the Venice strip so a quiet location at night. I love the rooftop bar/restaurant to watch the sunsets over the ocean. Rooms are OK and bathroom has little privacy with a sliding glass door, but overall a good value for Venice Beach.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Amazinggrace507

Dear Amazinggrace507,

The hotel staff was pleased to hear the positive feedback you had about the hotel. At Joie de Vivre we pride ourselves on providing authentic hospitality and superior service and we thank you for choosing Hotel Erwin for your trip to Venice Beach. Should you return to Venice in the future I sincerely hope you will consider giving us the opportunity to show you our dedication to our guests and service.

Reviewed October 31, 2011

My second time staying at Erwin and it just keeps getting better! I love Venice and the Erwin is the perfect hotel in the best location with an amazing restaurant and fantastic views. Walking distance to everything. Jairo was extremely helpful with my reservation but the entire staff is excellent and helpful.

Room Tip: Ocean views are excellent
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business

#10 of 36 in Santa Monica
Casa del Mar
Casa del Mar
#3 of 36 in Santa Monica

Been to Hotel Erwin? Share your experiences!