“You pay for the cool. The smell is free.”
Review of Hotel Erwin

Ranked #11 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 10, 2011

It's a hip place, no doubt. Room smelled old and musty. Restaurant was good, but like everything else pricey. The fitness center is a closet with a treadmill and tv.

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank chicubs7799
Benjamin_Malmquist, General Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2011

Dear Chicubs7799,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review sharing your experience with other travelers looking for a unique boutique hotel experience. We really appreciated hearing your positive comments about Barlo Restaurant and Hotel Erwin. We agree that this hotel offers a memorable experience in addition to our fantastic beach location.

In addition, thank you for letting us know that there was an unpleasant odor in your room. I have reviewed this comment with our housekeeping team and we have introduced a new room deodorizer as a direct result of your feedback.

At Joie de Vivre Hospitality, we pride ourselves in providing unique hospitality experiences and superior service. We look forward to having you stay with us during your next visit to sunny Venice Beach.

Warm Regards,

Benjamin Malmquist

Reviewed August 10, 2011

Upon your arrival at the front desk you will see a web cam view of the beach just beyond the hotel (it is very enticing- I found myself going into "de-stress" mode the moment I saw it). The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room we stayed in was immaculate - a very important consideration for me in any place I select while traveling. The bathroom was huge and the hot water plentiful (also a very important consideration for me). The bed was uber-comfortable (seriously, if the beach wasn't so enticing you might want to stay in for a bit )-- the view from the balcony was magnificent but not to be outdone by the view on the rooftop bar. I understand that this is THE place to be as the sun sets-- there are heated lamps (which are very welcome as Venice Beach nights can be quite chilly) and there is something a bit magical up there with the music playing - the people watching and the sun setting.

A few tips for travelers to Venice Beach and beyond:
the hotel does offer in-room service and has a restaurant right on the premises but we chose to wander about and explore the neighborhood. If you head right and make a left on Washington Street, there is a neat breakfast place to hang out in where it seems all the locals go to (I think it's called the Cow Barn or something like that)- reasonably priced and healthy. We strolled down Venice Beach (which is easy in the early morning and much more congested and lively mid-day). Santa Monica beach and pier has a totally different feel and ambiance-- both are definitely worth doing-- after the Santa Monica Pier (which has a carousel ) stride east to the Promenade which is a car-less place to roam and shop-- you can then head south to a unique outdoor mall which has a place my daughter insisted that we visit- a self-serve frozen yogurt place (glad we followed her advice; this place is amazing!). Following further south on Main, there are interesting boutiques to window shop. There was a great place to have dinner on Main- (sorry, forgot the name) that offers an incredible number of draft ales and beer and great food.

Room Tip: A room as close to the beach as possible to get the best balcony view
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 9, 2011

I just had my birthday one the rooftop of Hotel Erwin and I can't say enough about the venue and overall experience. I worked with the events team, who were just amazing, to put together a party for 15 friends. The catering was wonderful, the hotel put together a specialty cocktail for my group that was delicious!
If you haven't been to the rooftop, it's a must-see. From the outside of the hotel, you would never know what a gem sits on top, with the most breathtaking views of the ocean both to the east bay and Santa Monica, and Pacific Palisades. Definitely recommend the Erwin for any events.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank kristinalevsky
Reviewed August 8, 2011

The incredible location is just the beginning, from the moment you enter the staff at this chic boutique hotel makes you feel at home.

Super-close to the Venice Boardwalk it was easy to rent a bike and ride to Santa Monica. The Hotel Erwin is close to amazing dining in Venice, Santa Monica and Marina Del Ray. A really perfect spot to enjoy some of the best of So. California.

Check-in was quick and easy and the suite I stayed in was very comfortable and well-appointed. The wet bar was complete with dishes and silverware and I loved the sunglasse honor bar offering!

The pillows and bedding were incredible and made for a very good night's sleep. The large and fluffy towels were the only thing that could have lured me out of the shower. Great rain shower head and perfect water pressure.

Each room has it's own balcony with seating - but for a night out the rooftop lounge, HIGH was a great place to grab handcrafted cocktail and mingle with tourists and locals alike. One one particiular evening in addition to the heaters we were offered blankets to make our expeirence more enjoyable.

It seems that no attention detail was omitted at Hotel Erwin. I have found "my" place in Venice Beach!

Room Tip: If you sleep in you might want to stay away from full-ocean view rooms, as they face the boardwalk j...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank KarinAmbrose
Reviewed August 7, 2011

Opted to stay here instead of Santa Monica for a work event this past week. Such a great value, just a 5 min drive or pleasant walk to SM but also near Main St, Abbot Kinney, right on the water, and on a great corner in Venice with amazing empanadas, vegan options, vintage stores and coffee. The staff was very accomodating, the rate for the space we received was a deal and I slept like a baby. Lots of excitement outside but couldn't hear a word of it. I'll be back for sure, the other options nearby are either way over priced or without the character.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank MollieBCasey
Reviewed August 6, 2011

The hotel staff were kind and provided us good service. Upon entering our room, I discovered that the bathtub was filthy. Moreover, there was a silverfish crawling around inside. The occurrence of one silverfish indicates an infestation in the building as they never exist alone to be found in one room of a busy hotel. I informed the hotel staff. They were aghast as they had apparently never received such a complaint before. I believe this could be due to the fact that most clientele generally ignore it as a small bug like a spider.

However, being quite familiar with silver fish (I have had to deal with an infestation in an old apartment building in my younger days), I knew that one silverfish is a warning that there are more in the building.
The carpet in the floors is also grungy and stained. The quality of this hotel is just slightly better than a motel perhaps.

For all these reasons, I left the building to go to the Marriott in Marina Del Rey which is a better hotel and has quality and cleanliness for the same price range.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank LaraCroft1000

Dear LaraCroft1000,

Please accept my apologies for your recent visit to the Hotel Erwin. After reading your review, we immediately dispatched a pest control technician who completed a thorough investigation of the entire building. Rest assured, there was no evidence of silverfish or any other pests found. If you would like to receive a copy of this report, please contact me and I would be happy to share it with you.

I am very sorry that you were disappointed with your experience at the Hotel Erwin. At Joie de Vivre Hospitality, we pride ourselves in providing unique hospitality experiences and superior service. I would like to invite you back to be my guest at the Hotel Erwin. I am certain that you will experience this high level of service during your next visit with us. Please contact me at your earliest convenience to make the arrangements. We hope that you would consider staying with us again for your next visit to sunny Venice Beach.

Warm Regards,

Benjamin Malmquist

Reviewed August 6, 2011

The room had a nice view of Santa Monica....but room too small for price ...the bar on the top of the roof called HIGH was loud at times ...and the drinks were 12.50 for a whiye russian....BAR VERY LAME

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Venice
The Kinney
The Kinney
#2 of 11 in Marina del Rey

Been to Hotel Erwin? Share your experiences!