“Suprisingly Bad Food”
Review of Katsuya

Katsuya
Reserve with OpenTable
Katsuya is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #70 of 10,192 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Hollywood
Cross street: Vine St.
Reviewed December 31, 2013

I ordered a $75 Sampler menu. The hot items were cold. The rice was hard. It was surprisingly an icky meal.

My experience at the Downtown Katsuya has been ten times better. Maybe Katsuya Hollywood would have MORE customers if they got ride of that "Elite Night Club" mentality during their budget friendly lunch service. I really didn't appreciate bringing my elderly mother to an empty restaurant and being seated by the kitchen door between two tables full of families with small squealing children. We moved ourselves to a more comfortable table. Our waiter was superb even though the food and the hostess service was subpar.

Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

I had been to the Katsuya in Miami. This one is similar, but in a slightly inferior setting. But i thought the food was outstanding. We ordered several appetizers (Brussels sprouts are great) and several entrees (many types of sushi) and there were zero complaints. The steak was also surprisingly good. Would definitely return.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

TripAdvisor asks: Is this one of the best meals you've ever had in a restaurant?

I went to Katsuya on Christmas eve, expecting a set menu instead of a la carte since it seems like all restaurants are doing that on holidays. I'm a person that hates set menus because it limits on what food I get to eat.

Surprisingly, Katsuya was serving an a la carte menu. Valet parking was $10 right outside the restaurant. I was promptly greeted by the waitress and seated immediately.

I ordered a Vegetable Tempura, California Roll, and Wagyu Tobanyaki. My father, on the other hand, ordered a Japanese Prix Fixe menu, with salmon as the entree, and mochi ice cream as the dessert.

Food was served promptly and tasted absolutely delicious. My father claimed that his salmon entree was the best one he's ever tasted throughout his life. The waitress was friendly, made suggestions to the menu, and never went out of our sight during the dinner.

Sake was a bit pricey though (since when is it not in restaurants?), I usually drink Dassai 23, which retails in liquor stores about 90 bucks USD. Katsuya was offering it around $190 USD.

Highly recommended.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

We went to Katsuya for dinner prior to a play at Pantages. We were quite late due to terrible traffic. The restaurant was extremely understanding, both about our late arrival and our tiem crunch. We had a great dinner with the famous Crispy Rice with Spicy Tuna, Crispy Brussel Sprouts, Halibut-Wrapped Crab and Avocado. All were excellent, paired off with a nice glass of Rodney Strong Pinot

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Katsuya has always been a great place to go and eat an excellent meal. The sushi is fresh and the staff is attentive and helpful. There is really nothing unique about this spot, but that's the gem. It's predictably good and reservations are not difficult to secure. Well done, Katsuya!