“INCREDIBLE!!!”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Westside
Reviewed July 9, 2013

If you want authentic, inspiring and delicious sushi, Sushi Zo is the place. It isn't about anything other than the fantastic sushi they serve. This is the way it is in Japan, no joking around with the chef, this is a place where the chef (artist) is creating his masterpiece and you are lucky to be along for the ride. Price is worth every penny. You wouldn't pay $50 for a Picasso.

Reviewed November 27, 2012

Dont know about the michelin Star, But it sure one of the best sushi i ever had.
Came in for an early Lunch (12:30 PM).
Small nice place, very quiet and calm, only one host (who's the only waitress as well).
I asked her about the price, she told me it is only omakase and it can be from 100$-150&.
Although The Price i entered the place (wanted to have a true sushi omakase-michelin star experience), I also asked the waitress to notice me when i'm about to reach the 80$-100$.
Seating in the bar all enthusiastic, waiting to start the journey haha... I got japanese tea, & miso soup (very small, but good).
Infront of me: Chopsticks, ginger & soy sauce (to be used only when the chef ask you to).
The chef asked for my likes & dislikes, and we are on the way!!
Started with great Tuna Sashimi (4Pcs), and continued with more different sushi pieces (15 Pcs), I got only 1 sushi that was not fish. it was scallop (fantastic). I hoped to get some more unique things. Late i got one piece of monkfish liver, for me it was quite special.
Then the chef told me im about the 100$. so I ask to stop and see the bill.
It was only about 64, so i asked for more. Got one more fish sushi and one blue crab hand roll - Wow!! Yumm!!
That Time I was Fully stuffed and asked for the check.
All of the fish were very fresh, the rice was warm and tasty but not sticky enough and some pieces lost some rice on the way to my mouth. As Wasabi Fan I Was afraid that the sushi will be not spicy enough, I was very surprised to find out that it was perfectly treated with seasoning!
With the check I got small glass of Yuzu juice (one of the meal highlights, very very good) a perfect way to end this lunch.
I paid 95$ (including tax&tip) for miso soup, 4 pcs sashimi, 15 pcs sushi, 1 hand roll & yuzu juice. not so bad because of the freshness of the fish, but still alot of money, Dont know how much it worth 100$.
Nice experience, hoped for a much more special experience.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

I have been to many a sushi joint in LA and this one is the real deal. I wanted an authentic dining experience- no spicy tuna rolls no California rolls just sushi as presented in Japan. Only omakase and boy is it AMAZING. Located in a completely non descript strip mall near west LA this place is a real hidden treasure. Go if you want the real deal and sit at sushi bar for the full experience. not fancy not a scene worth your time

1  Thank RobKNewYork
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Shameful to see one-star reviews from those who'd be more suited for a conveyor belt chain restaurant. This is the very best in traditional omakase that LA has to offer and the closest it comes to a real taste of Japan. I'm not a fan of sea urchin normally but here I was forced to change my opinion - my hat off to the chef!

3  Thank Xiao C
Reviewed September 6, 2012

An amazing omakase experience. Be sure to starve yourself before going or else you'll never fit all that fresh sushi into your stomach. I lived in Japan for four years and this could very well have been at one of the best places for sushi over there (minus the strip mall atmosphere)!

1  Thank chickendip