“A Pleasant Surprise”

Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Edgecliff
Transit: The number 2 and 4 bus lines stop at the corner of Sunset and Maltman.
Reviewed August 5, 2014

We were headed to a Chinese restaurant in Silver Lake that was closed. So we went across the street and got a pleasant surprise. Food was lovely, and sitting in their colorful, funky courtyard was fun.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

It was a little chilly so we decided to sit inside the empty restaurant, which was a real shame as the outside garden patio is what truly makes this restaurant something special.

We sat at the back of the main dining room facing the long bar. The space is urban chic with dim gothic lighting, wooden tables and walls, wicker chairs and a casual, cool air. In one corner they had a movie being projected onto the wall and quiet music playing in the background.

First and foremost, our waiter(ess) was absolutely lovely, attentive and thoughtful throughout the whole evening. I ordered a bottle of the Duckhorn Sauvignon Blanc, one of my favorites and she immediately shared the idea of another bottle similar in taste, which was much cheaper and part of a happy hour special. I tasted it and while I did like it we still opted for the Duckhorn for the three of us.

We chatted for quite a while as a few more customers were seated around us and talked for a long time about what we were going to order. The menu is eclectic, rustic and mouthwatering. To start we ordered the fresh, warm and salted Parker House Rolls, which we all slathered with creamy butter.

We each picked an appetizer for the table to share. A creamy rich Chicken Liver Terrine spread onto crispy bread, actually even better on Parker House rolls perfected by the addition of grainy biting mustard.

Potato fritters, crispy on the outside, gooey cheese on the inside rolled in a lightly critused aioli.

With choices of Lobster, Ocean Trout, Pheasant and Suckling Pig, deciding on our mains was tough.

Both Bill and I settled on the Ocean Trout, which I had never tried before. Upon arrival we did both stare at it a little, smile and say “this is salmon.” It was pink, looked like salmon, tasted like salmon so we asked our waiter. She agreed, it looked like salmon and brought it back to the chef. She spoke to the chef and came back saying it does look like salmon but it is in fact Ocean Trout. We did secretly go online just to confirm and yes indeed it looks exactly like salmon Wink. That all said, this dish is wonderful. A lighter tasting, beautifully mild fish with a crispy, salty skin.

Stacey picked the Lobster. She said it tasted delightfully fresh with a great sauce and delicate gnocchi.

Our over indulgent evening ended with a dessert to share, which unfortunately I cannot remember the name of. I think it was “Shelly Custard.” I can tell you it is a rich, tasty, caramel custard dessert atopped with salted cream. I do love the taste of caramel and salt together.

After dinner we did go and take look at the patio so I could take some photos. This part of the restaurant is truly beautiful centered by a large tree, which branches reach across the gardens and over the tables. A surprising amount of customers were dining outside comforted by warming heat lamps. I do wish we had braved the cold a little and enjoyed this part of the restaurant. Perhaps next time.

I highly recommend making a visit to Cliff’s Edge if you are visiting LA.

1  Thank LifeFoodWine
Reviewed May 29, 2014

it is so rare to find restaurants in a garden in LA that I come regularly to this place. the large tree and the bamboos plus the lights and candles at nigh, colorful cushions really create a charming atmosphere
Food is good, not crazy but good and portion size are New Cuisine small and cocktails are fantastic
But it is the third time that I am disappointed by the service at lunch and dinner. They bring wrong meal, you have to ask 4/5 times before you get salt or water, and worst the chicken liver pate had an issue and was unpalatable, they took it back, did not apologized and charged us...
so I will go back for a drink, at the bar, but restaurant seating no more

1  Thank Julie D
Reviewed May 22, 2014

If you want a romantic or peacful and private dining experience this is the place to be. The center courtyard has a magnificent tree with tables and seating placed artfully around. There are huge antique looking mirrors along the back wall that envelop the atmosphere of deep greens. Service and food was a little above average. Do not expect large portions, but everything is plated beautifully. This restaurant is on the pricey side. You are paying for the atmosphere and presentation.

Reviewed April 27, 2014

This place doesn't look like much from the street, but once you go inside and walk through the dining room, there's a shangri-la of a patio there. It's so refreshing and pleasant to be there with the huge tree and the waterfalls. The food was good, but I was disappointed that they only had a brunch menu at 1:30 on a Saturday. I had already had breakfast and the only non-breakfast item available was kale salad or fried chicken.