“Look for Nook”
Review of Nook Bistro

Nook Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Nook Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #623 of 10,306 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Westside
Reviewed October 7, 2011

in an unlike pod mall, in a nook and cranny of a corner, but enter a world of innovative eating. Aside from the boiled peanuts (which make no sense to any of us) the chef comes up with original ways to engage the palate each week in this small, modern, reasonable niche of an eatery.

Reviewed August 22, 2010

With no reservations and after a slight wait, the two of us were seated face-to-face in the center of a community table.

The noise level make it difficult to converse without over shouting our neighbors. However, I was able to hear our neighbors' movie reviews.

We shared the crab cakes with a spicy relish sauce over them. They were better than the ones I buy at SuperTarget. However, if I put that sauce on the SuperTarget crab cakes, they would taste similar to the Nook's.

I had a chickpea stew with cucumber mint sauce over couscous. It was okay. My daughter had a rice bowl. She would have liked to have added some hot sauce.

The question I would have liked to ask my daughter is why, in a city full of ethnic restaurants, can't we go eat at an Asian or Mediterranean restaurant instead of at a place trying to clone that type of food?

However, since she paid, I didn't want to seem ungrateful.

She ordered a white wine that even I enjoyed.

Reviewed October 8, 2009

Everything from catfish and tuna sandwiches for lunch, to crabcakes and barramundi and mac n' cheese for dinner. You've heard it before and I'll say it again - don't judge the book by its cover. It may be in at the tail end of a strip mall, but it's classy and comfy at the same time. Great service just tops it off; my friend was once even given a sampling of their soup to decide whether or not she wanted to order it. Give the place a shot!

Reviewed April 9, 2009

I like the Nook Bistro food a lot, and I like the idea of the central table where you can just walk up and eat if you don't have a reservation. My husband and I go there for dinner from time to time, and the food is straight-forward bistro fare. Huge pork chops are memorable, and the vegetables are imaginative and well cooked. The only problem is that because the room is so bare, and quite small, it can get loud very quickly. If you end up at the big table, sit next to your partner, not opposite, otherwise you won't be able to hear them. Parking in the strip mall can be a bit of a challenge too, but there's often space on the street, if you go after 7pm.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed January 20, 2009

As the name suggests, Nook can be a little difficult to find, but is worth the search. Tucked back into a corner of an unassuming strip mall, it is a cozy, intimate bistro perfect for a romantic dinner for two. We were seated within minutes of our reservation time, which is somewhat of a rarity in LA.

The menu offers a nice variety of salads and entrees with excellent presentation and perfectly sized portions. I ordered the Nook Dinner Salad which belies its rather unassuming name. The combination of the dried cranberries and goat cheese was excellent. My date had the herb roasted pork chops and we were both surprised by the size and tenderness.

The service was friendly, helpful, and unobtrusive. Also, despite the obviously busy evening, we never felt rushed to finish our meals so that they could reuse the table. Overall, an outstanding experience.

RECOMMEND