“Nice Hilton, Good location”

Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City
Ranked #60 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersGold level
Brit in Copenhagen
“Nice Hilton, Good location”
Reviewed January 28, 2007

Stayed for four nights with family (2 adults, 2 children aged 12 and 7) during summer 2006. The location is great for Universal Studios and City walk, also for Hollywood Bowl and Boulevard (5 minutes by car) and the hotel is sparkling clean and modern. Our main problem was that we arrived at 9pm after an exhausting trip from London and were given a room that wasn't made up! This was quickly sorted out with the management, however, and we ended up in a large room on the 15th floor with two double beds and a great view to the North over Universal Studios.
The room was plenty large enough for a family of four and the bathroom clean and modern with everything you need. We took breakfast every morning in the excellent restaurant. The service was first class and the buffet breakfast the best we experienced during our three weeks in California. Public areas are clean and modern although the outside pool area was a little on the small side. We took the hotel limo for a 2 hour tour around the Hollywood sites and the driver was polite and friendly, but not particularly knowledgable - reasonably priced though.
One of the better Hiltons, definitely, particularly if you can get a good rate which includes that great breakfast.

• Liked — Location, cleanliness and breakfast
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
7 Thank JENSBritinCopenhagen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (554)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bay Area
Reviewed January 22, 2007

This is the 2nd time my boyfriend & I stayed at the Hilton Los Angeles Universal City. This is also the 2nd time we booked an Alcove Room because we loved it so much the 1st time we visited.

The Alcove Room is a corner room of the hotel with large windows and somewhat of a "panoramic" view.

Our room was ready to be checked in to at 1pm which is nice. Most hotels don't have their rooms ready until 3 or 4pm.

The room was incredibly clean! Again, I always check for bed bugs & thankfully none were found :-). The room was quite spacious for a corner room & the bathroom was huge! They offer great Crabtree & Evelyn ammenities.

The reason why I only gave this hotel 4 stars & not 5 is because of the mix-up of my reservation. I had originally made my reservation online (4 days prior to our visit). I called a day before to confirm my reservation & their agent couldn't find my reservation! I was so upset & freaked out because our trip down south was for a convention & many hotels we looked up to book at were either sold out or way overpriced for their location / value.

Thankfully when I was speaking to the agent, she found me the same room & it was $10 cheaper than my original reservation, so I booked it (again). When I arrived at the hotel their assistant manager checked me us in & realized I had double booked. I explained what happened & he realized that their agent spelled my name incorrectly when I told her how to spell it SIX TIMES (no joke). My name is NOT hard to spell (honestly)!!

I was worried that I would be charged double because it was past their cancellation requirement. I mean, it was THEIR fault & not mine! I was pleased that he didn't hassle me, canceled the original reservation & gave me the lower price. Their agent gave me quite a scare & I spoke to their head manager the following morning & explained what happened. He was EXTREMELY nice. I felt better about the whole situation & also comfortable again with planning for future stays at their property.

My only other "complaint" was the $15 charge for self-parking! Our room key wasn't registering w/their ticket system in the parking garage & their parking attendant had to keep checking on our room reservation & my i.d. to make sure we weren't trying to rip them off with the in & out privileges of hotel guests LOL. Oh boy!

Despite the reservation confusion & minor inconvenience of the parking...with their cleanliness, new furniture, super comfortable bed, staff & of course fabulous location, I still highly recommend this property!

• Liked — location, decent room rate
  • Disliked — self-parking fee of $15
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
10 Thank CA*PastryChef
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed January 1, 2007

We stayed here for 10 days during our 5 week trip in the USA.

This was by far the best hotel we stayed in on our trip (we stayed in Hiltons during our whole stay). The hotel is very well kept and the staff are excellent.

Room: The room was really big, clean and comfortable. We gt a corner room looking over Universal Studios. The bed was really comfortable. The sitting area had a 2 seater sofa and a coffee table with a large TV cabinet. The bathroom was huge, with a shower/bath and a large vanity area and a seperate power mirror and chair.

Service: The service was excellent, staff were really friendly and willing to answer any questions.

Location: A short walk (up a steep hill) or free shuttle ride to Universal Studios and City Walk. City Walk has great shops and restaurants and is fun day and night.

Take a short walk down the hill to the subway station and it is 2 stops to Hollywood Blvd, the station walks straight out onto Hollywood Blvd almost right next door to the Kodak theatre. During the day the subway felt safe, but at night was a little scary. Also make sure you don't miss the universal shuttle up the hill when you get back or it is a steep walk and not fun after a day of walking! Catch the shuttle to universal and the hotel shuttle back to the hotel. Seems like a pain in the butt but wait till you see the hill lol.

Pool: The pool area isn't anything too flash, was clean but not under cover. The outdoor chairs seemed to be a little old and need to be updated.

All in all this was the best Hotel we stayed in. It was great and reasonably priced. We paid $220pn including breakfast.

• Stayed December 2006
12 Thank Bubbly_B
philadelphia
Reviewed December 7, 2006

Okay, I really loved this hotel. Nice sized rooms, huge bathroom with a great shower, big comfortable bed. It is nice to be close to all the restaurants of CityWalk, while mostly in a quieter area of LA.
It is about a 20-30 minute drive from the airport and only about a 10-15 minute ride to the center of Hollywood and you can avoid the freeway to do it.
Also, you can drive north to Santa Monica or Malibu within 30-45 minutes depending on traffic. It is also not far from the Warner Bros studio if you are doing a tour, and not far from the Grove Mall. Anaheim/Disneyland is only a 40 minute drive also.

For me, this hotel was located centrally to everything that we did for a week and I would 100% stay there again. I loved everything about it.

The only downside, internet access will cost you 9.95 per day. A lot of other Hilton and Hilton family brands have complimentary wireless internet. Room service was also good, but a tad on the pricey side.

• Liked — The room, just about everything
  • Disliked — charge for the internet
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
8 Thank lpd5329
Scotland
Reviewed November 22, 2006

Fantastic hotel with friendly, helpful staff.

Ideally located for Universal Studios. The only drawback being the hill climb on returning from the Metro after 8.00pm after the last the shuttle bus up the hill had stopped.

We would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel or indeed should the finances allow, returning for a future vacation.

Special mention should go to Stewart at reception for his assistance during our visit, also the Sierra Restaurant staff.

Stayed October 2006
2 Thank biko
Stockport UK
Reviewed November 16, 2006

Great hotel!

Checked-in at 9am, room on the top floor with fantastic views of Universal, the hills and downtown L.A in the distance.
The room was large, clean and very (very) comfortable.

Had use of the lounge on the 21st floor as i had booked an executive room. Enjoyed breakfast here every morning.

Pool was nice, jacuzzi even nicer!

Parking was easy and inexpensive at $14 per day with full in/iout privelages.

Shuttle to Universal was free and regular, but the walk was just as easy and i always felt safe.

Would definately stay again.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled with friends
7 Thank EricC01
San Clemente
Reviewed October 26, 2006

When I got in the HHonors Members check-in line last Friday the clock on the wall above the clerks head read 5:35 PM. The `common folks' line was much longer so I figured this the best bet. I made a mental note the people at the end of that line. By 6:00 they were long gone as were to of the people that were behind me, but switched. By 6:15 I was finally being issued a room key and was at the door by 6:30. 55 minutes, NOT A GOOD WAY to end a three hour, traffic congested, drive to the San Fernando Valley!!

The room was on the 19th floor. It was a `corner' room overlooking Universal Studios with a wonderful view of the SF Valley and the mountains. The room and bath were clean and well appointed. The spacious bathroom was tiled in travertine as was the shower walls and countertops. My wife lover the separate vanity area.

The Hotel was close enough to walk over to the City Walk for dinner, but after the concert we took advantage of the convenient tram for our return.

I was very disappointed in the check-in process, but I do recommend the Universal Hilton anyway and will most likely return if my travels take me back to the area.

• Liked — Spacious & Clean
  • Disliked — Check-in
  • Tips/Secrets — Be VREY Patient