“Overpriced Hotel”

Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City
Ranked #48 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 1, 2013

The Hilton Los Angeles / Universal City is in a great location if you are going to Universal Studios and plan to eat all of your meals in the park or in Universal City Walk. For that reason, the hotel commands an expensive per night rate. However, if I am going to pay this rate, I would expect better upkeep. The bathroom faucet squirted all over the sink area; the fold open doors to the TV cabinet kept closing while watching the TV; the coffee pot kept shutting off prematurely; and the most frustrating part of the experience is the elevators are extremely slow. Many of the indicator lights are burnt out, so you do not know if the elevator is going up or down and you don't know what floor you're on unless you stick your head out and read the lettering on the side of the doors when they open. If they paid the same amount of attention to these details as they do the landscaping (which they are constantly manicuring) the hotel would live up to its rating as a 4-5 star hotel. What amazes me is that cheaper hotels/motels offer a complimentary breakfast and free wi-fi. I have never understood why an expensive hotel charges for wi-fi ($7.95 per day) and breakfast is outrageously expensive. There are some restaurants and fast food franchises on Lankershim if you don't mind the traffic and the difficult parking logistics. We found a great Thai restaurant near Moorpark and Lankershim called the Rustic Spoon. Not fancy, but great, inexpensive food. There is a McDonald's a little further north on the left hand side, but the parking lot is a little larger than a postage stamp.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
HiltonUniversal, Manager at Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

We are sorry that you had a disappointing experience during your stay with us. At Hilton, we always aim to ensure every guest feels cared for, valued and respected. Your feedback will help us deliver this brand promise. We're very sorry that you were not happy with your guest room and the issues you occurred during your stay. As a AAA Four Diamond hotel, that is not the type of service we look to provide to our guests and will work to remedy and inconsistencies in service levels. Guest satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. We will forward these concerns to the appropriate manager and would like the opportunity to discuss this with you further. Please send your contact information to our marketing manager at LBriones@hiltonuniversal.com. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider staying with us again.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for a conference for one night. Brought my son and sister who visited Universal Studios and other sights in the area while I worked. Great location, clean, friendly and helpful staff.

1  Thank Robin C
HiltonUniversal, Manager at Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your time with us. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you travel to the Los Angeles area.

Regards,

Reviewed June 30, 2013

I throughly enjoyed staying at this hotel. However, there should be a shuttle to and from the airport. Also I have stayed in much less expensive hotels/motels where Wi-Fi is free. It is $7.95 a day here unless you have enough Hilton Honors points which I did not. Buffets were expensive. Otherwise, it was wonderful. Beds are heavenly.

Room Tip: Higher floors are hotter. Make reservations early.
1  Thank Phyllis B
Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

Excellent overall service! Free shuttle to the theme park.I enjoyed the room and the view of the park! Very clean room! walking distance to the park! Excellent buffet! see u soon! me and girlfriend is thinking of coming back in September for my birthday!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank fvr9ers

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Our guests are the number one priority. We look forward to your return the next time you are in the Los Angeles area.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I like the view the hotel provide, although I wish I was on the on the other side of the hotel. I was happy that I could book the last room available without compromising price and quality. I made a last minute booking, because I was unprepared of the trip. I called other places before I called Hilton, and I was shocked how much they were charging per night. When I called this Hilton hotel, I quickly booked the room since it was their last room available.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 23, 2013

we stayed in this hotel about 2 years ago. Very nice, very friendlich service and management. Beautiful rooms.I can highly recommend this hotel if you want to stay next to the amusement park of Universal Studios. It´s a bit of a drive to get down to Beverly Hills or Venice Beach. Rooms are very clean, very big and comfortable.

I find this hotel very recommendable.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
HiltonUniversal, Manager at Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope you will consider staying with us the next time you travel to the Los Angeles area.

Regards,

Reviewed June 19, 2013

We stay here monthly because of the staff, the food, and the convenience to City Walk and Universal Studios. There is a shuttle to take you right up to the front and then back to the hotel. The restaurant has a wonderful seafood buffet on the weekend with the best variety of food this side of Las Vegas

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Angelo F

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us. We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. Guests are our number one priority and we are so glad this customer service came shining through. We have forwarded your feedback regarding the parking fees to Our Executive Office for review. We hope you will stay with us again the next time you travel to the Los Angeles area.