“Not worth it! Avoid this hotel.”

Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City
Ranked #54 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersGold level
south texas
“Not worth it! Avoid this hotel.”
Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

We booked this hotel due to the close proximity to Universal Studios. The lobby is nice. However, the rooms are completely out dated. I booked a month in advance and rooms generally cost about 200-229 a night. However, I fell for the operator offering a larger room on the Executive floor with your own private floor, refreshments included, robes, breakfast etc etc for 50 bucks more a night. Being Hilton Honors we usually get it anyway but I wanted more square footage. When we arrived the room was not ready. We got our room 30 min late. Uh extra square footage well that's definitely not true. We don't even have a couch! The view is nice but we have a tiny desk and a single chair. I truly dislike rooms without
two night stands. The beds are not two queens but two fulls. We felt like two fools in this room. Upgrade...NOT!! The air con does not work well. I did infer about our so called snacks and breakfast and the clerk then suddenly remembered and gave us buffet coupons. But hey at least he gave them. We let him know we had no robes and he said he would send them up. They never came but a lady came up and brought towels. But hey better than nothing. We called the front desk to ask if we could actually get a bigger room but they said it would be another 300 a night. What we have is already not worth 300 a night can you imagine paying 300 more. Ridiculous!

The only plus is there is very good linen and great pillows. The restroom is tiny too. One sink and very little counter space. The lobby bar area is vibrant. The staff are not good about dealing with issues. It seems like they act dumb about it. It's easy you apologize and offer a tiny perk. Like comped parking something. I would rather drive 30 min to Universal than ever stay here. Never, ever again. The bellman were very efficient and the bar staff were great. Valet rush to who they think will tip better or get ignored.

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (560)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I stayed at this hotel about a year ago on business and loved it. I booked this hotel for another business trip but this time I brought my 12 year old and sister in law. Things have changed with this hotel as far as service. I am a Hilton Diamond HHonors Member and I love Hiltons because of the level of quality and service. This hotel is lacking in both areas. This trip, my Diamond status did not do much for me. Here are the pros and cons:

Pros:
Great Location, 5 minute walk to Universal and easy access to Highway and Hollywood/Beverly Hills
Parking was very easy
Breakfast Buffet was great - lots of different choices
Room was nice and clean

Cons:
Staff was sub par. At the front desk, it was acknowledged i was a HHonors member but that was as far as it went. Nothing terrible but nothing special
The continental breakfast they offer as part of having status with HHonors was awful. Watery oatmeal, very bruised bananas and typical pastries. We paid the $9 upgrade just to get the fresh fruit and cereal.

I probably would not recommend this hotel. The ranking on TripAdvisor has dropped considerable for last year. For the rack rate price, look at other options. There are very nice hotels in the area that seem to be in the same price range

Room Tip: Ask for high floor, they tend to be very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
HiltonUniversal, Manager at Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. Knowing you are a return guest and an HHonor member, we greatly value your comments regarding service and quality. We regret to hear that you did not find these to your satisfaction. Your review has been shared with our executive office and will be utilized to spark improvement throughout the property.

We hope that you will reconsider staying with us again the next time you are in the area.

Regards,
Hotel Management
San Diego, United States
Reviewed April 4, 2013

One week before our stay at the Hilton we stayed at a Comfort Inn, to save some money. Then we decided to splurge and stay at the Hilton- so glad we did, and we will from now on! The entire staff was great, our room was comfortable and quiet, and it's a beautiful building.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

United States
Reviewed April 3, 2013

This is kind of an odd property, sort of like a time warp. Its located within walking distance to Universal Studios and Citywalk, which is very convenient.

The hotel itself has a heavy Asian influence, and feels sort of stuck in the 80's. Its in some ways kind of opulent, but not what I'd call chic and modern.

The rooms provide good views, ours was to the north. We had a king alcove room, which cost extra but provided a ton of space. The room had a big, thick carpet and was a little dated, but in very good condition. I just think the décor could use a refresh--the walls in particular. Very dark. The sheets and towels were actually amongst the highest quality I have encountered in a hotel--very soft and thick. The bathroom was very large and the shower worked well.

A big negative was soundproofing--I could hear the television and conversation from the room next door. The walls must be very thin.

We did not eat at the hotel--apparently it is "known" for its buffets. Both dinner and breakfast were very expensive, and dinner just didn't look that appealing.

Self parking was very easy--valet is not necessary. The garage is right below the hotel.

Overall, if you want to go to Universal or have business in the immediate area, this is an okay choice. We didn't visit the theme park, so I can't speak to it, but there is a shuttle. We did walk over to Citywalk, and the walk was a bit confusing at night--it could be a lot better parked. Its very hilly so be aware of that.

Otherwise, I wouldn't go out of my way to stay here. On the other hand, the night I stayed here it was significantly cheaper than most other hotels of this caliber in LA, so if cost is a factor you might want to check it out.

Room Tip: Request a high floor with a view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank IADTraveler
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Husband is Hilton Diamond level. We had 2 nites at this hotel for our family. The gentleman who checked him in remembered my husband from previous travel trips and said a special gift (food platter) would be at the room. Nite 1---nothing received. We let them know morning of Day 2- they said it would be coming up. Nothing was ever received. The room really could have used updating. The server in the restaurant for the buffet/continental breakfast was very friendly and helpful. Their continental breakfast is all I would recommend.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JazzTravelGuru
HiltonUniversal, Manager at Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us. We appreciate that you and your husband are regular guests and we value all of you feedback greatly in order to improve our service. We hope that you will return again the next time you are in the area.

Regards,
Hotel Management
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I got a really good deal on a two night stay in March. I was kind of expecting this hotel to be tacky, given its location right in Universal City, but it is a beautiful property. Room was top notch. We did not eat in the hotel, so I can't comment on the food, but the restaurants in the lobby area are beautiful and the Sunday Brunch we did not enjoy looked gorgeous as we walked by. Free shuttle to Universal Studios and an easy walk to the metro. Parking was kind of pricey, but not out of the ordinary for such hotels. You could also walk to Warner Brothers Studio from here if you don't mind a bit of a hike. It's about 3 miles via Lankershim, Cahuenga and Vally Stream Lane. We also drove over and walked around Griffith Park. Who knew LA had actual open space?

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
CA
Reviewed April 2, 2013

My family and I just stayed there this weekend. It's a beautiful hotel, very clean, the staff was very helpful and friendly. Check in is at 3pm we got there well before that, they were very accommodating and were able to let us check in to our room early. The room was very clean and spacious. The beds were very comfortable.The bathroom was clean and beautiful. We stayed on the 4th floor, I'd read reviews that the lower floors were noisy, but I didn't have any problems with noise, not even coming from the freeway. They have a huge buffet, we didn't eat there because we spent most of our time out, but it looked very nice. Parking is pretty expensive, and Wifi isn't free. It's just minutes away from Hollywood blvd. And a short walk from Universal citywalk/Universal studios. They do offer a roundtrip shuttle, we took it up once but it was crowded. After that we just walked. There really were no problems with our stay, so we would definitely choose this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family