New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Just average with a horrible experience with neighboring guests” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City

Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City
Ranked #52 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersGold level
Novato, California
“Just average with a horrible experience with neighboring guests”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel a couple of days ago because we had an early flight out of Burbank airport and wanted something close by. Location-wise, it is very good. Walking distance to Universal Studios/City Walk, right off the freeway (but not so close that you can hear the freeway noise in your room). If you want to be close to the touristy Hollywood, then this is an ideal location.

The room was fine, nothing fancy. Looked more like a business hotel than a vacation hotel. Definitely needs some updating in the common areas, but like I said, just fine.

Our horrible experience began at about 9:30 pm when we returned from having dinner at City Walk. We came in and heard the neighboring guests being loud and "partying", but didn't really mind too much because it was still kind of early in the night. However, at 12:30 am and they were still being just as loud, I called the operator and asked that security investigate. The only thing I heard was the phone ring in the room next door (security did not personally come up) and they quieted down for about 10 minutes. But alas, the noise and screaming and laughing started up again and I waited another 30 minutes to call for security again to come up and deal with it. Again, I heard the phone ring next door and again they quieted down for about 10 minutes (still no security personally checking out the situation). I had to call a 3rd time and again security was just a phone call to the offending room. Finally, at 3:30 am, I called the front desk and insisted that they send an actual person to deal with the problem. The front desk person basically told me that they only thing she could do was call security and ask them to go up, but she had no way of "making" them go to the room. Completely unacceptable. She did offer to move me and my daughter, but at 3:30 am and having to catch an early flight, that was not something I was willing to do. Finally after this 4th call, I did hear security come up and empty the room of the partners, but I don't think it should have taken me 4 phone calls to get this resolved.

Needless to say, I will not be staying at this hotel again nor will I tell any of my friends to stay there.

By the way, when I checked out, the front desk person did not even ask me how my stay was, or I would have given her an earful. Since I had an early flight to catch on no sleep, I couldn't stay and demand compensation for such an awful experience. But a big thumbs down on this hotel and its front desk and security staff.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank MarinlMom
HiltonUniversal, Manager at Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am very sorry we were not able to provide you with a satisfactory experience during your recent stay. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we appreciate your feedback about the manner with which the noise situation you experienced was handled. We have forwarded your review to the appropriate department heads and the executive office. Your review will help us to improve our guest experience and ensure that security is involved with any noise complaints brought to our attention.

We hope you will reconsider staying with us again.

Regards,
Hotel Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (503)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Boston, MA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

The location is very good, it's walking distance to Universal Studios and City Walk (wide selection of restaurants) and located right off the 101. The hotel is fairly updated. The beds are very comfortable, and have high quality (high thread count and crisp) sheets. The bathroom is modern and clean. ON the negative side and the reason I rated this hotel as only average is that the room could use a good dusting, and the carpets were quite dirty. It's actually quite surprising that the management does not hire a firm to come in and steam clean them - seems like a simple fix to greatly improve the guest experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher room to get a nice view. Also one side of the hotel faces Universal Studios, so if...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed here for our first visit to overseas. Its in a fantastic location..a five minute walk to universal studios and citywalk. The rooms are great, only problem is our room smelt like smoke. The bed was comfy as and the concierge was very helpful. Would definately reccomend and stay again :)

• Stayed February 2013
Durham, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

We planned to see Universal Studios Hollywood and there couldn't have been a better place to stay. You can actually walk over to the theme park through an almost connecting bridge, takes about 4-5 minutes. All the major attractions (Chinese theatre, Walk of fame, tour operators for Hollywood tours) are just one stop away on the subway. The closest subway station is also located a very short convenient walk away from the hotel, and its a downhill walk, which meant we struggled to walk uphill on return, about 5 minutes on a 15 degree incline...and it was a real pain with a toddler with us who did not want a stroller ride at that point in time... nevertheless, we made it alive!! The one big problem is that there no places to eat near the hotel. Lunch was always out since we were out sightseeing during the day. Dinner was ordered by us over the phone and delivered to the hotel for us.
I thought Wi-Fi would be free of charge in a hotel like Hilton...turns out, I was wrong. We had to pay for it.
The room itself was average. That being said, it was one of the hotel's cheaper rooms.
The bathroom was decent and toiletries were better quality than what I have generally encountered, but seriously, who cares for toiletries!!
All in all, a good place to stay especially if Universal studios tops your agenda list. A bit inconvenient for food though and the uphill walk is serious so take that into account if you have children or elderly accompanying you and you plan to take buses or trains to city attractions other than Universal Studios.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Perth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

After spending a week at Disneyland, I wanted to enjoy a few days in LA to show the family the rest of the sights. The search for accommodation was exhaustive as all hotels were either too pricey, too small, poor location or not modern in appearance.

I was excited to find Hilton Universal City, it was close enough to LA to drive, close to the amenities of Universal Studios (I didn't take the family as our 5 year old is too short for most of the rides)

Patric at Check In was amazing, giving us a high floor room with an excellent view. What surprised me is how the valet, doorman and bell boy were clearly SO proud of the hotel and that they work for the Hilton, nothing was too much effort.

The swimming pool was beautifully warm, housekeeping was excellent.

The only negative, is for a double room, the beds were TINY, my wife and I really struggled to get comfortable as the bed was so small.

Other than that, wouldnt hesitate to stay there again!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Grapevine,
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

While breakfast was good it was very much over priced. We found a local place that was excellent and very reasonable . Its less than a mile away and called Good Neighbor. Hotel needs some updating. Our shower knob got stuck and our bed fell off the frame in top corner. Seems like it was a queen frame but double bed. Why do they even put doubles in hotels. They are way too small for comfort. And the room could definitely accommodate queens. But is still it was clean and roomy. Plus had pretty views of the city! Pool was nice but doesn't catch early evening sun and was too cold for Spring Break Cabana were a nice touch. Valet is very prompt and efficient. Roll away crib was also overpriced.

• Stayed March 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for business and it was okay. The hotel was very standard, no complaints. This would have been a great location had I been going to Universal so I would highly recommend it if that is your purpose. It was an easy walk to Universal City Walk where you can choose from a number of common chain restaurants. I don't plan to stay here again as I prefer a location with more unique and interesting restaurants within walking distance, but the hotel itself was fine.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Central L.A
Tilt Hotel Universal / Hollywood, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
The Tangerine
#1 of 20 in Burbank

Been to Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City? Share your experiences!