“Good for going to the Hollywood Bowl or Universal Studios”

Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City
Ranked #56 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersGold level

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (547)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I've stayed here for business three times in 2012, usually two nights each..

My first stay of the year in February was one of the best hotel experiences I have had in some time. Check in was smooth and efficient, I was given a nice ground floor room with a patio next to the pool. As I was settling in to my room i received a fruit basket (which was just what I needed at the time), and breakfast the next am was great.

Fast forward to September. I had tried to book that ground floor room again. Got a message the night before asking if I really needed a accessible room. I called back immediately saying I did not and wanted the same room as last time - but no one answered and I left a message. When I arrived at the hotel the next day it was clear that no one had listened to my message. I got a different room that was really nothing to write home about. I asked for different options and was told that the hotel was completely sold out. No fruit basket this time either. I liked that the room had the universal charging adapters, but disappointed that it didn't charge my iPad. The stay was fine, but definitely not as good as my one earlier in the year.

Now, I'm back, third visit of the year. I didn't mention it earlier but I'm HHonors Gold. This time, no upgrade, no lounge appetizer/bar coupons, no fruit basket, and no bottled water in my room either. Again told that hotel is completely full. The rooms here clearly don't transcend average, and the declining service for HH elite members has sunk to that level as well.

I had a great stay at Andaz over the hill last year. If i'm not getting any real special treatment for my status here, I might as well just stay there instead.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for two nights because of its location (opposite Universal Studios) It is very easy to get to by metro line from Downtown LA at a cost of $1.50 per person. The rooms were clean but dated. We were supplied with one T bag and 2 coffe bags and 1 paper cup between 2 adults and 2 children, two attempts to the front desk to request more supplies. The Seafood buffet is very good but expensive considering the amount of restuarants at Universal Studios but gave it a try. (Freshly prepared lobster brought to your table) and heaps of other choices for a 3 course meal.
The pool area is a real let down as the outdoor furniture is so dated though fresh clean towels were provided and the spa was heated to a beautiful temperature.

Room Tip: We paid an extra $9.00 per night for a high floor park view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I booked this hotel to save on transfer costs as we wanted to visit Universal Studios. The hotel has a free shuttle to take you there. We did not use this service as Universal Studios is just across the road and the walk across the bridge was so pleasant. Our experience at this hotel was so good! The staff very super friendly, the rooms were great. The breakfast was not included in our stay but it was not at all expensive and the range of food was fantastic. The service at the restaurant was the best. I would not even consider another hotel if going to Universal Studios. There are so many restaurants nearby at Universal City, the hardest part is deciding where to eat.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 9, 2012

We spent 3 nights at this hotel, located high on a hill with a walkway to Universal and CityWalk.
We arrived by metro and the trolley arrived within 2 minutes to help us get up the hill with our luggage.It actually takes you all the way up to CityWalk and then you transfer to the Hotel bus for a one minute ride back down halfway.
The hotel is fresh and although it has been there for years, looks new and modern. WE were so lucky as HH Gold members we were given an upgrade to the 21st floor . The room was a corner alcove and had amazing views of the city, mountains, and the beautiful lights of CityWalk .WE were also given breakfast vouchers for each day. These were only for the Continental style breakfast - cold items like fruit, yogurt, cottage cheese, and pastries, including drinks like orange juice and coffee or tea. IT was fine for us to start the day. If you wanted the hot items, lox or cheeses, it was an upgrade. Next level was $9.00 pp and the hot was almost $20.00 pp but I am not exactly sure of the price.
We enjoyed being able to take the bridge to walk over to Universal and CityWalk. It took less than 5 minutes. We also walked up the hill from the metro ( without luggage) at night as the shuttle stops at 9 pm on some days and 4 pm on others. It took us only 8 minutes . Going down took just 5 minutes. Looks worse than it is!
We spent one sunny day at the pool, which was beautifully landscaped and heated! There were hardly any people there so it was very quiet with music playing on low volume. Very relaxing! Plenty of fluffy towels.
Bed as very comfortable and A/C quiet, so we slept very well.
Loved our stay here !

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Port Coquitlam, Canada
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Stayed here for one night while we went to the haunted houses at Universal. Walking distance to the park and lots of great stores and restaurants. Hotel was great, room was amazing. Everything was clean and bed was comfortable! Would definitely stay again! Only reason I'm giving 4 stars is because parking is a little bit expensive. If we're paying over $200 a night to STAY in the hotel there should be cheaper parking/valet.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Blowing Rock, North Carolina
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I have stayed here on business several times during the past year. The hotel is great (although very busy) and is very convenient to dining and shopping options. There is always a lively crowd at the bar and it is a great place to unwind at the end of the day. The staff is extremely helpful if you are looking for options to explore LA and the surrounding area they will guide you in the right direction. Stewart at the front desk is also one of the best assets of this property. He always has time to help with questions/concerns and provides the highest level of customer service. I plan to stay here again and again when I am in LA on business.

Room Tip: Try to get an alcove room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Universal City Area
Nite Inn at Universal City
Nite Inn at Universal City
#140 of 351 in Los Angeles

Been to Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City? Share your experiences!