“Nice hotel , good location, terrible ameneties”

Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City
Ranked #51 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

First of all the hotels location is great for universal studios. It's a 10 minute walk to the park entrance and city walk.

The rooms are big and modern. However, the amenities are shocking for a chain of this size.

No wifi unless you want pay a large fee for 24 hour access. They charge you nearly $4.00 for water in your room.

We stayed in smaller hotels dueing tge course of our near threeweeks in California and had complimentary wifi in hotels except here. In others we even had complimentary champagne.

Would only recommend staying here if you are going to universal studios and being close is important.

• Stayed: October 2012
There are newer reviews for Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City

Reviewed October 27, 2012

I have been here many times, however, during my most recent visit I had some problems. First I was not able to select my usual alcove room via the Hilton.com web site. There seemed to be a problem with the Hilton.com web site, since I was unable to check-into three different Hilton hotels last week.

When I physically checked in at the hotel an alcove room was not available. Also Hilton no longer arranged the usual fruit basket for their gold members, which I previously enjoyed. Also they no longer gave me a bar appetizer coupon as they have done in the past. I need to reconsinder my next visit, The nearby Sheraton may be my next best choice.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Tony J
HiltonUniversal, Manager at Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your feedback on your stay this fall. We are sorry to hear that we did not meet the standards that you have come to expect from our hotel. We have had recent changes to our HHonor benefits to match what Hilton Worldwide offers globally. We apologize if this change has caused you any inconvenience. Also, in the future, please reach out to the hotel to adjust your room type if the website is working. Despite whether you are staying with us, the front desk staff should be able to confirm if your desired room type is available and adjust for you.

We hope that you wills til consider staying with us the next itme you are in Los Angeles.

Regards,
Hotel Managment

Reviewed October 26, 2012

We had stayed at this hotel once before in 2008. I remember it as being so-so, but we had Hilton Honors points to spend, and we decided to use it for a night's stay at the Universal Hilton for our second wedding anniversary. I do not know if my memories of the hotel were fuzzy, or if their customer service improved, but we had a wonderful time! We were warmly greeted by the front desk and check-in was a breeze. I mentioned to the clerk we were celebrating our anniversary, and would it be possible to have a room with a view of the Studios? Not only did we get our room, but it was one of the best rooms we've ever stayed in. Located high on the 14th floor (okay, it's actually the 13th floor, but I'm well aware of many a hotel's superstition), the room offered sweeping views of Universal Studios, Warner Bros. Studios, Disney Studios, the 101 freeway, and parts of the San Fernando Valley. Gorgeous! And clean. The bed was comfortable, though the pillows were too soft. I had to bunch several under me to get any kind of head support. We had room service - it was delivered promptly and was delicious! I highly recommend it! We tried the pool - because it was a bit chilly, we had the pool to ourselves, which was nice. Went to Universal Studios itself - because it was a Monday the studio was in full swing and we saw the cast of "CSI," which was a bonus. The next day, because of Hilton's noon check-out, we were able to sleep in late. My only complaint would be the shuttle buses that run from the Hilton to the Studios. The shuttles stop running at 4:30. It would be nice if the buses kept running at least 1/2 hour after park closing.

Room Tip: Ask for the 14th floor, facing the studios.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Perfect if Universal Studios is your main priority for staying. Ten minute reasonably strenuous walk to Universal, or the shuttle runs approximately every 15 minutes. Very helpful concierge staff. I was very happy with the standard of the room and the cleanliness.

The buffet breakfast is really lovely, and a great way to build yourself up for a full day doing the tourist things. Freshly squeezed orange juice was delicious. Great wait staff.

Room service menu was good, especially when catering for children and service was prompt. I also very much appreciated the range of goods offered in the convenience/gift store in the foyer for last minute items as you are not very close to other shops.

Reception desk staff could have been a little more welcoming, and HHonours points were not awarded for this visit. A glitch I could follow up I know, but little things like that are annoying.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Universal Studios if possible.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Our family recently returned from an overnight trip to Universal Studios for Halloween Horror Nights and we loved our stay at the Hilton. The walk to/from Universal was really easy (even at 2 am), the hotel was safe and clean and every single employee we came across was really nice and friendly and truly seemed to care that we were all happy and well taken care of. In total, we had three rooms but we all came in one vehicle and we were only charged for one vehicle. No issues with billing, check in and check out was a breeze (much appreciated since my husband and I were traveling with all teenagers). It was a flawlessly easy break with the kids thanks to the Hilton. Also, about an hour after we arrived, they brought us all (in all three rooms) bottled waters compliments of the hotel...very nice touch. The view from the hotel was amazing! The beds and pillows..so comfy! Great trip, you can't go wrong staying here.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank bbr2996
Reviewed October 23, 2012

My family and I quite enjoyed our stay at the Hilton in Universal City. It is central to just about anywhere around LA. The hotel itself was clean. The room was large, clean, comfortable and the view was astounding. I urge you to splurge for the tower rooms. The staff were excellent and all our needs were addressed. My Ten year old daughter loves staying in hotels and I believe this has been her favorite to date. The continental breakfast was soooooo good and so filling that in four days we never once considered upgrading to the equally fantastic buffet breakfast, even though at only a $9.00 upgrade fee.....it was a steal.

I could go on and on about this hotel. I would not even consider staying anywhere else....we enjoyed it that much. As a family we look forward to our next trip to Los Angeles and look forward to once again staying at the Universal City Hilton.

I must state that no one in my family works for or is associated with the Hilton Hotel chain....We just liked it that much.

Thank you so much once again and hope to see you soon.

Regards,
Nick Kontsalakis

Room Tip: If you can afford to upgrade to the tower rooms.....do so. Worth the extra spend.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Nice modern rooms with great views. Across the street from Universal Studios Hollywood. Great restaurant with wonderful food and if your lucky you might even see a movie star while staying there. Popular place to hang out.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family