“September 2012”

Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City
Ranked #50 of 354 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Wonderful staff. At check in they made our party of 3 feel like celebrities rather than tourists. Great location and within walking distance to Universal and City Walk. Good shuttle service to parks and City Walk 9am to 9pm were shuttle hours and came to hotel about every 15 minutes. Clean and classy pool area.Wonderful maids and staff. Good buffet breakfast. Stayed in executive floor which was very nice but beds could of been bigger. They should be queen rather than full beds. Great stay at the Hilton !

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank S P

Reviewed September 27, 2012

Stayed here for pleasure while visiting family in the Vally. The location was terrific - really wasnt interested in Universal city - but its there if you are into it. The service was great - except at the pool if you order a lunch that has to be brought down from the kitchen (vegi burger or vegi sandwich) it took forever - the did feel bad and comped it. The room was spotless and everyone was helpful. I would definitely stay here again on my next trip to LA. Wish there was a spa! Stayed 2 weekends in a row!

Room Tip: Ask for a high room - better view that way.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Had great time at Hilton Universal, so close to the park it takes five minutes to walk, plus all the fun of Citywalk right there. It is expensive but really worth it. The breakfast was good but costs too much.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 26, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Hilton Universal for a couple of nights in September 2012. We found that it is a good value hotel ideally located for visiting Universal Studios (a short walk or via shuttle) and with convenient Metro train access to Hollywood (5 minutes). We have stayed in Los Angeles a few times and found that this is one of the more convenient locations for seeing many attractions in Los Angeles.

The room was quite large and was clean and comfortable and the experience was mostly positive. The biggest let down at this hotel is standard of service. When we checked in at a bit 4:00pm our room wasn't ready which is very inconvenient when arriving from a long haul flight with a function to attend shortly afterward. Whilst this is not an uncommon issue, the delivery of this news by the check in staff in a matter of fact and unapologetic manner left a bit to be desired. More irritating was the receipt of an unrequested 5:00am wake up call the next morning and the response from the caller when told we did not request a wake up call, which was unapologetic and along the lines of "well we had your room noted for a 5:00am wake up call".

We only ate breakfast at the hotel restaurant (which was quite good) as there is a large array of food options at Universal Studios City Walk, just up the hill.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
HiltonUniversal, Manager at Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2012

Dear Guest,

We want to apologize for the incoveniences that you experienced during your stay with us this fall. We realize that you have an ample number of choices when traveling and endeavor to provide you the best service possible as a AAA Four Diamond hotel. It is disappointing to hear that we did not meet your expectations. Please know that all reviews are shared with our department heads daily in order for guest suggestions and concerns to truly be heard.

We hope that on your next visit to Los Angeles, you will consider staying with us again.

Our best,
Hotel Management

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Had a corner room for two nights September 21st and 22nd. Room was larger than expected and very comfortable. Had a great view of the Universal Studios entrance. Was a five minute walk to the front gates. Bathroom was a decent size and the pool was nice. Front desk check in was easy and the staff was friendly.

Room Tip: Corner room has a great view of Universal Studios
1  Thank Wisc0nsinBeachbum
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Hilton Universal City from 12-16 September 2012 and loved the room (2162) very much. Room was spacious and all amenities expected were provided. Bed was very comfortable. Being a Hilton Honors member was given breakfast coupons everyday where continental breakfast was provided free (upgrade to full buffet for another US$9) Buffet breakfast was substantial and well worth the upgrade if you plan not to have lunch. Internet is provided free in the lobby and cafe 1 hour a day. Sufficient for simple email checking and quick surfing. Printing of boarding passes was free.

For those whose main objective is Universal Studios this is one of best places to stay. It allows you to fully appreciate and utilize the time at Universal Studios and Citywalk. There is a pedestrian bridge leading you directly to Universal Studios and Citywalk or if you are a bit lazy catch the shuttle up. Even walking back late at night after Roxette concert it still felt quite secure.

To visit Walk of Fame and other touristy places one can use the Metro. US$5 for an unlimited ride day pass with US$1 for a TAP card. This is a 10-15 minute walk down a steep hill. On the way up suggest you take the free Universal Studios shuttle and walk from Citywalk back. Less tiring.

Overall an excellent place to stay and would highly recommend as a place to stay.

Room Tip: Higher floors will definitely get good views. Ask for the Universal Studios facing rooms if you like...
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed here Labor Day weekend so our kids could go to Universal Studios and we could relax by the pool.

Our room was spectacular. We were on the 22nd floor and the view was awesome!!! Especially at night. The room was extremely spacious and clean.

With our room, we had vouchers for the breakfast buffet and I have never seen a more generous breakfast buffet!!! We headed down and I was expecting the usual coffee, juice, cereal and pastries. But this buffet had anything you could ever want!! I love breakfast and I thought I was in breakfast heaven!! In addition to the usual things I mentioned above, there were different stations like Jewish and Chinese for things like lox and bagles and dim sum and they had Nutella and fresh fruit and omlettes, and fresh squeezed orange juice.... I can just go on and on. It was in an airy, spacious space with tablecloths and cloth napkins and the servers were so gracious. So with a good nights sleep and this delicous breakfast under our belts we were ready to tackle the day!

The kids headed out to the park and my husband and I headed to the pool area for some rest and relaxation. I went to the pool bar to put in my cocktail order and this is where things fell apart a little bit. They didn't have my brand of alcohol, which wasn't a big deal, but they seemed to be very confused back there and as I waited for my drink, one of the bartenders kind of snapped at me like "What are you still doing here? We'll bring it out to you" of course that isn't what he said, but that was the jist. So, I found my chair and towels and soaked in the sun and after a while, wondered where my cocktail was. Then the pool server sidled up, a little embarassed, and asked me again what my order was but before that, I could hear him getting in trouble so I knew he was coming. It was uncomfortable. I didn't want to hear that and I felt sorry for him. He never returned again to see if I needed anything and I didn't order another drink. With that being said, later that afternoon, I met a couple at the pool and they placed their second drink order, as we were chatting in the pool and after about a half hour, they finally had to leave and he cancelled the order. So I wouldn't give a very good review on the pool bar, but the pool and area surrounding it is nice. There are private cabanas you can secure as well.

After we spent the day at the pool we took the free shuttle to the CityWalk and met our kids for dinner and after dinner, we all rode it back to the hotel. The shuttle runs every 15 minutes, I believe, so it was really handy! I would definately recommend this hotel to anyone going to Universal Studios. It's easy to get on and off the freeway also.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family