“Great Location for Great Tour”

Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City
Ranked #42 of 358 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 18, 2011

Hilton Universal City (HUC) is right outside the entrance to Universal Studios (as is the local Sheraton, the only 2 hotels in walking distance). Easy to walk from "ballroom entrance" to the Universal Studio entrance in 5 minutes using a pedestrian over-bridge. Hotel was usual corporate, and a local wedding venue as well. Great buffet for breakfast, best OJ we had on holiday and good service, the only other "eatery" is a small take-away Starbucks-type coffee shop near the back lobby. But US City Walk has dozens of eating places from fancy restuarants to snacl carts and is great fun.
Overall hotel is fine for Universal, and the City Walk but not ideal for Hollywood or Downtown LA. There is on-site car parking.
There are no nearby amenities other than Universal Studios.

Room Tip: Go for a high floor, overlooking the Universal studios side, lower floors will have some freeway noi...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,020)

Reviewed September 17, 2011

I made some plans to take a trip to Universal City Walk checking, I was bringing my dog along with me. Since the Hilton is a pet friendly hotel, I thought it would be a good choice. I asked for a view of Los Angeles or SOMETHING DECENT! Instead I got a view of the maintance area. The room was so tiny, they put me on the 2nd floor right next to the stairs, I could hear stompping all night. They literally stuck me in the basement!! My room was underneath the lobby enterance. Since my dog wasn't allowed unattended in the room, I went down to get some breakfast to bring back up to my room......And the workers said that I wasn't allowed to do that. Then how am I suppose to have breakfast without leaving my dog in the room??? I work very hard and just wanted to get away from my crazy life. I didn't enjoy my stay at the Hilton not one bit.

6  Thank Vanessa V
nduke, Manager at Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2011

Dear guest,

I am the Manager of Administration and Standards for the Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City and I wanted to take the time to respond to your review. I am very concerned to hear that your stay with us did not live up to your expectations. I am also sorry to read that your room was not to your expectations. Did you mention this to the front desk? I can assure you that if a guest request a different room for whatever reason, unless sold out, we will make every attempt to accommodate the request. Regarding the buffet breakfast, the rule is in place so guests do not take extra plates to their room to feed more people. We do have room service 24/7 and also breakfast a-la-cart to go. We take these comments seriously and immediately rectify the issue as soon as we know of them. I assure you we are always seeking ways to better our service and product as we hear of them from all of guests.

I thank you for taking the time to write so we can work toward serving you better next time. Should you have anything more to add to this, please don’t hesitate to contact me personally at the hotel.

Reviewed September 15, 2011

We booked the hotel as it was handy to Universal studios (a 7 minute walk, although there is a courtesy shuttle that also picks up and drops off) and as we were just finishing a 3 week trip in the States, we thought it would be great to spend a few days here prior to flying back to NZ.

We were not disappointed with the hotel, which is definitely in a great location. It's also very clean and tidy and we went to the seafood buffet on Friday night. The food was delicious and proved to be excellent value for money - we'd definitely recommend that.

My one minor complaint was that we had a room with an adjoining door. This meant that you did get a bit of noise from the room next door. My wife and I both had coughs, as did whoever was in the room next to us. We probably all annoyed one another at some point during our stay!

Right next door to Universal Studios is the "Citywalk". This has lots of shops and restaurants and is really handy if you don't fancy eating in the hotel. There are a variety of food outlets there, from fast food to restaurants. We enjoyed the Mexican (complete with very large margaritas of course!) in particular.

We also took in a tour of Los Angeles, which was worth it (booked via the concierge at the front desk) as well as deciding at the last minute to take in Disneyland as well. My personal views are that if you are only going to visit either Universal or Disney, I'd opt for the former - although the Indiana Jones ride at Disney is excellent and worth heading for early!

Neither of the theme parks were too busy, given that kids had just returned to school, so we did not have excessive waits for any of the rides.

I'd definitely recommend this hotel. It's good value for money. And you know what you are getting with the Hilton brand.

Room Tip: We were in room 1960 - great views as you will see from the photos. Having said that, due to the lo...
Reviewed September 15, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel on Sept 9-12 (celebrating our anniversary), I was a bit skeptical after reading some of the reviews but we decided to give it a try (we travel quite often). First from the time we checked in the staff was very professional and friendly they recommmended excellent restaurants and also walked us to the elevator, we checked into our room and it was everything I expected and also a beautiful view of the city (we were on the 19th floor king alcove room) next they gave complimentary fruit baskets which was a nice gesture. We took advantage of the concierge which was extremely helpful thank you so much kia and jennifer they were awesome!! We used room service which also was prompt and professional. My husband and I overall were very pleased.
The Pearleys

Room Tip: There is a shuttle bus that runs to universal every 15 min and ask concierge about the bus to hollyw...
Reviewed September 13, 2011

We based ourselves here because it's safe and handy to universal studios. We booked a king alcove room and it was very spacious and had terrific views. The hotel would certainly suit couples and families who want to be close to all the tourist attractions by either taxi or public transport or if you want to be able to go on a host of tours (there is a great tour desk at the hotel). Universal studios is walking distance and Warner brothers studio, Hollywood, rodeo drive and all the other tourist locals a short cab ride. It's not the place to stay if you are after a hotel in the nightlife district.

Room Tip: Go the extra and book the king alcove if you can as they are more spacious and offer views.
Reviewed September 13, 2011

We chose this hotel for our L.A. trip becasue of its location. It's a 2 minute walk to the entrance of universal studios. It's also close to hollywood and highland, beverly hills rodeo drive, and santa monica. The alcove room with a king bed was spacious. The mini fridge inside the room came in handy for our bottled waters that we needed everytime we go out of the hotel. The restaurants in the lobby seemed fine although we didn't had the chance to try one. Our room was clean and was properly maintained.

Room Tip: try to ask for a room with a better view, i.e. universal studios grounds.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 12, 2011

LA was our first port of call on our international adventures in the USA and having stayed here about eight years ago I knew that this was a good place to stay. We checked in early as we had come off our flight from Melbourne and we were delighted to have a room that was ready for us.

We stayed in a double double room and it was clean and very well presented. Our package included a continental breakfast, but for $9 each we could upgrade to a full buffet, which is what we did. Buffet breakfast was brilliant. Lots of choices – juices, yoghurts, dairy, pastries, hot food items, individually boxed cereal and cold meats.

The location is one of the benefits of staying at Hilton Universal City! It is just a short walk to Universal Studios and Universal City Walk. If these attractions are your main reason for visiting LA – then this is definitely the place for you to stay. One of my observations here in the USA is that really good hotels have gift stores in the lobby – it’s a nice touch! We were able to purchase soft drinks, ice creams, toiletries etc.

There is a free shuttle service between the hotels and Universal which is really handy, but as the Hilton is the closest hotel to the Theme Park and City Walk, it is really only a 3-5 minute walk. It is strange though that there is a car park and a fence to prevent you from walking directly to the overpass, you walk out and around, but it is not far.

Room itself was lovely and of a high standard, immaculately cleaned and a beautiful bathroom. Bed was very comfortable.

We only had one slight problem during our stay here, as we had breakfast included and on our day of departure we had a 6am pick up. We had sorted with the restaurant staff to visit the restaurant pre 6am to collect some cereal and milk using our vouchers, as they don’t open for breakfast until 6.30am. This was all fine the day before. But, as sometimes happens with these arrangements it didn’t quite get communicated properly. We turned up early to collect our breakfast only to be told by the chef – we are not open for breakfast until 6.30am. We tried to explain the situation, but it didn’t go that well. Again we were told 6.30am. We sat down in the restaurant to wait for our server to arrive who assured us he would be there at 5.30, again to be met with some angry head shakes from the chef. So, it wasn’t the most pleasant note to finish up our stay at Hilton Universal City, but we understand this may not be a common request.

The other minor issue that is worthy of note is the slow lift. We were staying on the 22nd floor and most times we had to wait for up to 20 minutes for a lift when coming down to the lobby. This wasn’t at peak times either – it occurred at 5.30 am, and after midnight. You need to keep this in mind when catching a transfer or a taxi, allow plenty of time to get to the lobby.

Room Tip: Go high floor for the best view!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends