Sportsmen's Lodge Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Mikado Hotel(Los Angeles)
View Hotel
El Patio Inn(Los Angeles)
  • Breakfast included
BLVD Hotel & Spa(Los Angeles)
  • Restaurant
1,038 results
All reviewsstudio citypatio cafeuniversal studiosventura blvdpool barpool viewlarge poolhollywood historyfire pitstayed here for nightsfree shuttleminute drivebeverly hillsstarbuckssupermarketralphslodging
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 12, 2013

What I like BEST: The perfect location, the glorious pool, the delicious breakfast and the wonderful, wonderful staff in the cafe. Those ladies (& gents) make our stay. The clean & comfortable beds. Have to say that ALL the staff were fabulous! Very friendly & helpful.

What I like LEAST: The fact that they no longer have a gym, the new hefty charge for parking, the beer cans around the hot tub in the morning. No room service. The drone of vending/ice machines keeping me awake on the first night. (After that I wore ear plugs)

I don't mind the dated/drab decor - but I do think that the rooms could be styled way better without too much expense. Would make a big difference.

I love the Sportsmen's Lodge. I hope they keep what I like best and improve on what I like least. If so, I will always go back.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Leafy_Ladies
Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

The ghosts of Bogart and Bacall still wander the grounds of this faded but still delightful gem on Ventura Blvd. in Studio City.

The historic Sportsmen's Lodge is a nice and affordable alternative to sterile corporate chain hotels. The grounds a lovely, the prices are reasonable, and the nostalgia rises like mist from the giant swimming pool.

Spring for a pool view room to avoid the noise from nearby Highway 101. Have an inexpensive breakfast among autographed photos of stars ( "some that you recognize, some that you've hardly even heard of") in the Patio Cafe, visit chic menswear shop Sy Devore ( clothier to the Rat Pack) across the street.

The event center has lovely ponds and bridges and the retro decor is real, not manufactured. The trout pond is gone, but the water is still fine.

Easy access to traffic jams on 101. Close to Universal, The Getty, and trendy Ventura Blvd.

I recommend reading about the history of this place to fully appreciate it. Sportsmen's has been an institution since the silent film era and still rides on.

The glory is faded, but this is the real deal.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Ron G
Reviewed January 1, 2013

For under $170 a night we stayed here because of close proximity to Universal Studios, west Sunset and Griffith park. We were very happy with the hotel and our room. The room was large and comfortable. The furniture and TV(not flat screen) were dated, but in working order. In fact everything in Studi City is very retro and vintage 50s. The hotel and rooms look to be updated in the 80s. The bathroom was small. We had a patio and a view of the pool. The wifi was fee, but glitchy and slow. The hotel was very quiet, despite a New Years Eve party with many people staying on property after party. It was very cold outsie when we stayed and the heater took a while to heat the room. The staff were very accommodating and nice. The hotel has a coin laundry and heated pool, but it was too cold to swim. There was a free shuttle to Universal Studios. There is a Starbucks across the street and the hotel is in walking distance of restaurants in Studio City. We recommend this hotel as it was vintage, but adequate for our needs. We will definitely stay here again as we liked the location and the unique vintage atmosphere.

Room Tip: Ask for room with view of pool. Very tropical and does not face the parking lot.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank CanadaKids
Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

I had driven past this place a number of times in the past and was intrigued. I new that A listers had been here in the past but it was past its prime. When I saw a decent rate, I decided to try it. I assumed it has been updated or hipster-ized.

Wrong. Completely wrong. It's an aging bag of bones, not terribly clean. From the lobby, and I have seen more inviting check-in counters at Motel 6, to the dated and tired carpets, wall coverings, etc. even the rooms, which have been upgraded, seem to have only reached the late 80's or early 90's. Stained chairs, lampshade with ceacks and tears, 1980's tv.

This place is a candidate for Hotel Impossible. Sorry, but I have stayed in hotels for decades, and anything more than maybe $79 a night is too much.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank trvlin_man
Reviewed December 27, 2012

If you are looking for noise, this is your place. Constant rush of traffic (from Ventura or the 101 frwy, we couldnt tell) heard from our 4th floor room, extraordinarily loud toilets (which were heard with the door closed & also down the hallway from other guest rooms), housekeepers knocked offering service even when the "do not disturb" sign was placed on the door (this happened 2 of 4 nights), the ridiculous ongoing sounds of guests checking into the rooms above us at 2:30am (thin walls/ceiling) and housekeepers vacuuming during the day. In addition, the tv volume can not be lowered past a certain point, you have to mute it (which negates watching tv at a low level). Hardly vintage, just run down, the carpets in both our guest room and the hallways were stained, torn & worn out. The plastic screen over the lighting in our bathroom was broken leaving the bulb exposed. The lamp shades on both sides of our bed were stained & filthy. The Wifi went down for long periods of time. The restaurant not accepting credit cards (cash only) was inconvenient while the MTS transit bus constantly parked on the street in front of the hotel was obnoxious to navigate around.The only redeeming features were the lobby which seemed to have been updated and the Starbucks, Coffee Bean, Western Bagel & Five Guys burger locations across the street.

Room Tip: go for an interior room facing the pool (probably much quieter)
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family