“Kidsuite was great!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
San Francisco, California
“Kidsuite was great!”
Reviewed June 25, 2006

On a road trip to Hollywood with my 14 & 12 year old kids (1 boy, 1 girl) we stayed at the Beverly Garland Holiday Inn. The staff was very friendly (even returning my phone after I left it at the restaurant and wasn't able to come get it myself until the next morning).
The kidsuite was great, though their selection of games & DVDs is extremely limited (glad we brought our own). It was great to have an empty fridge instead of a mini-bar fridge.

Only hitch was not fitting on the Universal Studios shuttle the first day. I wasn't told seating was limited so didn't hurry to get in the front of the line. We didn't fit and I was told "no standing" and I'd have to wait for the next shuttle. But we needed to be at the park for our VIP tour time, so we had to pay for a cab. Then on the trip home, the same shuttle driver let 2 guests on without seats (standing).

• Stayed June 2006
4 Thank wubbuwu

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 22, 2006

We stayed a week in the Beverly Garland Holiday Inn for a week in early June 2006 and we would thoroughly recommend the hotel. We stayed in the Eldorado building which was great. The rooms are spacious, modern and clean with a big bed, a big TV and a balcony. They are nicer than they look on the website. The Beverly Garland Holiday Inn is an excellent and safe location if you are staying or on holiday in Hollywood/LA. We hired a car and visited many places in and around LA. The hotel has a nice pool, a nice restaurant and a nice bar. All the staff are helpful, pleasant and friendly - especially the guy on reception and the girl in the shop. No sign of Beverly herself though.

If you are visiting LA for the first time (UK people!)) it is best to hire a car. For us this was the first time driving in the USA and we didn't have any problems. The ability to go where we wanted in LA at any time made our holiday. Driving in LA is a shock at first however after about 30 minutes you will see how much easier it is than the UK. Parking at the hotel is $9 a day but there are plenty of spaces and it has very easy access to the motorway. Make sure you take or hire a SatNav though. It would have been a whole different story without it. The hotel is about a 20 minute drive from LAX but you might not be up to it after a 14 hours of flight time from the UK.

There is an excellent Ralphs supermarket and mini shopping complex about a 3 minute walk for essentials and nibbles.

A free shuttle bus takes you to and picks you up from Universal Studios/Universal City Walk several times a day. There is also a tube station close to Universal Studios/Universal City Walk which takes you to Hollywood Blvd and the Walk Of Fame.

Make sure you visit Universal Studio's, Hollywood Blvd, Sunset Strip, Fishermans Village, Venice Beach, Farmers Market, Santa Monica, Long Beach and the Queen Mary.

• Stayed June 2006
13 Thank MrLittlewood
Chicago
Reviewed June 8, 2006

We had originally booked a king bedroom and upon arriving with our very active 2 year old, they offered to upgrade us to a "Kids Suite" which includes twin bunkbeds in the kids area and a queen bed for the grownups. It seemed like a good idea and we eventually made it work for us with some mishaps and adjustments.
This suite is for KIDS, toddlers only if you are forewarned. Basically, these are baby proofing issues that are not the norm for older kids. As always with toddlers, lots and lots of supervision is necessary.
Most hotel cribs are too small for a toddler so she would have ended up sleeping with us in a normal room (hence the king). We ended up having to go out to buy a safety rail so she could sleep in the lower twin. Once the safety rail was in place, everthing was fine.
The reading lights attached to the wall for the bunk beds get very hot, and curious 2 year olds can burn their fingers. I ended up unplugging the whole contraption.
You HAVE to put the latch over the door, because even "locked", they can get out and they are off. Then, if the latch is on and they try to open the door they could get their hand/fingers caught if the door closes.
Ah, yes and the bunkbeds. On day 3, she discovered the ladder...it is NOT detachable.
Now for the plusses. Yes, there are quite a few. The queen bed was very comfortable. Being able to put our daughter to bed in a separate area of the room and still read or watch tv was a real treat after other hotel stays. The restaurant food and service were very nice and other than the usual hassle of dining with a toddler, we enjoyed ourselves.
The staff was very helpful, friendly, polite, etc. We got plenty of clean towels, the hotel was clean and attractive, the grounds were pleasant and attractive. There is a grocery store within walking distance if you need supplies, not just a minimart. Room service was handled well.
One minus outside of the kid stuff. The terrace outside our room was on the highway side of hotel. The road noise was unbelievable. I only opened the doors once. That was enough. Fortunately, the terrace doors are sound proofed, I think. The terrace would have been nice otherwise (except I'm sure my daughter would have tried to climb the railings and I would have had to close them anyway).
The "splash" pool adjacent to the regular pool was the perfect depth for our daughter. She was able to stand with the water chest high and after getting more familiar with it, enjoyed herself tremendously several times during our stay. Of course, most of the time I was in there with her, the rest of the time, I sat on the edge with my feet in. The diameter was about the size of a small hot tub. Unfortunately, I learned they were considering converting to a hot tub.
Overall, we really did enjoy our stay. If I had older children, the Kids Suite would have been awesome.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
7 Thank Leslie Parks C
USA
Reviewed April 7, 2006

I had one of those Traveler publications with a discount coupon for this hotel, and I made a decision to stay there until I read some of the negative reviews on this web-site, so I continued to look for a coupon for another hotel in Hollywood.

When I arrived in California with my mom and young niece, we stayed in San Diego with family, before driving up to L.A. After showing my cousin the coupon book, he told me to stay at the Beverly Garland Holiday Inn instead of other hotels near Hollywood Blvd. because that area isn't safe at night. I took his advice because he used to live in Hollywood.

I am certainly glad I listened to my cousin! The three of us loved the hotel, the room faced the tennis courts and was very quiet, we saved parking money using the shuttle provided by the hotel for Universal Studios, my niece ate free, and the staff was so friendly we really hated for our three day stay to end. My niece keeps asking to go back to Hollywood and stay at the hotel, and I am planning a return trip
this summer.

• Stayed July 2005
7 Thank jacal
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed April 5, 2006

We stayed at the Beverly Garland Holiday Inn on Sunday, March 26, 2006. There was four of us and the price with the advance purchase came to $136.00/per night...$155.14 with taxes. $8.00/per day to park

Service was very quick and staff was friendly. The snack/gift shop has maps, shirts, snacks and you can book tours from there...example...tour of the stars homes, the shuttle will come and pick you up from the hotel. Hotel also has a restaurant. Later at night my daughter was hungry but we didn't feel like going into the restaurant to eat or pay high prices for room service, so we decided to place an order and pick it up ourselves at the restaurant. We placed an order with the restaurant and they said you can come get it that it is ready now and by the time we walked down there, it was ready, that was nice and saved us money.

Nice, clean hotel and the location is safe (some areas in Hollywood are scary), it is close to Universal and about 5 miles from the Hollywood walk of fame and about 7-8 miles from Farmer's Market and the La Brea Tarpits.

Negatives would be... The price of the hotel (but consider the area) and the hotel could improve/update the hallways.

I was in California for about a week and stayed at other hotels if you would like to look at those reviews.

Area/Hotels:

Stayed March 2006
4 Thank mi_sapphire
PARIS, TENNESSEE
Reviewed March 15, 2006

This is a great hotel and very close to universal studios. There is free scheduled shuttle daily that takes you to universal and picks you up, as well. There is a small gift shop right inside the lobby that sells shirts, souvenirs, postcards, and even stamps to mail your postcards. They also have maps and brochures of nearby attractions and also you can buy tour tickets right here in the lobby. Any additional items you may need may also be purchased at the gift shop (tampons, cigarettes, etc.)

The restaurant on-site serves wonderful food at decent prices. We had breakfast there, it was wonderful!! The price is $11.95 per person and that includes your OJ or whatever drink you prefer. The buffet consists of scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, ham, biscuits, and several other breads, fresh fruit, and even cereal!! It was well worth the price. Also, they have a great dinner menu. I got pot roast it was about $10.00 and came with carrots and mashed potatoes. We also bought a fruit cup to go it was $2.99 and had cantaloupe, pineapples, strawberries, and grapes in it—yummie!!

The room are great and clean. Housekeeping always had it looking great when we came back from our long day out in Hollywood. The rooms all have balconies with 2 chairs outside. The rooms have coffee makers, irons, and hairdryers. The television is neat. It has nin64 games you can purchase time on. There is also pay-per-view movies and internet on you tv screen.

There is a nice heated pool, and a kiddie pool. There is also a sauna in the pool area. You have to use your hotel key to get in-so don’t forget your key!!

In the lobby, as you walk in, there is a couple of love seats right beside a flaming fireplace where you can sit and await your tour bus to pick you up.

i highly recommend this hotel!! Please email me if you have any questions for me.

• Stayed March 2006
12 Thank BeccaParis_Tennessee
Conway, Arkansas
Reviewed March 7, 2006

We stayed at Beverly Garland's Holiday Inn for 4 nights in early March of '06 as part of a Southwest tour package (4 nights hotel and air from Little Rock was about $700 for two - what a deal!). We chose this site because we wanted to "Do Hollywood" and Universal. The Hotel is about 24 miles from LAX, right at Vineland exit, and good driving directions are given on the site (note to hotel: it would be more helpful to have approximate driving distances included for each stretch). Glad we made the drive late at night - those 12 lane highways can be quite intimidating.

The property is beautifully landscaped - nice pool, but weather was cold and rainy while we were there so we didn't use it. Yes, the noise of the freeway was constant (I actually thought our balcony door was open when we entered our room), but we just cranked up the heater (yes, heater), which helped. Bed was comfortable and room was clean. We were rarely in the room during the day, and were so exhaused at night after doing Universal, Price is Right, a CBS Studio filming of "According to Jim" and Ashes and Snow exhibit (wonderful) at Santa Monica Pier (it's there only through May) that we simply collapsed at night.

A free shuttle is provided to Universal. We used it and it was right on time. Also, ate breakfast at the restaurant there one morning - excellent garden omelette - huge portions. Buffet breakfast looked great, also (about $12 including drinks). Free USA Today, free in-room coffee-maker, but NO refrigerator).

Our last night three guys manning the desk were rude when I asked for a quiet restaurant dining recommendation, but I blame this more on their young age, ignorance, and desire to "show off" for each other ("Duh - like McDonalds?"). Turns out we found a great restaurant nearby on our own - Zack's - turn left on Ventura and it's a few blocks down on right. Nothing fancy, it was QUIET, inexpensive, and had great food (Hazelnut chicken and salmon, two glasses of wine - under $50). Wish we had found it sooner.

• Stayed March 2006