“Good stay overall”

The Garland
Ranked #14 of 354 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

Our family of 5 started our spring break at the BG. The room I booked, The Directors Suite, was not what we got...large suite with two bathrooms - I had to ask for the rate adjustment and an explanation. Both should've been offered upfront. The location is great. The free shuttle to Universal is in high demand (you tend to wait with a mob). The room rates are good. The restaurant and bar are very nice. The staff is friendly. The beds need improving and the bath products are meh. The in room fridge and small shop helps make the stay comfortable.

Stayed: March 2014
Daniel M, Manager at The Garland, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2014

ADVann3

Thank you for taking the time to review us. I apologize for the inconvenience upon check in as this should have been communicated before your arrival. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed Warren's Blackboard and our friendly staff. We are in the process of a full renovation and we'll be "The Garland" early this summer. We hope you come back and try our new product.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

We spent 2 nights here and really enjoyed it. The rooms are spacious and well designed. The laundry is a plus and there is even free soap. The reception will provide quarters. The free bus to universal was a great plus point and the reception gift shop was quite reasonable in prices of refreshments. We found this to be a good hotel that had all the necessaries plus some frills.

I loved the fireplace at reception, it was quite a nice atmosphere booster. Wifi was also free which is awesome!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Alicia4Rudi

We are glad to read that you enjoyed the hotel and our facilities and we thank you for the review.
Looking forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to LA. Safe travels!

Reviewed March 4, 2014

I feel like I should write multiple reviews since I have stayed at the Beverly Garland 4 out of the past 5 weeks. I just want to give them all of the credit they are due. The rooms are always clean and comfortable, parking is reasonable by LA standards ($17 per night), WiFi is complimentary, and service is fantastic! Kylie, Vanessa and Sean are often at the front desk and so, so helpful on every visit. Olivia has assisted me by phone in the past, and so quick to retrieve a copy of a folio I forgot. I finally met her in person and she exceeded service expectations again. Great team and so supportive of each other.

Warren's Blackboard is a superior restaurant on the grounds of the hotel. Phenomenal menu...Personal favorites include the Ahi Poke, Ceviche, and Brussel Sprouts...they change things up regulary so there's always a treat. The homemade pastas are excellent, but the other fresh ingredients (vary) and sauces are tremendous. Make a reservation...this place fills up! Between lunch and dinner the main dining room closes for a bit. I was dissapointed one day when I was craving their chicken pesto panini. I went into the bar for the bar menu, sulked for a minute and ordered the the short rib sliders. WOW!!!! So glad the main room was closed so I could try these! A MUST have! Just delicious. I'm a fan of the Daou cabernet and Jessica will take great care of you in the bar, too.

The ambiance is so nice and the old movies featuring Beverly Garland are shown on the wall of the bar. The private ownership has taken great care in renovations and preserving warmth and charm that salute the esteemed actress. Well done Beverly Garland!

Room Tip: I prefer the rooms above the first floor. There are 2 buildings, but no great preference. There is...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank PaulaG1989
Daniel M, Manager at The Garland, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Thank you for the fantastic review! We will be sure to tell our associates about your kind words. It’s great to hear you enjoyed Warren’s Blackboard – we love that you appreciate our fresh and unique ingredients. We pride ourselves in our vast history and are happy to hear that you appreciate it as much as we do. We hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Great hotel really nice staff really nice place only fault was the lift it was so slow an were only on the 5th floor would have been nice for coffee making facilities in the room but I suppose the Starbucks in the lobby would make less money. The diner over the road SAMs made really good breakfast really good prices as well with very helpful staff. The hotel is a 5min walk from union square. I would stay here again

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gander86
Daniel M, Manager at The Garland, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Brian G

Thanks for the great review! I apologize you had difficulty with our elevator – but we are happy to hear the great comments on our staff. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed March 1, 2014

I loved this place. The way it has been designed feels like you are being catered to. I love the decor and the rooms. I like how in the summer time they play movies at the pool area for the guests. They have a food bar and liquor bar in the summer as well. I like the big sofa like cushions you can lay on to get some sun, and the fire place. There is an area with a sectional type patio sofa where you and your family and or friends can sit back and enjoy the day. The staff is very friendly and wanting to accommodate your needs. They have a shuttle that runs until 9:00 pm that will take you the Universal Studios and City walk. And Maria at the gift shop is very nice and knowledgeable about the area. She even gave us a map of a great little Mexican restaurant in the area. She was such a sweetheart. I had such a great time in the pool area, that we hesitated to go to Universal Studios for a while. Great place to stay!

Room Tip: I preferred staying on the ground floor near the pool.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Daniel M, Manager at The Garland, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

Dee93960

Thanks for a great review and for acknowledging Maria and our friendly staff. You are right about the pool area, you don't fell like going anywhere else. Summer time is coming soon and movies will be back at the pool! We hope to see you there!

Reviewed February 26, 2014

First time to USA, arrived at 7am, we requested an early check in and they could not accommodate us after a 15 hour flight, had to wait till 2 pm. The room was clean and the free shuttle to universal studios was a great advantage.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Liz0214
Daniel M, Manager at The Garland, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2014

Liz0214

Thank you for your review! We are sorry that we were not able to accommodate your early arrival request after a long flight. Often times our guests get the room the night before so the early arrival is guaranteed. We are glad that you took advantage of our Trolley services as it's our Super Star. Looking forward to seeing you soon!

Reviewed February 26, 2014

We stayed at the hotel for 3 nights and I must say that the hotel is conveniently located close to the highway. The hotel offers a free shuttle to the Metro and Universal Studios. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The room is spacious and comfortable. The Kids enjoyed the pool and the rest of the hotel facilities.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Alebraco

Thanks for your review. We like to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and our facilities. Our trolley is very popular and kids love it. We hope to see you back soon! Safe travels.