“Hidden gem”

Ranked #13 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
San Francisco, California
“Hidden gem”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Very nice hotel at an affordable rate. The grounds are nice and lush. The design of the hotel and rooms is modern and rustic. The bathroom was a bit small and could use a remodel but fine. The only thing missing was a safe in the room. Everything was great with a nice restaurant/lounge and complimentary and reliable shuttle service to Universal Studios. Businesses like drug stores, coffee, drive-thru restaurants are close but not walkable. Friendly staff. I will definitely stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (519)
  • Korean first
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I don't have a bad word to say about the Beverly Garland, we stayed there at the beginning of our trip and at the end in September. The hotel has lovely grounds and the pool area is nice too, the rooms were very clean and modern with free wifi access which is a must these days. Although there's not much in the near vicinity to do the restaurant on site serves top notch food and there's also a bar, if that's not enough then there is a free shuttle bus that goes to Universal city hourly which is only a 5 minute ride, we went there most nights to eat and for entertainment as there is a huge variety of restaurants, bars and shops there, the hotel is also in a very good location for visiting Hollywood, WB studios, Griffith park and observatory and a has easy access onto the 101 freeway which will get you to most places. The staff at the hotel can't do enough for you, they were always very helpful and very friendly making our stay very pleasurable. In conclusion I would definitely recommend this hotel to stay at.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for 6 nights and had a great welcome from the reception team. Jessica was a great help in getting us settled she advised us where to eat nightlife in the area. It was currently happy hour when we stayed in Tulas bar the cocktails where amazing especially the food.

We also had the pleasure of dining here for breakfast and dinner and was not disappointed the breakfast buffet great value for money.

The staff where also helpful in the sense of helping us get around Los Angeles if visiting would recommend hiring a car.

The rooms where also a great size and got cleaned daily.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed October 19, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for three nights. The property was attractive with lush vegetation and layout. Pool was centrally located and they had early evening outdoor family films. The hot tub was a welcome addition. They offer a trolley service to Universal City. We enjoyed two dinners...Wolfgang Puck and Karl Strauss Brewing Company...really good!
My only disappointment was I had reserved a king room but they only had doubles available. We arrived on a late flight so there was no choice. I would have appreciated some type of consideration...perhaps a restaurant or parking voucher??
Overall, I would reccomend this property.

1 Thank gboys
Daniel M, Manager at The Garland, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Gboys
Thanks for your review and for considering us a "Lovely spot" in Los Angeles. We are glad that you were able to enjoy our facilities and services.
I'd like to apologize for not being able to honor your King bed request and for not extending any kind of compensation for the inconvenience. Your comments help us get better and prevent this from happening to other guests. Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 19, 2013

My week at the Beverly Garland was one of the best parts of my recent vacation in the USA. The hotel is very well appointed and has great facilities. Breakfast at Tula's Restaurant was amazing and the staff were so friendly. The location of the hotel is easy access to the freeway and the sights of Hollywood. The free shuttle to Universal Studios was handy.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the car park in either of the buildings will have more traffic noise from the freeway...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Wisconsin
Reviewed October 16, 2013

My son and I spent 4 nights. The grounds are beautiful and we thought the staff was very friendly. We even got a tip on how to save money on our parking. It is in a convenient location but no fast food within easy walking distance,

The room was adequate. However, a huge cobweb was clearly visible on the ceiling and we could see where the floor wasn't vacuumed. One day we were gone from 8 AM until 4 PM and our room was not made up. Around 5 PM housekeeping stopped by to see if we wanted service.

For the money it as ok but I will probably upgrade next time.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Daniel M, Manager at The Garland, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Icma45:
It's great that you acknowledge the friendliness of our staff, our beautiful grounds and convenient location. I am sorry to hear about your housekeeping experience and I thank you for bringing it to our attention so we can focus on it.
Looking forward to seeing you soon !
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 13, 2013

After reading all of the other reviews and hearing reviews from my clients back in Australia (I work in the travel industry), I thought we were in for a real treat.

Well what a major disappointment from start to finish.

First of all, we booked on the IHG website (I am an IHG rewards member) a king bed pool view with balcony. Upon check-in we were informed that they had sold out and gave us a twin bed carpark view room. I said this as not what I booked and the very rude receptionist said that it was the same price so it doesn't matter. Well it does matter!!! I booked and paid in full for the king bed pool view room but since they were fully booked and we had prepaid, we had no choice but to accept what was given to us. And this is lateish on a Thursday night (after being delayed from Las Vegas) so we were not about to try and find somewhere else that was suitable.

Upon check-out, another very rude receptionist told us that she would charge our credit card on file for the stay. I said no we have prepaid and she said that she couldn't find any record of that. I insisted that she look again and five minutes later, oh there our payment was. Clear incompetence.

The food in our included breakfast was great...the only bright spark during this stay. But since we had a voucher for breakfast and we were already prepaid, the service was pretty appalling. Obviously they didn't think we would leave a tip since we didn't have a bill to pay for so we had to get cutlery off other tables, ask for coffee twice and milk twice also. No service whatsoever.

I definitely WOULD NOT stay here again and NOT recommend this hotel to anyone and as a travel agent in Australia who sells this hotel quite a bit, I will NEVER recommend it to any of my clients ever again.

2 Thank brent_kate
Daniel M, Manager at The Garland, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Brent_Kate:

As you may see in our reviews we are not too used to get one like yours. I profusely apologized for this experience that should have never happened. I feel really shocked to read your review but it helps us get better and focus on our service more consistently.
We are taking action as we speak and we want to make sure it doesn't happen to anybody else.
If there is any way I can get in touch with you it would be great. I completely understand that you don't trust our hotel but I assure you that we can recover from this and get it right on your next visit. Looking forward to hearing from you.