“Room Clean But Dated; Staff Friendly”
Review of The Garland

The Garland
Ranked #14 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Keep in mind, this is an older property. Overall the room was clean (housekeeping did forget the wash cloths when they made up the room) and the beds comfortable. We were next to the freeway, and as long as you keep the slider closed you can't hear the noise. The breakfast buffet at Tula's was reasonable and had a good selection of items (bagels and lox, fruit, oatmeal, eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes and waffles), they even offered to make eggs for me if I wanted something other than scrambled. The staff was friendly, even when I told them maintenance needed to fix the AC cover (it came off in my hand) and the bathroom ceiling which was peeling over the shower (there's no fan). The free shuttle to Universal Studios was a plus.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not next to the freeway.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Scott M, General Manager at The Garland, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

LuvtoGo_13: Thanks for your feedback and positive points about our friendly staff, quiet rooms, and wonderful breakfast options. We understand your concerns on the room condition and are currently going through all rooms to make sure this issue is not repeated. We also are in process of planning a full room renovation that will completely upgrade all rooms. Glad you hopped on our very popular complimentary trolley!

Reviewed July 14, 2013

We loved this hotel. It was not far from the metro which was great . The hotel has a lovely bar. And restaurant. It also has a nice pool where children can watch a movie on a large screen in the evening, while they are in the pool. The staff are friendly and helpful, we arrived a day early and they let us have a suite for the price of a double room for that night which was really nice. The manager is very helpful. I would have loved to have stayed longer at this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tripperBelfast
Reviewed July 14, 2013

This hotel is located just off the highway and is very family friendly, with kids' movies by the pool each night. Free shuttle service to Universal Studios was an added bonus. Rooms could use a bit of upgrading and the beds are on the smaller side. Nice bar and restaurant on site.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

i stayed here for 2 nights durin a recent trip to the usa.
by far was it the nicest hotel i stayed in during my entire trip.
the hotel staff couldnt be any nicer or friendlier.
pool is lovely n relaxin with a lovely pool bar with gorgous refreshing cocktails to cool down and scrumscious food.
I'd most definatly return to this hotel in the future.:)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I took my 17 year old son, and his 17 year old friend to L.A. to go to Universal Studios and Warner Bros. Initially booked the kids suite with a queen bed, realized that more space may be needed since traveling with two monsters over 6 feet tall and changed to the deluxe kids suite with the King sized bed.

Hotel is super easy to find (especially considering I'd never driven surface streets in North Hollywood). Check in was very quick and professional. Front desk is warm and friendly. Was greeted by a manager (I believe) who welcomed me and told me the wait wouldn't be too long for a clerk. Great customer service.

I joined the rewards club for the HI group, so got a discount on my parking but I didn't mind paying regardless because parking was safe and required a parking key to access the parking lot.

The property is stunning. Tall trees everywhere, and even the teenagers were impressed with how serene and beautiful it was.

Our room was fantastic. Impeccably cleaned, large spaces, and enough privacy between kids' area and mine so I didn't feel conspicuous laying in bed. Bunk beds were great! Fit my boys and they slept very well and were very happy with their area.

Walls are block, so we had ZERO noise from anywhere. I know there were other people there, but it was so quiet that you'd never know it. Makes it even more relaxing. Beds all comfortable. Good pillows too!

Furniture in this particular room included, a small couch (hide-a-bed) with two end tables and a coffee table; and a chair and ottoman. Both used extensively for relaxing and watching TV. Also had a four seat dining table which we used the last night we were there to eat room service.

Room service excellent. Fellow that delivered was extraordinarily nice and fun to talk with (he was a Raiders fan, so we lamented our team's troubles). Food was very good - we all polished off our meals.

Bathroom is small, but for the three of us it was fine. I don't need a huge bathroom. I find it more convenient to have everything handy - especially when I'm traveling and not in my comfort zone of home. Bathroom appeared to be updated and suited our purposes well.

There are lights everywhere in the room, but when all lit up gave a comfy glow - not harsh. Fridge and microwave were both used to store/prepare drinks and food. There is also a tea/coffee machine but we didn't use it.

To wrap it up, we would definitely stay here again if coming to this area. You pay what you get for, and although on the high end of room rates for the level of hotel, well worth the price paid.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank CGTraveler
Reviewed July 11, 2013

we took my granddaughter to Universal for her eighth grade graduation present. She and a friend had their own room....the hotel advertised free shuttle to the park...that saved parking, stress, and gas. the facility is older, rooms need some remodeling, BUT, the staff was great, pool is lovely, with kids movies at night, poolside bar/restaurant, a great gift shop, wonderful restaurant, and the grounds are full of plants and flowers....there's outside seating for small groups, with space heaters, under cabanas. As everyone else says, get a room that doesn't face hwy. 101--that could be noisy. We had no issues. Each room has a little patio with chairs, and flat screened tv's inside. my only complaint---more coffee packets in the rooms. (coffee machines are for individual cups, and they give you two packets)..I'm sure we could have asked for more, but we didn't.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

Very helpful staff and we got our room quickly. Easily located off the highway with free shuttle service to the Metro and Universal Studios. We stayed in the "Portico" building, older but clean. Beds aren't too hard or soft. The pool area is great and my nephew loved the "movie by the pool" offering. I had the Best 4 Breakfast package and enjoyed TuLa's restaurant. Kids 12 and younger eat free under kids menu.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family