“Cozy and nice ambience”

The Garland
Ranked #15 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I have recently stayed here with my family from Dec 28, 2012 to Jan 1 2013. We've enjoyed the experience and we're quite happy with the room as it was nice and comfy. I really love the location because it's just 5-10 minutes away from Universal Studios and they even provide a free shuttle bus to and from Universal Studios.
The only thing which was a drawback for me was having to stay at the building named Portola, we had to walk outside to reach the front desk and the breakfast area. As it was raining during the days we've stayed, it was quite a hassle especially with a 4-yr old child walking through the cold weather and the rain. The heater in the room was a little bit noisy too. But overall, it was a great experience and would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (3,183)

Reviewed January 2, 2013

I arrived here for 4 nights with my family (husband and two boys aged 7 and 9) after travelling for 24 hours from australia! Was great to be welvcomed warmly and with an earlier check in which was just what we needed!!!! Room was great value for money, had the kids suite with bunks which gave us a little privacy. The location was great and staff were more than happy to offer directions or suggestions for things to do around the place. Overall extreamly happy with all aspects and will definately stay again and recommend to others.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank julie5350
Reviewed December 30, 2012

After a long delayed flight from Atlanta I finally arrived at the wonderful hotel..traveling with twins isn't easy at all I just wanted to check in and put the twins to sleep. My check in was very fast and smooth a guest service rep named Anna checked me in.. she was very friendly and welcoming wonderful customer service... wonderful hotel Ill be back soon.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank MissGapeachtoo
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Bathroom slightly dated, but clean. Used the laundromat which was spotless and the space was very useful. Other than freeway noise, I heard no other noise. The boutique offers some nice items and extras. Well within comfortable walking distance of a Ralphs, Rite Aid, Starbucks and restaurants.
Bottled water in the rooms would be a nice touch and much appreciated as would a light continental breakfast.

Overall great value and location. Enjoyed the ambiance and character of the property. Felt safe at all times, and will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Through fault of my own, i booked the wrong date for our stay from HotelClub, showed up a month early, was told there was no refund and no more rooms with two beds.. Before stuff hit the fan, Karla(hotel mgr) not only helped us check in, but she excelled her customer service by walking us and helping us with HotelClub and accommodating us for a goodnight rest at The Beverly Garland Holiday Inn... Gotta say our night couldve ended terrible, thanks to Karla, it turned out great!!! Thanks Karla

Room Tip: Check in Directly through Holiday Inn and check YOUR DATES!!!!
1  Thank Manuel L
Reviewed December 27, 2012

This hotel tried really hard to help us in a bad situation. We had actually made reservations at a different hotel that turned out to be nothing that it's website promised. The staff at this hotel worked hard to accomodate our family.

The negatives were: No free breakfast and the restaurant is very expensive, no free parking, the bathroom was VERY small and we were in a "suite". We stayed for two nights, we told the staff that we did not need complete maid service, but would like clean towels and the blanket (which we got from the closet) for the rollaway was dirty when we took it out of the closet and we needed a clean blanket. The cleaning staff brought in new towels and a clean blanket, but didn't bother to remove any of the dirty ones.

The positives: The staff was very friendly and for the most part helpful. There is a shuttle to and from Universal Studio. The grounds are clean. The hotel was in a nice area and we felt safe and secure.

Reviewed December 26, 2012

There has been a gap of 8 years since staying at Beverly Garland's Holiday Inn. In 2004 the property was in need of a renovation to breath life back into a hotel that had good bones.

I recently stayed for 2 nights (December 2012) and immediately noted that there had been a refurbishment which initially looked impressive but on closer inspection noted that the place had really only been "gussied up".

The room was nice-ish but still retained original bathroom fixtures. Trying to control water pressure and temperature was a balancing act. Of more concern was the fact that there was no in room safe. This should be standard for hotels nowadays. I did appreciate the coffee maker though.

Noise can be a slight problem given that the hotel backs onto a major highway. Perhaps the installation of double glazing could be considered.

The location is of course is convenient for those wishing to visit Universal Studios and the hotel provides a regular complimentary shuttle service. This shuttle will also on request drop guests at the Metro Station. I was told that they would also pick you up from the Metro if you called them ahead and it linked to a scheduled service.

Having spent a day walking about shops I called and asked if I could be collected at the Metro. I did this 45 minutes ahead and was told that the shuttle would swing past. I sat and watched as the bus went passed me to Universal Studios expecting that it would collect me on its return which it didn't. I was forgotten and ended up having to walk, not that the distance is great but it was far enough at the end of a long day.

The hotel is a 5 minute walk to a well equipped strip mall which has a large Ralphs Supermarket, Pharmacy and Starbucks. You are also within easy reach (15 minutes) from Tajunga Avenue which has lovely shops and cafes including my favourite Aroma which does great coffee.

The best thing about this hotel is the staff. They were all very friendly and professional. The lady who checked me in was especially lovely.

The hotel certainly has a lovely atmosphere, the public areas have a lodge feel to them, sadly the stone fireplace has been painted a drab grey/blue in an attempt to modernise the look. Wrong. The architecture and internal design should not be tampered with, it is what makes this hotel unique

I believe this hotel has the potential to be the best in North Hollywood. It's competition, the Sheraton and Hilton are both large convention styled hotels and quite generic. Beverly Garland's Holiday Inn just needs to address some of the minor issues that I have noted for it become a solid and reliable choice.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo