“Nice hotel at affordable price”
Review of Mikado Hotel

Mikado Hotel
Ranked #141 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
New York City
“Nice hotel at affordable price”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Our friend recommended the Mikado. It was a very nice basic hotel, everything was very clean. The free breakfast was a nice perk, and there was a microwave & fridge in the room which was very useful. Our balcony overlooked a pretty Japanese garden. My only complaint was the noise. Whenever the rooms next to (or below) us took a shower this strange hissing in the pipes would wake us up since it was quite loud, and everyone seemed to shower at 4 am! LOL But we did NOT hear any voices or other typical hotel noises from the room next door. We also did not hear the traffic at all even though our room was facing the main street. (we were on the 2nd floor, which reminds me there was no elevator but there was a wheelchair lift attached to the stairs if you need it) We stayed for 4 nights, and I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kara S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Mooloolaba
Reviewed April 11, 2012

I was pleased this hotel suited my needs for work. the room had a good desk area, free wifi, and a Japanese restaurant attached, which was of very good standard, whether sushi bar or table service.
Noise was a problem the Saturday night with a party, carrying on loudly.The rooms face onto a courtyard.... So my ear plugs came in handy!

For work I needed to be close to Dinair- 53 Canyon Blvd, so chose this hotel as it was the closest-a 1.6 miles walk. As I had no idea where it was, Ruella in reception kindly found this out, and drew me a mud map, allaying my concerns, for the next days workshop. I walked it, but elected to get $7US taxi there (which she rang for me) in the mornings, but nice long walk back if I wished.
All in all, a good choice for my needs and I booked through Webjet Hotels using their discount savings and got $78. off.

Room Tip: Request a downstairs room, like No 29, if you have luggage to haul up the flight of stairs.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
North Hollywood, ca
Reviewed March 19, 2012

Our family got a room, dropped off some items in it and went to our car to get more items. We had to park a ways off from the room since there was no front area parking. We got back to the room and there was a guy in it. It turned out the hotel clerk gave us keys for another customer's room. Our room was the one next to the man's room. Our room was clean, but the bathroom layout was awful. The bathroom door verily closed with 1/4" or less door to toilette gap when closing door. The bathroom had some weird wood add on to the bathroom sink that took space and made the bathroom look even weirder. Hardly any parking in the front and if you got a room in the front you had to park in the back because of the restaurant customers. One night I got back to the hotel after 9 pm with my wife and kids and we had to park on the back. The back door that led to the lobby or to the area that ed to my room was locked. A little sign on it stated the door got locked at 9 pm. We had to walk all the way around the hotel to get to our room. This was not nice on a cold and rainy night. The jacuzzi did not heat up. When I complained about the door and jacuzzi I was given a hotel review form. I'm not sure that they really cared about my complaint.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank R H

Travelers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Reviewed March 13, 2012

The first night my friends and I arrived to LA, we stayed in inglewood. My friend made a mistake on the location of a hotel provided by Priceline. Anyway this hotel here is paradise in comparison to the inglewood place. I reccomend to anyone... Being that la was my dream place, this hotel just makes me want to start my life there!!!!

• Stayed April 2011
3 Thank Clarencemurphy
Reviewed February 23, 2012

My family and I were visiting Universal Studios Hollywood and my husband booked this place threw hotel's.com the pictures are very misleading on the Internet. The rooms seemed pretty decent in the photos but we were unpleasantly surprised! The place had glass shutter window leading to the balcony 2 of the glasses were compleatly missing. The carpet was filthy it seemed like it had not been cleaned in years found several open staples and hair on the carpet. The bathroom sink had hairs in it. The lamp covers were so dusty! My whole family started itching all over non stop! This place is so old and nasty I don't know why it has any good reviews at all! Thankfully we checked out that same night. FYI don't book threw Hotels. Com they have the worst customer service ever! Spent more than 3.5 hrs trying to get them to change our hotel with no luck!

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank Maninky
Dana Point, California
Reviewed December 22, 2011

Either the construction was done or we were just lucky on a Friday night/Saturday morning, but we had no problems with loud noise. The location is great, just off of the 101, but not so close that you hear the cars. It's also close to good restaurants and shopping and Universal but you didn't have to pay an arm and a leg for your room. The room is a reasonable size, clean, and comfortable. The guy at the front desk was friendly and accommodating. It was too late and chilly to use the pool, but the area looked inviting and not so small that you'd be bumping into folks if you used it. My only complaint was entrance into the hotel from the back parking area was down a steep flight of stairs that was difficult for my elderly mother to handle. I don't think they had any handicapped accessible rooms either.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Portland
Reviewed November 26, 2011

The best part of this property is the swimming pool and hot tub. Downsides include a breakfast buffet in a building separate from the hotel (without the ability to take a tray back to your room) and rather strange access to one's room from the lobby, especially later in the evening. But it is adequate as a place to stay on the north side of L.A.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo