“A Weekend Getaway”

Ranked #66 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Las Vegas, Nevada
“A Weekend Getaway”
Reviewed December 22, 2013

Just returned from a 2 night stay at the LAX Airport Marriott. I am a SIlver Elite Member this year but have been a Loyal Marriott customer for a number of years.

PROS: I needed a wheelchair accessible room and when I arrived the Front Desk Agent was able to explain in detail the difference between the types of accessible rooms they had. We opted for a 2 Queen Accessible Tub Option on the 5th floor. A roll in shower was available but not yet ready. The room was oversized and had a balcony that faced the pool. The Balcony was wide enough that you could actually enjoy it. Wonderful.

We ate in one of the hotel restaurants, Latitude 313. We ordered a Western Cheeseburger and a Chicken Quesadilla, the food came fast and the service was attentive.

The fitness center was plentiful and had nice touches like a complementary fresh fruit bar and a water station that served chilled grapefruit infused water.

The hot tub was nice and warm. Not too hot and not too cold. I Didn't feel dizzy after being in it for 5 minutes.

The Front Desk Manager was able to give us a late 3pm checkout at no additional charge.

The Starbucks employees were able to give us raw sugar packets and half and half for the room at no charge.

We used the "At Your Service" button to request a toothbrush and toothpaste, extra bathroom soap, shampoo and conditioner and extra coffee packets and they came quickly.

Cons:

- The Front Desk Agent was not able to rush the request of the Roll in Shower room and stated that if I wanted a Roll in Shower I could check hourly to see if one with two queen beds would be ready. However, she said it could take up to 4 hours. (I arrived at 11am, Check in was 3 or 4)

- The Front Desk Manager working at check in came to speak with me after I requested to have the incidentals blocked from my room. This is a request that was able to be honored numerous times over the years without incident. I had even called the night before and checked with the agent working the desk at night to see if this would be a problem and they stated it would not be. The Front Desk Agent had to check with the Front Desk Manager who told me in turn that if any incidentals were charged to the room that we would be locked out of the room. I can understand why they do that given the nature of the hotel (airport hotel with tons of crew check in and check outs and airline passengers getting stranded overnight with vouchers) but as an elite customer that was not how I expected to be treated.

- Housekeeping did not service our room. It was not a big deal because we were only there two nights but I did check with the maid as we were leaving in the afternoon and let her know we would like service.

- Only two packets of coffee were given in the In-Room Coffee Maker, one of which was regular. At Your Service was able to give us additional regular packets of coffee, however, it was an inconvenience.

- Thann Bath Products were used in the room, even though Bath and Body Works products were advertised on the website.

- There was no wheelchair accessible lift into the hot tub even though on the website it was advertised that there were lifts into all pool areas of the hotel.

- The water station in the Fitness Center the 2nd day we used it was jammed with so much fruit it was nearly impossible to get water out of it.

Overall, a good trip. Although the cons seemed to be nitpicky, they add up for someone who uses Marriott hotels. I used them a lot over the years, although not in the past three years or so. However, in 2014, I intend for them to be my hotel of choice. I'm also less nitpicky as this was a leisure trip and not a business trip.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 1st-5th Floor have balconies that face the pool.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
GeneralManager39, General Manager at Los Angeles Airport Marriott, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Thank you very much for being a loyal guest and member of our Rewards program. I appreciate you staying with us and taking the time to write this review; I am sure it will be helpful to other guests. I look forward to seeing you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (495)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Boca Raton, FL
Reviewed December 22, 2013

Spending a week at the LAX Marriott was tough. While the staff was friendly and nice, the location of the Marriott was frustrating in that there is truly nothing around it. The saving grace was there is a bus stop near the hotel, although going to Santa Monica Pier was a trip over an hour long and certainly not worth it. In addition, the quality of the hotel restaurant food was sub-par and over-priced. Of course, it was my employer's fault for picking the location and then providing a per diem that didn't come close to covering the expense of a coffee, simple lunch or dinner in the hotel. That being said, the hotel does have a lovely pool area and as I said, the hotel staff was outgoing and welcoming.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
I regret that you didn’t speak to our concierge that could have pointed out just how centrally located we are. Additionally, there are several dining choices very close by and even for those on a very tight budget. Thank you for the staff compliments, we do strive to make your stay a nice one. I hope you’ll be able to stay with us again.
Sunapee, New Hampshire
Reviewed December 22, 2013

I'm a platinum Marriott rewards member and have been a pretty faithful stayer at the LAX Marriott going back nearly 20 years. But after a five year hiatus, my most recent experience says its time to move on. Lowlights:

One hour (!) to get from the arrivals area of Terminal 4 (American Airlines) to the check in desk! Everyone last Tuesday night (12/17/13) saw three or four shuttles for every other hotel go by while we waited for the first Marriott shuttle to go by. Then when checking in, the front desk clerk seemed indifferent to this unacceptable amount of time to wait.

Two times I checked in this week and neither person checking me greeted me as a returning guest nor mentioned the concierge lounge location or hours.

No free internet in my room despite being platinum elite!

Turns out there is free coffee in the room, but they are hiding the coffee maker making it hard to find.

The rooms have always been small with very tiny bathrooms.

$200 a night for this privilege!

Champion's sports bar menu is way worse than it was 10 years ago!

The general manager of the LAX Marriott should go stay at the Boston Logan Hilton to see how to run a proper airport hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
GeneralManager39, General Manager at Los Angeles Airport Marriott, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
I appreciate you being a loyal guest of Marriott hotels and regret to hear about your recent stay with us. I am sending you a private message right now.
United States
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Okay, to be fair, the common areas and restaurant on the mail level have been refurbished. Otherwise, this property, both from the exterior and in the rooms needs updating. As I saw it in the distance, I thought it might be closed given the blighted look. I have higher expectations for Marriott.

The location is great, the staff is friendly and well trained and for one night in need of staying near LAX for an early morning business flight, this hotel would suffice.

It wasn't a bad experience but I would try something else the next visit.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
GeneralManager39, General Manager at Los Angeles Airport Marriott, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for your feedback. We take great pride in our staff, and I am glad they were friendly and attentive to your needs.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed December 2, 2013

The hotel is in a great location and east access to everywhere I had to go in SoCal. As a person who has been in the hotel business for over 11 years now I really want to say thank you to your staff. I work at a JW Marriott in Colorado and the service your staff provided made feel as if I was staying at my hotel. Every single associate said hello or have a great day. I couldn't walk from my room to the front drive without atleast 6 different people saying hello or can I help you. The Desk clerks and Bellman were extremely kind and helped me out in a city I haven't been to in 4 years. I am planning another trip to see some more hockey and a friend who lives in Huntington Beach and will stay at this hotel even though there are hotels closer to where I need to be. See you soon.

Ken T

Room Tip: Get a room that faces the pool area.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Ken T
GeneralManager39, General Manager at Los Angeles Airport Marriott, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Hi Ken, thank you for your review and for staying with us. I really appreciate your comments and look forward to having you stay with us again. Enjoy the hockey games and visit with your friends!
Wailuku, Hawaii
Reviewed December 2, 2013

From the moment I stepped into the Hotel I felt special. The front desk and lobby attendants were friendly and willing to assist me. The in room dining was superb.The manager on duty was Joel Moser and he is doing a fine job.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and will be sure to let Joel and his manager know your thoughts. I look forward to having you stay with us again in the future.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 1, 2013

I attended a convention at this hotel, and never had to leave the hotel at all. I was pleasantly surprised that the parking was as easy as it was. When the exterior lot filled, they had convention visitors park underground where there is additional parking via the valet (but not at valet pricing due to the convention discount). The check in was smooth, the room clean and comfortable, with easy access to fitness room, business center, and restaurant. The staff were extremely attentive and helpful.

Regarding the convention facilities, I have attended conventions elsewhere in the Los Angeles area, and have always found the layout of the LAX Marriott to be the best of any hotel convention facilities. The rooms are all on one floor for the convention activities, with the meeting rooms on a separate floor for quiet and easy access. Everything is clearly labeled and has excellent access for the handicapped.

The convention floor has internet access, as do the rooms. The cleaning staff is available to clean rooms as soon as you go out in the morning, so you don't have to be concerned about returning early to be interrupted by maids desiring to clean as you are working. The restaurant has a varied menu, and there is a Starbucks in the lobby, urns of cold water in the hallways of the convention floor, and frequent shuttles to and from the airport.

The hotel has a large pool in a central courtyard, and rooms either face it, or outward toward Century Boulevard to the south, another hotel facade to the west, businesses to the north, or a large, commercial parking structure to the east. There's a business center, with printers and, I believe, fax facilities, though I did not use the fax. It's on the lobby level.

Nearby, within walking distance, is a Carl's Jr. Between the hotel and the airport is Sepulveda Boulevard, and north on Sepulveda, less than a mile, is a grocery store and a Trader Joe's. Access to and from the freeway is easy for those who hire a car or drive to the hotel.

(for purposes of this review, I did not use the spa)

The hotel serves a diverse patronage, from airline staff, international travelers, to local vacationers and business people. The entire staff seems to anticipate needs before there are problems, and resolves any issues promptly. These folks are true professionals, and I would definitely recommend this hotel for those reasons.

Room Tip: South facing rooms may pick up airport noise or noise from the street. If you are a light sleeper, y...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
GeneralManager39, General Manager at Los Angeles Airport Marriott, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
I appreciate your feedback and am pleased to hear about the great stay you had at our hotel. I certainly hope you choose to come back and stay with us again.