“Good hotel for a short stay”

Los Angeles Airport Marriott
Ranked #61 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
Lucerne, Switzerland
“Good hotel for a short stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2012

We have spent one night in the Mariott. We had a nice comfortable room with pool-view.
The beds were very comfortable. It is not anymore the most modern hotel but it is clean. We had booked this hotel via internet incl breakfast. Good value for the money paid.
The free shuttle bus from the airport to the hotel is convenient,
We will stay another night end of next week before flying to Europe,

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Eveline T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (469)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the Marriott LAX during a company conference in May, 2012. The hotel is very close to the LAX airport, and I took the complimentary hotel shuttle which was a 5 minute drive. The outside of the hotel was very clean and well kept, however the exterior of the building itself looked very old and dated. This hotel has 18 floors, and the interior lobby and checkin desks were very updated. You could tell immediately that this was a full-service hotel with the numerous bell hops and attendants around the premises.

There is a Starbucks in the lobby, as well as three other restaurants in the hotel. My room was updated somewhat with a flat screen LCD TV, granite top bathroom vanity, and updated toilet and bathtub, but the room itself seemed small compared to other hotels I've stayed at over the years. The furniture is also dated, and there was no refrigerator. But don't get me wrong, the room was comfortable and was odor-free.

There's wired Internet access in my room, as well as WiFi (the charge is $14.95 per day, but mine was complimentary due to my company's conference). The Internet speed was pretty good, as Speednet.net showed 7.75 Mbps download and 3.5 Mbps upload.

The conference rooms and staffing were excellent, as well as the food served for lunch at the conference. Very comfortable environment.

One thing to note is that there are no restaurants within walking distance of the hotel, so you either eat at one of the eateries inside the hotel or take a cab to some where nearby. My group decided to do this, and took a cab to Manhattan Beach and ate at one of the restaurants by the pier (cab ride was $23 one way).

From what I learned later, parking at this hotel is $25 per day so be prepared. In all, this was a good conference hotel and might be good for an overnight business trip stop over, but I wouldn't recommend staying here for a vacation trip.

• Stayed May 2012
Central Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2012

I travel to California from the East Coast at least twice a year with my husband or friends to visit my son. We've stayed at numerous hotels but for a quick stay we often choose the Marriott Hotel at the LAX airport. Usually our stays included 2 weekends in a row with assorted travel in between outside of LA. The hotel is convenient, close to the beach areas, has a fairly good breakfast and very reasonably priced especially for California standards. My first stay about 3 years ago was outstanding for the money. The room was relatively modern with a flat panel HD TV and updated bathroom. The concierge was outstanding and very accommodating. The beds were always comfortable. However, each subsequent stay was more and more disappointing and just getting worse. I guess I did not realize there were some pretty awful rooms with horrid views. This seemed strange especially since I always asked for the same accommodations! Now I only see one small sink in a small room with closets that could not hold even a weekend of clothes. The van to the airport had a line with a 15 minute wait for a second van. The concierge was no where to be found. The housekeeping even made our bed with the TV controller still inside the sheets. The room was noisey although the bed was still comfortable. The staff at the breakfast was pleasant and the food was ok although overpriced if you had not prepaid with the room. I do remember that I was in a different part of the hotel for my last visits. Try to stay close to the pool--they probably changed the rates for those rooms. The tower rooms on the lower floors definitely need a little more TLC. Unless you are willing to stay in a upper end 2 star hotel, I would look elsewhere for a little more money. Marriott, I am surprised at you!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank RockoFinder
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2012

Stayed twice recently within a short period and in general rather disappointed with the place since my last stay. Location is still great for early morning or late arrival from LAX, though I have feeling that the frequency of the hotel shuttle has reduced from my last visit. On both occasion arrived without any feeling of being welcomed even when checking in at the Elite desk, , all very formal and business-like. No recognition as an Elite member. Worst of all in the weekends when the Concierge lounge is close, nothing offered as a compensation. The last time was offered at least some discount vouchers. Second visit, had a package sent to the hotel and was surprised to be charged 10USD for having the package kept for 1 day prior to my check-in. Gives the feeling that everything is about money. To sum up, a good place near LAX, but don't expect much even as an Elite. Do not see any advantage to stay here if another non full-service Marriott is available at a cheaper price.

Room Tip: For aviation fans, get one facing the airport for good views.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
brisbane
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2012

Requested a high floor......ended up on 6th floor. Great view of the Air conditioning unit of the building behind the hotel.

-No aeroplane noise
-Hotel room comfortable enough for an overnight. Bed and pillows were good.
-airconditioning cold but rumbled
-Bathroom- small and a low ceiling. At 6'2" it made me feel a bit closed in. No hot water to start with.
Next day I had hot water. Shower head loose in wall and had to bend to get under it.

Very noisy room. Between people talking in the corridors and kids running up and down I didnt get much sleep. (went to bed at 9pm). Then in the early hours of the morning someone services the soft drink machine next to my room . They werent quiet at all !

This is serviced by the free buses from LAX and is less than 5 minutes drive.

I arrived at 7am and was advised room wasnt available - fair enough as I was early. Asked to come back at 12 and it should be ready. Concierge was helpful enought and sol me a ticket to the trolley bus tour that departs almost outside. turns out that didnt leave until 9am so had 2 hours to kill. If you have nothing to do then do the tour- cheap and fills in time. Alternatively take the big blue bus to Santa Monica.

Stay here again ? depends on price. Nicer (but smaller) rooms than the Radison LAX but a lot more expensive.

Room Tip: asking for a high floor didnt help....so take ear plugs
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2012

We got automatically upgraded to a pool-side balcony room, which was nice. Although, we really weren't in our room long enough to enjoy anything about it, other than dropping our luggage, sleeping, a walk through the pool area, and the free shuttle service to LAX.

The three of us had just been on a Cruise, so it was a relief to be in a "normal" sized hotel room. We had 2 double beds (Queen?) My sister didn't like the mattress, but I thought mine was alright.
Air conditioning and heating worked fine, which was a relief, as late April 2012 was actually quite cold and windy in southern California.
The pool was a nice view.

We used the free shuttle service 4 times, because we used the Flyaway bus service at LAX for a day out in LA. Getting to the Airport seemed alot easier and didn't take long both times. But going from the airport to the Hotel was another story -- both times. It was easily a 20-25 minute wait or more both times. And each time it's alot of chaos at the airport, because you're constantly looking for the bus to come by. Apparently the bus service is a pooled bus service for all hotels, and only one of the buses goes to the Marriott, so you have to look out for it, which further adds to frantic staring at every bus that goes by for 20 minutes straight at the airport, with tons of other buses, shuttles, cars and taxis whooshing by.
We were at terminal 1, which means the shuttle service goes to every other terminal in the airport to pick up more people. We ended up at the hotel easily a half hour later. It would be maybe a 2-3 minute taxi ride. The shuttle service is free, but if your time is worth more than 5 cents per hour, don't bother with the free shuttle. If there is more than 3 or 4 of you, just grab a cab. It'll be worth it.

I heard this comment several times -- LAX needs a public transportation system, like a LRT or subway or monorail that goes down Century Blvd that could efficiently, quickly and easily service all the hotels. I live in Vancouver, BC, Canada, and our cities public subway goes all the way into the airport, from downtown. It's extremely convenient, and cheap. I can go all the way to the airport from downtown for $2.50. The trains have lots of space for your luggage. Someone told me it's the oil and gas companies in LA that have power over that not happening in LAX. Write letters to your politicians and make noise.

Back to the Marriott.
Shower water was hard and not nice on the skin, but that's not Marriott's fault, I'm sure it's the City of LA's water supply.
Of course all Hotels haved jumped onto the "user pay" Wi-fi system, rather than letting their customers free service, which sucks. Funny that Starbucks offers free wi-fi service to people sipping a $5 latte, but a hotel charging $130 a night can't offer free wi-fi? No free wi-fi here :(. We wanted to check-in online to our flight, and we were forced to use the Business center. It was like 40 cents a minute for computer usage. Which is alot when you work it out.

Checking out in the morning was easy. We did the express checkout -- I think that's what it was called. Just a simple phone call to the front desk and we just left out cards in the hotel room and we left! Simple!

We had no issues. Usually when I research a hotel, I want to know if it has bed bug reports. We are happy to say we didn't have any. I'm usually suspect when I read a review and it's all "oooh, it has bed bugs". Then you realize it's one of the hotel managers on his break on the internet just making lies about another hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2012

Stayed there From 4/29/12-05/02/12 Everyone There Was Great They Treated You Like Family.Anything You Needed Or Asked forThey Were With It And a Friendly Smile.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business