“Great Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #108 of 349 Hotels in Los Angeles
Dunedin, New Zealand
“Great Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

I over nighted in LA recently. The Travelodge was a comfortable hotel especially for the price. The rooms were clean and tidy and in spite of being so close to the Airport I had a comfortable nights sleep.

I was annoyed that the shuttle driver refused to take me to the Airport to meet someone off a later flight being told I would be too early however he never sat on his backside doing nothing. He was working hard helping people with their luggage etc. This leads me to my only real critisim and that is the staff are over worked and therefore customer care does suffers.

A big bonus is that Denny's is part of the hotel complex. Reasonable food, heaps of coffee and at a reasonable price. And with great service too.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the ground floor by the pool.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Mark W
Michael19490_10, Manager at Travelodge Hotel LAX Los Angeles Intl, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Regrettably due to the ebb and flow of guests arriving and checking out, there are times when the pace of work is somewhat hectic...then there are the "in between" flights when everything slows down. The shuttle departs on a regular schedule. There is a fee charged by the airport every time the shuttle enteres the terminal area. The shuttle leaves on the hour and half hour. We accommodate special shuttle requests as long as other guests are going to the airport for a departing flight or the driver is called for a terminal pick-up.
Denny's is a decided asset for the hotel guests--room service is provided.
Thank you for submitting your review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
british columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

We overnighted at LAX recently, and we had this hotel prebooked through an agency as we had a $25 credit. My usual choice for a hotel reservation at the airport would have been to go through one of the opaque hotel booking sites.

As has been mentioned, the property is older, very much a sprawling period building set on quite a busy road. The surrounding area doesn't have a lot going for it, but it is very close to LAX and therefore very convenient for an overnight.

I called the hotel at LAX (and was put on hold for about 7 minutes, I thought the phone had been put down) and was told the bus would be there within a few minutes. We were very fortunate to find that the van had been held and was waiting for us, so were at the hotel within a few minutes after exiting the terminal.

The grounds are beautifully landscaped and the outdoor swimming pool (I didn't use it) looked extremely clean - not something you can say about all budget accommodation facilities. The rooms again were older motel style, we had a room a long way away from reception, but even with background LAX airport noise, it was pretty quiet and we slept well. The room again, was spotless - the shower unit had absolutely no grunge anywhere on the tiling and fixtures, and sparkled.

We ate at Denny's and had a very pleasant predictable meal there. The staff there were exceptionally friendly and accommodating.

Breakfast the next morning was included, and was a continental style. The breakfast room was very busy and hectic, but again was kept clean and tidy by efficient servers. The range was more than reasonable - the standard juice, coffee, breads and cereals.

Overall I was very impressed with the care and attention to the property and grounds, given its age. I'm not sure though that I would pay $90 including tax to stay here as there are alternatives on opaque sites for better hotels in the same overall price range.

Room Tip: if you are noise sensitive and don't mind the stroll, ask for a room away from W Century Blvd an...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
On behalf of the hotel managers and staff thank you for submitting a review of your recent stay. Your description of the property is extremely accurate. Cleanliness is a top priority of the housekeeping and grounds team. Personable and friendly front desk staff is also a key to the our 97% occupancy rate.
Denny's provides quality food and outstanding service...plus there is a quiet lounge that service mixed drinks and provides a different setting in which to eat.
Room rate...yes, there are accommodation that have a 2 or 2.5 star rating with room rates that are modestly higher than ours. However, the amenities of the Travelodge are not available at these properties...free Wi-Fi, continental breakfast, newspaper, and free parking during a guest's length of stay.Area is important.
Durras North, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

My flight was delayed and re-scheduled six hours. After arriving 12.30 am, all I wanted was a shower and bed. No sooner had I walked through the door, the power to Travelodge and over 4000 LAX homes was lost. It still had not started when I left at 8.30 am the next morning. As you can assume, other than the quick shower I got in before the water was cold, I was not a happy chappy.

However, I can in no way discredit the Hotel. The worker welcomed me with a smile, directed me to my room and ensured that the bus was there to take me to the next leg of my flight. The room was spacious, clean and was well set up. I would have no trouble recommending this location as a stop over on the next leg of your trip. I would even consider staying there when I return mid May, next year.

Room Tip: Get a double or king size room. You will have sufficient space
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Not a pleasant experience to be in a hotel when there is a major power outage for thousands of homes and businesses. I appreciate your acknowleding that you were not a happy camper, very understandably, yet you were still able to respond to the positive aspects of your stay. Thank you for submitting your review.
Aurora, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

Our stay at the Travelodge was excellent. The room was comfortable and the view of the inner gardens made it seem as if we were somewhere far from LA. The personnel were extremely kind and helpful, making sure that our rather large gathering of family was comfortable. We asked them to give us plenty of time for a trip to the pier for a cruise to Mexico, and they awakened us with time for breakfast next door, and for the taxi. I have stayed here before, taking a late flight to Indonesia, and they allowed me to stay until I had to go to LAX, and I stayed on my return, enjoying a restful sleep before boarding an early plane to the east coast.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Michael19490_10, Manager at Travelodge Hotel LAX Los Angeles Intl, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
On behalf of the staff and management thank you for taking the time to submit your review. We are most pleased that we were able to fulfill your family's lodging needs. We appreciate your choosing to return and to stay with us when you are traveling through the Los Angeles airport area. The key to our success is the quality of service we provided for our guests. Manager
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

Wanted a place close to LAX for early departure and was attracted by $69 rate, checked out this morning to find $11.53 of taxes added on. Was ok for the price. Certainly an older somewhat dated place, but like in the old days, the rooms are spacious and the showers are small. Didn't hear too many of the night flights. They gave me a room at the back and was worried by the time I arrived there I would need a GPS to find my way back. Then my key didn't work and wasn't about to trudge my big suitcase back and down stairs. There are no elevators, apparently handicapped people didn't travel when this place was built. I rang the front desk from my mobile and they send a guy who let me in with his master key and returned quickly with two working keys for me.

If you're not expecting much and need a close place to stay it will suit your needs. Can't recommend the Hilton a block closer as I went there for beers and bar meal and practically had to set off signal flares to get service after the first beer. The staff were much more interested in conversing with other customers and themselves than taking my money. Gave up and went to the bar at Denny's next to Travelodge. Again don't expect much but did get better service.

The groundskeeper Travelodge gets a gold star from me. There is a lot of love put into keeping the planted areas spectacular.

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Michael19490_10, Manager at Travelodge Hotel LAX Los Angeles Intl, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Thanks for your review and praise of the landscaping. I use to tell my father at age 65 to keep his hair trimmed. I suggested to him that personal grooming softened the signs of aging...I have to edit his reply. However, the same situation exists with older buildings having the markings of age mellowed by lush flowers and fauna. I believe there are over 300 pots of flowers -- from roof tops to hall corridors and even in guest rooms.
The Denny's Restaurant and Lounge that connects to the hotel is less pricey and receives excellent ratings for price, food, and service.. Yes, the decor may not be as exotic as the high rise hotels but when you want a beer and a sandwich the surroundings and added price does not guarantee better taste and service.
City and States Taxes--what can I say about the pyramide of state, city, and county taxes!!!The old clique is true...the only two definite events in life are "death and taxes".
San Luis Obispo, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

Spent the day at Disneyland, but needed a room close to LAX due to a very early morning flight. Since we were getting to the motel fairly late (10:30 pm) and needed to check out by 5 a.m., we didn't want to spend a lot of money. The room was very clean, and although not modern or luxurious, everything was in good working order and seemed to be kept up fairly well. The front desk staff at check-in were very polite. We are very sound sleepers but traffic noise was very loud and it was hard to get to sleep. (Door faced Aviation Blvd.) The room did seem to have a very nice patio. Unfortunately, the power went out at the hotel sometime overnight and we were forced to leave without being able to shower prior to our long flight/drive. The bathroom was pitch black and we had to use the light from our cell phones in order to brush our teeth. Certainly not the way to start a long day of travel, especially after spending the prior day walking around Disneyland! Glad everything but our morning clothes/toiletries were packed before we went to bed. Good thing we use our cell phones as alarms as the room alarm clock and phone were out due to the power outage. We realize the motel was probably not to blame for the power outage but it was disappointing to pay $80 for the room and not able to shower. When we checked out, the gentleman at the front desk didn't say anything to us regarding the power outage and did not offer any sort of apology. The location is very close to LAX.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
A belated apology for the inconvenience you experienced in having to depart without a hot shower or receiving any acknowledgement from the front deskstaff regarding the power loss the area had experienced. Thank you for your comments regarding your satisfaction with your accommodations. Regrettably the hotel and staff were not able to end your stay on a high note.
Encino, Calif.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

I found the Travelodge at LAX to be a wonderful experience. The front desk people were very polite and helpful. They woke me at exactly the time I asked. The beds were comfortable. I was even able to have breakfast prior to going to the airport. I would definitely stay there again. Parking was very easy.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are a little larger. The rooms on the south side of the building are slightly quiet...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank June B
Thank you for submitting your comments regarding your recent stay. The key to the success of any customer oriented business is service. The hotel staff and management are very pleased when we are able to fulfill a traveler's lodging needs. The airport can be a stressful experince which motivates us to create a quiet tropical setting in which for even a brief moment a guest may enjoy a few moments of relaxation. With a 24 hr. Denny's Restaurant on site the convenience of a moderately price hotel and restaurant within 3/4 of a mile of the airport is a plus.