“This is how it should be done!”

Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel
Ranked #73 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
chesterfield
“This is how it should be done!”
Reviewed March 4, 2010

When you stay in chain hotels it can be difficult to separate one from another in your memory. The Renaissance LAX stands out for me because the staff here consistently give service over and above the norm.
Our room was on the club floors and was very comfortable though not as big a most US hotel rooms. The bathroom was the standard size with a good shower over a large tub. The Club lounge overlooks the runway at LAX. I spend a pleasant half hour watching planes in and out whilst drinking freshly brewed coffee from a Starbucks machine. The lounge provides a continental breakfast and, in the evening, pre-dinner snacks. Both offering a good selection, replenished regularly. there is also a dessert service late in the evening.
As I mentioned earlier the differentiating thing at this hotel is the staff. From the shuttle bus driver onward everyone was friendly, helpful and genuinely concerned we enjoy our stay. This is such a refreshing change for an airport hotel and the management and staff are to be commended and encouraged. The restaurant adjacent to the lobby bar served good food and the breakfast here was superb. The waiting staff were attentive and knowledgeable, nothing was too much trouble.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ridcroft

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Lakewood, Ohio
Reviewed March 4, 2010

We traveled to LA for business on an extremely tight schedule and only stayed one night. The next time we have to travel to LA, I hope it's for more than one night, so I could see if the rest of the Renaissance experience holds up to the little I was able to see.
That little bit was wonderful! From the location across the street from the rental car agency we used (Budget, which was a great savings on time when it came to returning the car before flying back out) to the small but well-appointed room with a good bed and the usual blanket-sandwich with high thread-count sheets. It took a few minutes to get really hot water to the shower, but otherwise there was no complaints about the room.
The breakfast buffet, with a station for omelets, had a small but very fresh selection of breakfast meats, breads, cereals, yogurts and fruits, along with fresh juices and smoothies. The price was reasonable for an LA hotel buffet - IIRC around $15.
The topper was the concierges, who loaned us an umbrella during "the most rain LA has seen in 10 years!" according to the weatherman on TV, and also gave us a map and tips on getting around on the surface streets, and reliable recommendations for all our questions.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Seattle, Wa
Reviewed February 25, 2010

Stayed here on a lay over with my family. Was picked up by the Shuttle at the International Terminal and quickly dropped at the hotel. Bellmen helped with our bags. Check in was super easy and bags were waiting for us when we got to our room.
We had two rooms, that adjoined. Rooms and bathroom are pretty small. Typical for an airport/business type hotel but had a great rate through Marriott that could not pass up. Beds very comfortable and heating control seemed to work just fine. The room was quite with the exception of the loud party going on down the hallway....Did not hear any LAX noise and had a room facing LAX. The room was cramped but very modern and updated. Nice Flat screen TV's in each room.
There is a burger King directly across the street which was a life saver as my little ones don't do well off the room service menu.
Only big negative was the return shuttle to the airport. apparently the entire hotel (or at least 35 of us) wanted to get on the 6:45 AM shuttle to LAX. Instead of ordering another empty shuttle, the literally jammed everyone into this one shuttle like a circus car. The shuttle bus actually bottomed out as it left the parking lot. Not safe at all. I was pretty disappointed that this was allowed, but really needed the ride to catch our flight. I would hope in the future they would not over stuff a bus like they did. Once we got the airport it was even more trouble as we tried to get off the bus, and have the correct bags passed out..brutal.
All in all I would stay here again as the price was right.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Austin
Reviewed February 14, 2010

I was here once before, maybe 5 years ago, and thought it was good. This time, i'm thinking it's fab. The bed was super comfortable. The room was HUGELY quiet. No LAX noise at all, WOW. The LAX shuttle service was VERY good, the driver helped with my oversized bag, very good service. The restaurant needs more light (could barely read menu) but the service was GREAT and the food was REALLY GOOD.

i'm actually a picky person when it comes to hotels, but this one was quite good and i'll be back when in LA. Really happy with this one.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank profwho88
Edison, New Jersey
Reviewed February 10, 2010

Not a bad one, expensive food, but I preferred since it was close to airport.

Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
Naples, Florida
Reviewed February 8, 2010

Picked it for the location to the airport and the great prepaid internet rate. They put us on the club lounge level, very nice! We were coming from a 2 week cruise. (I wish the NCL cruise ship had the staff and the chef that this hotel had!!) Great food in dining room and the room service food was FABULOUS! My adult daughter got sick from the cruise and we had to extend our stay. They gave me the same discounted prepaid rate I had for the extended day, offered to have someone sit with my daughter while I ran to the pharmacy and the room service staff said they would fix whatever we needed even if it weren't on the menu!! All this for 79.00 US per night? I will never stay anywhere else in LA!!!

• Stayed January 2010
1 Thank travelmomEarth
Delaware
Reviewed February 6, 2010

This was a quick trip to LA for business, so my stay in the Renaissance Montura was quick. However, i managed to test out many of the features and services they had to offer.

First, the good:
- Excellent service. Very attentive, friendly, and willing to please
- Great location. Along with the complimentary airport shuttle, it was a breeze to get to and from the hotel
- Room Service. I always order breakfast from room service and the meal arrived hot, fresh, and very tasty. Most room service, and especially for breakfast, arrives luke warm, and somewhat dry. not the case here.
- Free WiFi in lobby. They also had power stations to plug in laptops, and made it very easy in general to take care of business.

Now, the bad:
- Rooms were a bit dingy. My room wasnt dirty per se, but it definitely had a worn feel and look about it
- Showers. Barely warm water, and a shower head that could not have been more than 5'6". I am 6'4", so it was an awkward shower at best
- NOT free WiFi in the rooms. I dont understand this, they have free WiFi in the lobby, why not in the rooms? And why is the free lobby WiFi not communicated to us? I paid $10 for internet in the room, only to find out the next morning that it was free in the lobby. We're only going to stand for $10-20 internet access for so long before we start changing our business travel habits accordingly. I am personally very close to only booking hotels that offer free WiFi, regardless of the other amenities.
- The downstairs bar - bartender was very friendly, but $9 for a well vodka and cranberry? Are you serious? This isnt some hot spot and it wasnt saturday night. It was Tuesday afternoon in an empty hotel bar. $9 for a watered down drink?

Finally, i rated Value at 3 stars. I got a great rate, but only through a discounter website. Full retail at this hotel would not be worth it in my opinion

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business