“Nice, but a Little Dated”

Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel
Ranked #76 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed April 18, 2014

The wife and I stayed here for 1 out of 3 night we were in LA while traveling back to HNL from LHR. We chose to stay here the night before our return flight to HNL to avoid having to commute from Anaheim, and though it's close to the airport, it certainly isn't walking distance.

Despite being close to the airport, we retained our rental car overnight so that we could run last minute errands the following day. We arrived later in the evening and grabbed one of the last remaining parking stalls in the relatively small parking garage. After parking, we headed down to the lobby to check-in. Upon check-in, my Platinum Elite status was acknowledged and we were upgraded to a Jr Suite and offered a choice of amenity or points.

Our room was on a high-floor, near the elevator and was of a good size. The Jr Suite had a king bed with a separate sitting area, with a TV in both the sitting area and by the bed. The room also had a view of the runway, so it was great for plane spotting. The room itself was also nicely appointed, though just a tad dated. It really wasn't bad, I'm just nitpicking here. I've seen much worst. Beyond decor, the bed was comfortable, the room was clean and the bathroom had good toiletries (Aveda).

Service-wise, the hotel was pretty good as well. The staff was friendly and courteous, though the one service hiccup I did experience was at breakfast. With the Club Lounge closed on the weekend, we were given vouchers for the restaurant. The voucher covered continental breakfast with the option of upgrading to the full buffet. Breakfast was fine enough, though when we finished, our waiter decided to point out that the voucher doesn't cover gratuity and seemed intent on letting us know we needed to tip. Otherwise, though, we had no issues with the service here.

Would I stay here again? Of course! It's a nice, quiet, comfortable and convenient property. And as an added bonus, it has decent plane spotting for all the AvGeeks out there!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael W, General Manager at Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience while visiting Los Angeles. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay, from your view of the runway, to our friendly and courteous service. I also appreciate your honest feedback on your breakfast experience, and our room decor. We strive to provide the best service and experience possible and your comments help to direct us towards that goal. I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Renaissance Los Angeles, should your travels bring you back to the area.

Michael Wlodkowski

Write a ReviewReviews (1,824)

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Stayed for two nights.
The hotel was very average. The staff were friendly and helpful.
The rooms and property were clean but dated.. Old Style furnishings and decor - could use an upgrade to give it the crisp, modern look and feel that hotels are embracing.
Restaurant food was okay.. nothing exceptional but okay.
Club lounge food was decent too and quickly refreshed by the attendant.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Michael W, General Manager at Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel! I appreciate your honest feedback, as your comments allow us to maintain and improve the guest experience. I am glad to know that you found the staff to be friendly and helpful! We strive for the best in our guest services and I am happy to hear the attendants were efficient. Thank you for joining us and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future!

Reviewed April 14, 2014

Wife and I stayed here twice in the last two weeks, coming and going from Hawaii. Good location for overnight if you have a flight the next day. Shuttle Service is prompt both ways.
Standard rooms on the small size w/small one person bathrooms. We were upgraded one night to a larger room with a separate sitting room w/large flat screen TV and double bathroom (very nice). Hotel is clean and service at the front desk is fast and courteous. Exec club on the 11th floor has an excellent Breakfast. Check your bill before you leave we were billed for Hotel parking and we didn't have a vehicle. All around, you should be happy HERE

Room Tip: Views from most rooms look out over parking lots, not much to ask for
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Michael W, General Manager at Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2014

Thank you for joining us at the Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel! I appreciate the time you have taken to offer a review. It is wonderful to know that you found our location to be convenient and the shuttle service to be prompt. Thank you for your positive feedback on the state of our hotel, the level of service, and the excellent breakfast. I am sorry to hear about the parking charges. Please feel to call the hotel if you would like to discuss this matter further. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed April 11, 2014

The hotel was excellent and we really enjoyed our stay. The room was big and comfy the bed was very comfy, the service was impeccable and the complimentary breakfast was delicious. I would stay there again the next time I am coming to LA.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Michael W, General Manager at Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share a review of your experience at the Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel. Your positive feedback about the big, comfortable rooms, and delicious complimentary breakfast are greatly appreciated. I am especially pleased to hear that you received impeccable service during your stay as we pride ourselves on providing excellent customer service. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you plan to stay with us again. I look forward to welcoming you in the future!

Reviewed April 8, 2014

I'm not a real fan of the LAX neighborhood. I've stayed up and down the row over the years and have never really enjoyed anything but the convenience of rolling out the door and catching a morning flight. But now I have a go to place at the Renaissance. It fully lives up to the standards of the brand in service, decor and overall experience. It was actually cheaper than the Marriott that faces the frontage road and airport, and much nicer inside. To top it off, its location just behind the hotels that front the airport make it a quiet oasis. I never heard a plane! That contributed immensely to a good night's sleep and a good flight out the next morning. If you're looking for a nice property convenient to LAX, I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank brewski59
Michael W, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2014

Thank you for sharing a review of your time at the Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel! I am so pleased to hear that you have enjoyed the decor, our level of service, and our location near LAX. It is great to know that you were able to have a good night's sleep during your stay. I appreciate your recommendation and hope to welcome you back in the future, should your travels bring you back to Los Angeles.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

Upon arrival, no one really acknowledged us or greeted us. When someone at the counter finally decided to pay attention to us, he was somewhat short with us and not very polite. He explained that they had no more availability for a king bed (what we reserved) and put my husband and I in a room with 2 beds. He gave us our key cards and we walked to our room--only to find as I opened the door that the room was occupied (SO SO awkward and embarrassing barging in on someone). We then went back downstairs to get a new room. As we told them someone had already been occupying the room, the same man who first checked us in didn't even apologize and remained to be impolite.

Once we got to our room, it was nice. It was clean and pleasant. The beds were extremely comfy, the comforters were so fluffy and cozy. We really liked the room. Although, the shower had no hot water. Upon turning the water on, it was merely warm and only got colder as time went on. We were only there for a night or we would have asked to switch rooms.

So, great beds. Clean room. Clean bathroom. Customer service needs some work. And the hot water thing should be a given. The walking in on someone else because of carelessness was the deal breaker. Without that happening, I would have given a better rating. If a stranger had walked into my hotel room, I would be LIVID--I really felt worse for the people we barged in on. It is just not okay. When checking into a room, you expect full privacy. Not here I suppose!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kelsra
Michael W, General Manager at Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I can't apologize enough for the room error. I want you to know that we take security very seriously and will use your feedback to ensure that this does not happen again. I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your room, particularly the beds. I hope you will join us again in the future to give us the chance to redeem ourselves, and to show you that service truly is our strength. Thank you again for your honest comments.

Reviewed April 6, 2014

Just got checked in by Mohammed Ali. Was probably one of the quickest check ins I have ever experienced! Was thoroughly professional and particularly welcoming!!! Have just finished a sumptuous repast at the bar, steak with a good glass of Malbec. All in all a great stay so far!!!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

I am glad to hear that you have enjoyed your overall experience at the Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel! Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback. I am glad to know that you found the check-in to be efficient and professional. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your steak and Malbec as well. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you again!