“Great Stop-Over Hotel”

Ranked #63 of 349 Hotels in Los Angeles
Baltimore, MD
“Great Stop-Over Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2008

My wife and I stayed here a couple of nights before leaving for Singapore in early April '08. It is situated just shy of being in a flight-path for LAX. The surrounding area is pretty much a rental-car wasteland. Nothing of significance is within close, walking distance.

The only two dining options within walking distance are the hotel's offerings or a Burger King directly across the street. We ate dinner at one of the small number of tables included in the "bar". Drinks were a bit on the pricey side for us (what's up with wine prices these days??), and the food itself a bit less so, but the staff were very friendly, and the food was pretty tasty and creatively presented. In spite of our proximity to a flight path, our room was surprisingly quiet. It was also small, but clean, modern and comfortable. I can't remember offhand how much we paid, but I booked it through Hotwire and remember thinking that it was a very good deal for the money. I would give it a definite thumbs-up for a stop-over hotel.

• Liked — Great value close to the airport.
  • Disliked — No restaurants, shops, etc. nearby
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2008

I stayed 1 night here on a lay-over from SIN-LAX and LAX-MOB to break up what would have been a totally unbearable journey.

Transport was free by courtesy shuttle from LAX to the hotel. To catch it, you have to go out of the airport onto the curb following the signs for hotel courtesy shuttle and just wait around for the bus that flashes marriott/renaissance to pull up. It's a short 5 minutes journey from the airport to the hotel, dropping off at Marriott first.

Room was large, comfortable beds with an over surplus of pillows. not that I am going to complain of course. Although I booked for a breakfast to be included in the room rates, my next day flight was too early for me to consume it at a reasonable time so the front counter was kind enough to convert it to free internet access at no extra charge.

The room only comes with a shower and no tub. A shower curtain prevents you from wetting the other parts of the bathroom but doesn't stop the water from flowing outwards especially if you have it running at speed for a while.

The room was very well sound proofed and although you can see planes landing about a kilometer away, you can't hear them.

I spoted a burger king next to the hotel. there are restaurants on the ground but I did not avail my self to them, choosing instead to turn in early for the next day flight.

Next morning was a breezy check out followed by the same easy shuttle ride to my connecting flight. It happens that the bus pulled up immediately when I got to the lobby so there was no waiting time needed at all!

All in, plenty good hotel. will stay here again.

• Liked — Proximity to the airport for connecting flights
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2008

I stayed at the Renaissance Montura during a layover at LAX. I booked the room for $99/ night on Priceline and what a great deal!

Luckily, the free shuttle van was waiting just outside of baggage claim when I got outside. The van was full, but comfortable. It stops at the Marriott first and then the Renaissance. The driver was very helpful with luggage.

Check-in was speedy and friendly. I do love that they still give you Marriott points even when you buy on Priceline. They had all of my requests in the reservations and were able to accommodate (high floor, away from elevator, etc.)

The lobby and property all look new and well maintained. It is funny...the decor is a just a touch over the top and cluttered...but it is pretty. The bar and restaurant area are nice looking and clean.

The room was very big. As you can see in the picture...you are right at the airport and on a major street...but there was ZERO noise. There is not a lot of late night dining options within walking distance. However, the late night menu was good and the prices were reasonable. The big bottles of Fiji water are only $4.50 which is actually a good price for hotel water these days!

The bed is very comfortable. The linens were of a nice quality. The sitting area and desk area were spacious. They do provide robes and a safe that will accommodate your laptop (free of charge.)

The bathroom was very big. They stock the typical Renaissance Lather products (which I really like.) They have just about anything you need...which is nice on a layover, etc. The towels were plentiful and a nice quality.

Check-out was also speedy. The shuttle van to the airport runs every 15 minutes. If you are like me and you cut time short...and you just miss the van...there are plenty of cabs in front of the hotel. It was an $11/ 8 minute cab ride from the hotel to the United Domestic terminal.

I've also stayed at the Westin LAX...which I really liked. I think the Renaissance was just as good and for the price...you can't beat it.

• Liked — The bed was really comfortable!
  • Disliked — The decor is a little cluttered for my taste.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2008

We were moving from the U.S. (Texas) to Australia and wanted to overnight in Los Angeles the night before our long flight to Australia. We selected the Renaissance Montura based on price and revues, plus I'm a Marriott member. We couldn't have made a better choice. The hotel is only a few minutes from Los Angeles Airport, and provides a free shuttle. The hotel interior is beautiful, as was our room. We had dinner, and lunch the following day, in the lobby bar. The halibut we had for dinner and the duck quesadillas we had for lunch the next day were both delicious and beautifully presented. The quesadillas had a hint of banana in them - sounds funny, but it made for a wonderful taste combination. We sat around the hotel lobby from a late checkout time of 3 PM until about 7 PM when we left for the airport , reading and chatting, and thoroughly enjoying our time there. The staff and everything about the hotel was great.

• Liked — beauty of the hotel interior, room, food, convenience to the airport
  • Disliked — no complaints
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2008

we checked in at the Renaissance after a sleepless trans-Pacific flight from Sydney to LA. Though we arrived at 11:00 am, early check-in was no problem. Our room was really comfortable, very attractively decorated, extremely quiet, and moderately spacious. We even had a very large LCD flat panel TV. Everyone was super friendly and efficient from the moment we arrived. We forgot to ask for a portacot for our toddler; the smiling bellman arrived within two minutes. Not enough towels, another smiling bellman arrived within five minutes. The bed was incredibly comfortable and we all immediately fell into bed for 3-1/2 hours of a blissful nap after the aforementioned sleepless flight. We heard absolutely no airport noise, though my toddler daughter was delighted to be able to watch the planes come and go out of our window.

The food in the cafe was excellent (though just a bit pricey) and the staff there were exceedingly kind and efficient there as well. Seeing our toddler they made sure to bring out our food quickly, which we greatly appreciated. They even brought us complimentary chocolate covered strawberries for dessert.

We booked our stay through my corporate travel agent for $118 per night plus tax and would stay here again in a heartbeat. An excellent experience all around.

• Liked — Great service, comfortable bed, quiet rooms
  • Disliked — nothing, an entirely satisfactory experience
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
Huddersfield, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2008

I used this an overnight airport hotel, arriving late evening and leaving very early in the morning so experience was limited. I just missed the shuttle leaving LAX - I saw it drive off as I exited the terminal building - and had a rather long wait for the next one. Probably about 20-25 minutes. I wish I had just taken a taxi.

On arrival all was put right as I found that despite being a mere Marriott Silver card holder I had been upgraded to a suite. Loads of space, adequately furnished but in the typical Marriott style (i.e. I would not choose this for my own residence!). Great soft comfy bed though, just what I needed after a TATL flight. Triple glazing worked well to insulate the airport noise. Or at least, until the air-con switched itself on, damaged motor, sounded like a bus starting up. It was not hot so I just turned it off: I was in the wrong timezone to bother making a complaint to the front desk.

I didn't bother with breakfast the next day and the shuttle back to LAX was prompt.

My late late surprise was an email survey I received from the hotel after the visit, I filled it in and mentioned the air-con problem. Shall we just say that the hotel delighted me with an excellent service recovery.

• Liked — Comfy bed, good sound insulation, room upgrade
  • Disliked — air-con problem, shuttle frequency
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
Lawrenceville, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2008

I stayed at the Renaissance for just one night, after a flight delay. My stay there was fantastic though and made up for terrible travel issues earlier in the day. I checked in late at night and the staff was very fast and friendly. The room was beautiful and very comfortable. The bed was excellent, although the towels could have been a bit shofter. Great shower and water pressure. For the price I paid ($129 including taxes) it was great. I was on the club level so a free breakfast was included. I'd definitely recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a nice, reasonably-priced hotel near the airport. The one thing to keep in mind is that the hotel shuttle doesn't run very frequently at night...if you're coming in super late (I landed after midnight) you may want to think about taking a cab for the brief ride instead of waiting forever for a shuttle to show up.

• Liked — Staff, location, comfort of bed
  • Disliked — Frequency of late night shuttle
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo